Astronoid
Air

by DungeonBoy USER (6 Reviews)
June 16th, 2016 | 120 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An ethereal and uplifting listening experience, pairing perfectly with the album’s namesake and cover art.

After two short EPs, Massachusetts’ Astronoid have released their debut LP, Air, on Blood Music. Weaving together a myriad of styles including, post-rock, shoegaze, and black metal, these self-proclaimed “Dream Thrash(ers)” have concocted a tasteful blend of musical genres. The result is an ethereal and uplifting listening experience, pairing perfectly with the album’s namesake and cover art.

The album kicks off with a straightforward melodic post-rock build, drenched in delay and reverb, which is quickly greeted with pounding percussion and saturated guitars. Like a spring breeze, the soaring clean vocals ease their way into the mix and introduce the listener to the weightlessness of Air. The drums kick into double bass, the guitars begin their hypnotic riffing, but the soaring feeling remains ever present. Throughout the entirety of Air, uplifting melodies carry the music in and out of several dynamic shifts. The harmony of blast beats and tremolo riffs, are intertwined with more subdued drumming and hypnotic guitar builds. Above all, however, are the vocals hovering like a cloud amidst the reverie.

It would be a disservice to Astronoid to label them as just another “blackgaze” band. While they share a lot in common with similar acts, such as Deafheaven, the subtle musical variety and fantastic song writing set them apart from their peers. At times the vocals sound like something you’d expect to hear from Circa Survive while other parts are reminiscent of latter day Anathema. There are guitar riffs that could have been written by Scale the Summit and others that would pleasantly sit alongside Van Halen. Astronoid manage to blend all of these ideas into a cohesive 50 minute experience that manages to never stray far away from their distinct sound.

With Air, Astronoid have crafted the kind of album that can be enjoyed actively, due to its intricate nuances, or passively due to its hypnotic, dreamlike allure. By masterfully blending a variety of styles into an overall interconnected sound, Astronoid have made their sound difficult to label, and have produced an album worth checking out for anyone who enjoys progressive music.

Nhor Wildflowers: SummerEloign Old Yarns
Meus SeptemberFields of Mildew II
Konkeror The Abysmal Horizons

Stargazer

June 16th 2016

Album is streaming and pay what you want on Bandcamp.

Digging: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

June 16th 2016

thanks bro, I'll fix that.

bnelso55
June 16th 2016

Good work on the review, Dungeon! I haven't heard anything from these guys, so I'll be sure to check this out.

June 16th 2016

Thanks man! This is a little outside my musical norm, but I find something very appealing about this album. It's a nice break from all the minor.

cool

this is much better than deafheaven though

DarkNoctus
June 16th 2016

this album really is something

noctus m/

June 16th 2016

"i'm not too keen on deafheaven becoming the go-to comparison for blackgaze either but w/e"

Nor am I, but they have managed to establish themselves as one of the more popular references.

June 16th 2016

idk it just feels counterproductive to compare other, better bands to one of the safest and blandest around.

i don't mind deafheaven but they're just ok

June 16th 2016

I agree they are just ok, which is why I made a point to mention that "the subtle musical variety and fantastic song writing set them apart from their peers" with the intention of indicating that a certain similar band is lacking.

pos'd btw

June 16th 2016

Thanks bro, we're on the same page.

June 16th 2016

dream thrash might still be one of the dumbest things i've ever heard, at least considering this sounds nothing like thrash in any way

but i like this band

June 16th 2016

this is like voivod with cleans wtf u talkin bout

June 16th 2016

this sounds nothing like voivod at all are you insane

i do prefer their gaze stuff very heavily over this tho

June 16th 2016

dont try me bro i know thrash just czech my pie chart

cmon

PortalofPerfection

1991 Comments

Gotta get on this. Low score from OvDeath pretty much guarantees I'll like it.

June 16th 2016

if you like the idea of Lantlos with blastbeats and Wonder Years riffs, this should be right up your alley ;-)