Genesis
Seconds Out

by e210013 USER (110 Reviews)
March 30th, 2016 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1977 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This is the last real classic album of Genesis. It's simply one of the best live albums ever made and a landmark of the live venues of the 70's.

“Seconds Out” is the second live album of Genesis and was released in 1977. The line up on the album is Steve Hackett, Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins. The album has also the participation of Bill Bruford and Chester Thompson.

Besides “Seconds Out” be the Genesis’ second live album, it’s also their debut double live album. The live performances were recorded in Paris in 1976 and 1977 on their supporting live tours of “A Trick Of The Tail” and “Wind And Wuthering”, both albums released in 1976. This live album was recorded pretty soon after the departure of Gabriel. Collins therefore takes on the lead vocals on many tracks previously fronted by Gabriel, due to the post Gabriel Genesis material being in relatively short supply. It should be borne in mind that although “A Trick Of The Tail” had given a firm indication that there was life after Peter’s departure, fans attending live gigs were still apprehensive, seeking the reassurance that the old favourites would not simply be ditched. It represents also the farewell of Hackett of the group. He left during mid-1977, when “Seconds Out” was being mixed, to pursue a successful solo musical career.

As far as I can think, this is probably the last classic Genesis album, because it still features Hackett and it still relies mostly on the old classics. The diehard progressive fans usually don't even want to think of crossing the line between this and what followed. As this is a live album, of course, it doesn't have Phil on the drums. Bill Bruford, the first drummer to take over for Collins on stage, plays on one track, “The Cinema Show” and the rest it's Chester Thompson, who'd previously played with none other than Frank Zappa himself. Needless to say he's really good. He'd played stuff thrice as complex and witty as Genesis' moderately tricky signatures, and as an unpretentious drummer, he rules hard.

As a double live album, “Seconds Out” concentrates heavily on the classics tracks which the band just didn't get a chance to record, or to release live, while Gabriel was still hanging around. Looking at the track listing, we can see “Firth Of Fifth”, “I Know What I Like”, “The Cinema Show”, “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway”, “The Carpet Crawlers”, and, of course, a whole side dedicated to “Supper's Ready”. There's also a rather pointless, I must say, short excerpt of “The Musical Box”, a closing section. We have also plus some of the newer material, like “Squonk”, “Dance On A Volcano”, “Robbery, Assault And Battery” and “Los Endos”, which are all from “A Trick Of The Tail”, and strangely, there's only one number from “Wind And Wuthering”, “Afterglow”, which closes the original studio album.

About the performance of the tracks, “The Carpet Crawlers” is one of my favourite songs of “The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway” and I also like the version of the title track, very much. They do a precise job of recreating its enchanting texture, and Collins' pretty vocal performance is quite captivating. The songs from “A Trick Of The Tail” are the quirky and fun “Robbery, Assault & Battery” and a back-to-back smattering of the opener and closer, “Dance On A Volcano”, “Squonk” and the incredible “Los Endos”. The songs from “Selling England By The Pound” are all great and perfect. I find it puzzling that they removed the Banks’ mesmerizing piano introduction of “Firth Of Fifth” and even more puzzled to learn, later on, that he had completely replaced that song's characteristic piano and the harrowing flute solo with a simple soft synthesizer. They also extended “I Know What I Like” by four minutes, which is great. And you can tell that the audience was pleased to witness it. They erupt in cheers at some points. I liked that they pulled out, “The Cinema Show”, which is one of the best songs that Genesis has ever made and it remains a great version too. Fortunately, we have the awesomely full length covering of the 23 minute of “Supper's Ready”, which is absolutely great, but unfortunately, we have only the closing section of “The Musical Box”. By the other hand, “Afterglow” is very few from “Wind And Wuthering”, but we can’t have all we like to have, isn't true" So, we can say that all on this album is great.

