Gorgosaur
Lurking Among Corpses

by Arche USER (86 Reviews)
May 1st, 2016 | 7 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Chainsaw riffs, punky vibes and a healthy dose of grim imagery; it's nothing all that new, but it's a blast all the same.

Once the menacing piano of opening track 'Basement Funeral Hymn' slows to its incomplete finale, it becomes very, very plain as to what Malmö based duo Gorgosaur bring to the table. An obvious yet satisfying throwback to the infamous Stockholm sound, Lurking Among Corpses delivers grinding guitar tones, blast beats and acidic growls in abundance, clipping much of the frivolities that 'progression' tends to bring in favour of a streamlined recreation.

Peel back the sheen of putrefaction that surrounds Lurking Among Corpses however, and the result is something far more 'alive' than it may immediately appear. Gorgosaur are at their most colourful, if such a word should be used, when Åsa Hagström has control of vocal duties. This by no means belittles Martin Schönherr's ability, whose swampy growl forms the primary medium for their tales of the underworld - indeed, his performance on the title track is a highlight of the whole album. Yet, Hagström changes the atmosphere simply with the addition of her voice, enhancing the crusty nature of the riffs by virtue of a vitriolic, more punk-fuelled delivery. As a result, tracks like 'Body Snatchers' and 'Pyromaniac Narrations' stand more as twisted human accomplices to the denizens of the underworld usually portrayed in these stories. More human, yet no less horrifying.

There's honestly little to no hiding from the fact that Gorgosaur are playing homage to their Stockholm forefathers on Lurking Among Corpses. The heightened punk influence presents something of an individuality, but largely speaking Gorgosaur aren't reinventing the wheel; grotesque images of exhumation, flesh-eating and the ilk are developed with glee alongside chainsaw riffs, and its succinct nature removes much in the way of subtlety. It arrives, tears and grapples and masticates for half an hour, and while the details may be hazy, the experience as a whole is grim. But also enjoyable, perhaps"

Asthma Castle Mount CrushmoreSnail's House Snö
The Body O God who avenges, shine forth. Rise up, Judge ofJohn Prine John Prine
Morrissey Low In High SchoolIDYLLS The Barn
good

April 30th 2016

I had a bit of trouble articulating it further than 'yeah, so this is basically Stockholm-esque death metal with a little more of a punk feel', but that's basically what I was getting at. Wanted to push forward how much fun this is than anything else. Any comments, suggestions and whatnot as always welcomed :] Check it out here -> http://gorgosaur.bandcamp.com/album/lurking-among-corpses

ScuroFantasma
April 30th 2016

"delivers grinding guitar tones, blast beats and acidic growls in abundance"

I'm sold, will check. Great write-up too man. When you mention the influences/the acts they're paying homage too, perhaps an example or two would be a good inclusion? Having no knowledge of this scene myself it'd make it easier for me to follow up on the source of their sound.

Edit: also your link, she be dead

Digging: Orville Peck - Pony

emester
April 30th 2016

OSDM is like my batman signal

will check

May 1st 2016

@Scuro: cheers man :] Yeah, that's actually not a bad idea, I'll see if I wangle a couple in, plus add them to the 'similar albums' list.Thanks for the feedback! As the for the link, just copy/paste it - I've removed the [url] bits now so you can't click it anyway, but it adds a couple of bits for some reason that kills the link.
@emester: Hope you dig dude!

Edit: So I was a bit of a prat, got my scenes mixed up. It's closer to the older Stockholm one than Gothenburg, which is actually obvious in retrospect. My bad!

ScuroFantasma
May 1st 2016

"It's closer to the older Stockholm one than Gothenburg"

How could you ;)

May 1st 2016

This is why you shouldn't act on impulses to write reviews at 1:30 in the morning ;]

Spacesh1p
May 1st 2016

Nice little review, pos. Sounds pretty cool.