Tauusk
Hunter

by insomniac15 STAFF
July 30th, 2016 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Doom/drone/dark ambient for your blackened soul...

Tauusk is a Romanian, one man drone/dark ambient project that specializes in prolonged, surreal compositions that could fit anywhere from David Lynch’s weirdest projects to just about any post-apocalyptic scenarios. The haunting soundscapes that blend distorted guitars, washes of noise and synth layers create an impressing, vivid atmosphere. This 3rd release, Hunter, clocks in at around 2 hours, evolving into an attention demanding journey that also manages to drown you in a weirdly enjoyable haze. Augmented throughout by horns, the 40-minute centerpiece, ‘Lament’, starts like a distant call that drags you deeper into its universe with each minute. Heavily distorted, Sunn O))) influenced guitars slowly soar, until they are drowned by solos of the brass section. ‘Hiemal’ & ‘Famine’ continue in this direction, complemented by sharp guitar and eerie piano leads, albeit with a more nostalgic approach. Meanwhile, ‘Trails’ boasts a ghastly vibe, comprised of windy layers on top of several samples, as well as a mix of blissful and morbid voice manipulations towards the finale. It reminds of ‘The Spirits That Lend Strength Are Invisible’ off Ulver’s latest LP, ATGCLVLSSCAP. Then, we finally reach to the end of this harsh trip where the rather smooth, straightforward dirge, ‘Wolves’ acts like a comedown. This track ends what arguably became the most streamlined Tauusk effort, especially when compared to its double-CD counterpart, Refuge, which felt a bit too long. Of course, this is a type of music that requires a certain mood and patience to digest. However, at the right time, it offers a thrilling listen.

Wordclock HeraldsCausa Sui Vibraciones Doradas
Cairo Knife Fight SevenBodyjar Terra Firma
Carbon Based Lifeforms DerelictsMonolord Rust

July 30th 2016

Cool stuff and it's free - http://tauusk.bandcamp.com/album/hunter

Digging: Wordclock - Heralds

Ocean of Noise

Sounds sweet.

Digging: Carbon Based Lifeforms - Derelicts

July 30th 2016

Yeah, the album really creates a sphere of its own when listening to it.

dmp3131
July 31st 2016

Gonna download this one, sounds really cool. Nice review as well, short and sweet and gives great insight on what to expect.

brainmelter
July 31st 2016

short & sweet write up, will check

Digging: Outre - Ghost Chants

July 31st 2016

Gracias! It's the first time I managed to write only an article and it felt weird. I usually start describing more and end up with at least 2 big chunks of text.

emester

Whoa

dis is pretty splendid. Apocalyptic af

Digging: Morbid Angel - Kingdoms Disdained

Pho3nix
July 31st 2016

This is very interesting, thanks for the review!

deezer666
July 31st 2016

Sounds right down my alley

Digging: Throane - Plus Une Main A Mordre

Hawks
July 31st 2016

Gonna jam this tomorrow at work, sounds so sweet.

Digging: The Body and Full Of Hell - Ascending a Mountain of Heavy Light

Maniac!
August 1st 2016

this sounds like my kind of shit

mindleviticus

so fucking good

Hawks
August 1st 2016

Wow this is really, really good.

Flugmorph
August 2nd 2016

Im loving the cover.

CAW CAW CAW

Maniac!
August 8th 2016

pretty good

feels like a david lynch movie

ATARI
August 25th 2016

cool review man, nice to see you review something kinda outside of your typical forte. dug the shorter read as well...gonna check this out

Digging: Amy Shark - Night Thinker

Archelirion
August 25th 2016

Thanks for the bump; meant to check this when it came out but I had no usable internet :3

This kinda thing (or at least, what I'm expecting) works well with the shorter format I'd say. dug the shorter read [2]

August 27th 2016

Thanks Atari! I struggled a bit to keep it this short, I usually write more by default.