Conclusion: On “Seconds Out” the musical performances are generally excellent, and the performance sounds virtually unaltered. Let's not forget the historical significance of the album, as well. The recording features both Genesis touring drummers, Bruford and Thompson, and of course the departing presence of Hackett. For the passive fan, perhaps this release would be questionable, but for true fans of the group, a double length live album is certainly more than welcome. Unlike later live collections, “Seconds Out” isn’t a greatest hits live package. It was a time capsule of the history of Genesis, something that more recent live albums have failed to be. Not because they focused on the popular songs, but because they mainly overlooked the diversity of the band's catalogue. Here, we can get a great retrospective of the live venues of the late of 70's. For me, it's without question, the best live collection ever released by the band.

Music was my first love.
John Miles (Rebel)

Refugee RefugeeStrawbs From the Witchwood
Badger One Live BadgerGTR GTR
Asia AsiaFlash Flash
4.3
ProgJect (5)
Despite Gabriel's absence, Seconds Out is an essential Genesis live album, showcasing their classic ...

March 30th 2016

Your comments are very well received, as usual.

TwigTW
March 30th 2016

Nice review, as always--I haven't listened to this in forever. I'm listening now, and it sounds pretty good. The recording doesn't sound dated. I would guess it was recorded more recently than 1977--if I didn't know better.

Digging: Jungstotter - Love Is

March 30th 2016

Good job on the review, mate.

Album is almost perfect. It's a good mixture of ''old'' and ''new'' (Hackett era). It contains enough from A Trick of the Tail, but where are the Wind & Wuthering classics..? It seems that it has to do with the departure of Hackett during the mixing of Seconds Out. Hackett's contribution to W&W was huge, and the band decided to remove all the W&W's songs he was credited for.

The songs rendition on here sometimes surpasses the studio versions. My favorite part has to be Dance on a Volcano/Drum Duet/Los Endos. So impressive and energetic. It's worth the price of admission on its own. One of my all time favorite live albums.

March 30th 2016

"Music was my first love.

John Miles (Rebel)"

what does that mean? is it just some quote?

@ TWIG

It's the same with me. I also haven't listened to this for so long. However, I always had a very special feeling with it. Genesis is perhaps my favorite group ever. I always loved their music, especially their prog phase, which definitely ended with this record. And I always thought this isn't really a dated album.

Thanks, man.

@ Jethro

I think the same as you. This is really a great mix between the old and new of their prog era.

About the absence of more tracks of Wind & Wuthering on the live album, I really don't know if you're right. It's true that the band already knew that Hackett would leave the band in the end of the live tour. However, we mustn't forget that of the nine tracks of Wind & Wuthering, Banks wrote three tracks and co-wrote three tracks, Hackett co-wrote four tracks, Collins co-wrote three tracks and Rutherford wrote one track and co-wrote three tracks. So, the group had sufficient material signed by the other three band members to put more stuff on this live album, besides Afterglow, a track signed by Banks. Anyway, always was a great pity to me that Wind & Wuthering, which definitely one of my favorite workings of them, be less appreciated in general, than their other prog stuff.

About the live version of the songs I also agree with you. Many sound really better than the original versions. I know that Dance on a Volcano/Drum Duet/Los Endos are your favorite parts on the album. They're really great. I know that because after I put my review on Sputnik, finally I read your ProgJet review and I must confess that I loved it. The review is very detailed and very complete. And I must confess that you and Nag have made a terrific work here on Sputnik, especiall in terms of prog.

By the way. What happened to Nag? As I can see it seems that he disappeared from Sputnik, I think.

Thanks, man. Once more you share your opinions in one my review. I really appreciate it.

@ smaugman

When I write, "Music was my first love", it's what really is. I was introduced to the "good music" in the end of 1975 with 16 years old. My school fellows introduced me to several groups and artists in those times. As you can imagine, many of them, would be categorised as prog artists in the future. In 1976, I convinced my parents to buy me a turntable. And, at the same time, I bought my first vinyl record, Selling England By The Pound of Genesis, to be able to listen some thing in it. As i didn't have much money at the time, the Genesis' album was my only record during several months. So, I listen to it almost all days and even several times per day. So, as you can imagine, it has no secrets to me and it was no coincidence that my debut review here oh Sputnik was about that album. And, if you read my review you can see that it was made with very deeply personal feelings, I think. So, Genesis are the main motif why I love prog music.

