Les Discrets
Virée Nocturne

good

by TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (144 Reviews)
August 16th, 2016 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: ambitious, awkward, and melancholic

In an attempt to break free of his post-rock and shoegaze roots, Virée Nocturne despite its faults, is a revitalizing effort in the Fursy/Les Discrets cannon. As stated on the group's bandcamp, this EP is a reinvention of the band, gleaning influence from acts outside of Les Discrets' usual musical spectrum while retaining the group's established air of melancholy and melodicism. Undeniably, they succeed; supplemented by trip-hop's solemn atmosphere, "Virée Nocturne" paints with Les Discrets' familiar gray palette, and the result is fantastic. It's brooding with pangs of shoegaze guitar and ethereal vocals protruding through the haze to compliment the down-tempo, processed percussion. The juxtaposition of elements blend together seamlessly, and the track is undoubtedly the strongest of the three here. The demo version of "Le Reproach" exudes potential with its fusion of styles, leaning more towards the band's traditional sound while incorporating a sleek electronic edge. It's gorgeous and forlorn, if not a bit too repetitive. The only track where Fursy's ambition works against him is the second song "Capricorni.Virginis.Corvi". The song lacks any cohesion, haphazardly slapping grating drum-rolls over bleak instrumentals with no purpose or progression. It's a disaster, and a clear demonstration of the risk in what Fursy is trying to accomplish.

Though the title-track (and its awesome ambient-esque remix courtesy of Dälek and Deadverse) may be the only thing on Virée Nocturne that is exceptional, there is certainly enough happening throughout the EP to generate curiosity for the group's upcoming full-length Prédateurs. As seen here, the potential for what that record could be is simultaneously exciting and worrisome. When properly handled the new elements greatly contribute to Les Discrets' melancholy-filled soundscapes; when mishandled, it's a veritable mess. Hopefully the new record is a better execution of this new direction, but only time will tell.

Counterparts You're Not You AnymoreBlood Incantation Starspawn
Paramore After LaughterConverge The Dusk in Us
Drowning the Light The Vampire CipherSenses Fail If There Is Light, It Will Find You
2.8
good

August 16th 2016

I really enjoy the first track a lot, and "Le Reproach" could be great depending on what they do with it. Second track was trash. Never was a *huge* fan of this group, but I'm excited to see what their new record will sound like.

You can listen here https://les-discrets.bandcamp.com/album/vir-e-nocturne

Gmork89
August 16th 2016

What Spirit said, first track is great and if the full length is similar I think it could be a good album.

ScuroFantasma
August 16th 2016

Nice rev Spirit. First sentence needs a comma after the album name I think. This looks pretty short, imma jam.

Digging: Four Fists - 6666

LotusFlower

12001 Comments

this all sounds like its gonna be really good but the score says otherwise aghh

ZippaThaRippa

Les Discrets have always sucked

iM DIGGIN THE TITLE TRACK. I NEED THE RESSSST

Gmork89
August 17th 2016

Yeah first track rules, bring on an album like that I'm all ears.

Hawks
August 17th 2016

Oh yeah gotta hear this.

Digging: Four Fists - 6666

August 17th 2016

Thanks guys. Will fix Scuro.

Maniac!
August 17th 2016

I agree with this assessment

August 17th 2016

I agree with you agreeing with me.

Maniac!

agreed

DungeonBoy
August 17th 2016

They've always been a solid post-metal/shoegaze/etc band, partially filling the void between Alcest releases, but I'm not so sure about this new sound. First listen was okay, fairly boring throughout, and honestly wasn't a huge fan of the electronic trip-hop rhythms. A very passive EP for me, probably won't come back to this, but also won't write off future albums based on this. But hey, good review!

Digging: Allelic - The Smoke of Atavistic Fires

bnelso55
August 17th 2016

Good review. Listening now and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Although I like some of their older material, I don't think this is for me.

Digging: Sangre de Muerdago - Noite

August 17th 2016

thanks guys. The first track is the only one that I think is really worth revisiting. I could take or leave the other two tbh, but this definitely piques my interest for their upcoming record.

teamster

I'll stick with Lantlos

Digging: Agrypnie - Grenzgnger

RikRoach7
August 17th 2016

this is nothing like Lantlôs anymore though.
and Lantlôs isn't like Lantlôs anymore either.

August 17th 2016

Lantlos wasn't never even that great to begin with

teamster
August 17th 2016

Neon and Agape are good. Melting Sun is one of the best records I've ever heard.

August 17th 2016

that's their worst imo, I wish they woulda stuck with some black metal jams