By the other hand, in 1976, John Miles, a British artist released what would be his debut album called Rebel, which became best known for his hit single, Music, of the same album. The hit was top 3 in the UK hit singles, I think. One of the parts of its lyrics say "music was my first love". I decided to use it as quote that represents my feelings about it. So, here it is the explanation. If you want to listen to the music and album, it's very easy to you to do so. And I really that think the album is very good and the track is really great. Probably you can see almost some prog elements in it.

So, yeah, man. It's a quote.

March 31st 2016

oh okay, nice. I just have one constructive thing to say, and that's the fact that you include the "conclusion:" in your final paragraphs. I suggest you ditch that because it makes the review seem a bit stiff as a whole. other than that, great review as usual

March 31st 2016

@ e21, I also read in a Prog Archives review that it exists a bootleg of that tour containing some classic tracks of W&W such as ''Eleventh Earl of Mar'', ''One For The Vine'' and ''In that Quiet Earth'', and you can also find ''White Mountain'' in there. It's kinda mysterious, the exclusion of all these gems on here.

Thank you to take a look to ProgJect. Nag and me we wrote 31 reviews during 4 years, so it wasn't on a regular basis like you ;), but we had fun in doing so. And we took the precaution to only cover albums that didn't get reviews, so we did spread more widely the prog thing over sputnik.

I think Nag did leave sputnik not long ago, but I don't know if it's for the good. I think he could come back one day, but for now, he is too busy. He's got a new job, a new girl friend, new activities and all. He is really a user I appreciated not only as a ProgJect partner, but for his contribution in general to the site (he wrote not less than 220 reviews). He's a mature, serious guy with a good sense of humour. I've always liked to share good times with him here on sputnik. So yes his absence does create a gap.

We stopped the ProgJect activities before his departure, in a time he started to get too busy to continue.

March 31st 2016

he seemed very serious to me

March 31st 2016

Most of the time yes, you're right. Nag liked to be right, and he was rarely wrong ;) But the man has a solid reputation on here. And he is really passionate and optimistic. He also managed to make me laugh in many occasions.

Realm

Very dank album P/

@ smaugman

Thanks for your contribution and suggestion.

@ Jethro

I didn't know that. Thanks for your information.

So, it's very puzzle to me that the group have excluded those tracks from Seconds Out. It seems that it wasn't only due to the fact of Hackett had left the group. ''Eleventh Earl of Mar'' and ''One For The Vine'' were written by Banks and ''In that Quiet Earth'' is a collective band's effort. And what a pity it was, that a rare jewel like ''White Mountain'', a real rarity performed live, has been excluded from this live set.

About the ProJect reviews, I must confess that I only take a look at some of them. I must confess you one thing. Usually I don't read reviews on Sputnik, of the same albums, before I make mine. Probably this is a silly thing. But I'm really afraid that I can be influenced by them. So, this is the main reason why I only read a few things of ProJect reviews. The problem is that I have plans to make also many of those reviews.

About Nag, it's really a pity. As a relatively newbie here, I saw that his contributions on Sputnik are really amazing. Yeah, maybe he could come back one day. Who knows?

Thanks, dude.

@ Realm

Thanks, man. I'm glad you liked it.

TheIntruder
April 1st 2016

I agree. Another great review of one of the best live of all time. It's very interesting things we can learn from this site. Thanks guys for such detailed information. Both reviews are very good. This type of albums deserve comments like these. Thank you for your great work, guys. Keep up the good work guy.

April 1st 2016

Thanks, Intruder. I'm glad you liked it.

I'm very proud of that you said man. My intention isn't properly teach anything to someone. However, I'm glad that with our comments you could see something positive of it. Anyway, especially in this case, the laurels must be distributed by Jethro too. His comments are always positive and useful to everybody who are interested about the music affairs, mainly the prog genre.

Cheers, man.

April 1st 2016

Oh, there are too much kindness to handle on here ;) Thanks guys. And I can return you the compliment, e21. Your knowledge about music informs me regularly of things that I ignore. It's always a pleasure to share it all, especially when it comes to the wonderful world of prog.

April 2nd 2016

The pleasure is mutual, man.