Anthrax
For All Kings

by Willie STAFF
February 26th, 2016 | 195 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Riffs for days, Joey for Life.

I don’t think John Bush is a bad vocalist, but he just wasn’t Anthrax. I wholeheartedly believe that Anthrax could have done just as well, if not better, if they had kept Joey Belladonna as their vocalist. I believe that sales of Sound of White Noise benefited more from the positive momentum of Persistence of Time than from any vocalist change. In contrast, I think the excitement around Worship Music had everything to do with Joey returning to the band, and very little to do with how good We’ve Come for You All was compared to the other Bush-fronted releases. Having said all that, despite Joey’s return, I don’t think Worship Music was a great return to form. It was a really good metal album, but it lacked the classic Anthrax flair. For All Kings is the great return to form Worship Music should have been.

For All Kings channels Persistence of Time-era riffs, energy levels and performances, while doing away with the dark aggression. Instead of darkness, For All Kings features the catchy streamlined metal of Worship Music while channeling a bit of a modern metal style. The result is an album that can satisfy those fans that are still locked into the 80s, but without sounding dated and with stronger songwriting than ever before. The blend of old and new, along with a few fresh influences, also leads to one of their most diverse albums. There’s the high-energy of ‘You Gotta Believe’ with its straight-up homage to Persistence of Time and everything that made it great. There are tracks such as ‘Breathing Lightening’ that layer melody over chunky riffs, complete with a classy harmonized chorus, and there are songs that blend all these influences to varying degrees. In fact, Joey seems to have free reign with his voice on this album. He can do the more aggressive stuff, but he also does quite a bit of straight-up singing; especially on the choruses.

If the riffs and increased energy levels are what bring the fans to the party, it’s going to be those super-slick choruses that won’t let them leave. There are really only a few songs that don’t contain ultra-infectious choruses, and even most of them are good because they tend to be the heavier tracks. The exceptions are few, but they do exist. The worst offender is the nearly eight-minute ‘Blood Eagle Wings’. The song is simply too lethargic and repetitive to justify its length. The album would have definitely benefited from replacing ‘Blood Eagle Wings’ with another straight-up thrasher in order to finish strong. While not nearly as bad, ‘This Battle Chose Us’ is just so average, from the bland riffing to the total lack of energy, that it almost closes the album at a low point – almost. Actual closer, ‘Zero Tolerance’, is like the modern version of ‘Gung Ho’. It’s just a balls-out thrasher that sends the album out in style.

In all honesty, For All Kings is great, but it is definitely front-loaded. It could have used a few more thrashers down the line to really push it to the next level, but it is still the best thing they’ve done since Persistence of Time. During For All Kings’ runtime, there are classic, nostalgia-laced moments mixed with an embrace of modern metal, wrapped in some of the band’s strongest songwriting. It’s an album that can riff its way into your head, but it’s going to stay there because of the excellent choruses.

At The Gates To Drink from the Night ItselfDimmu Borgir Eonian
Samael HegemonyCradle of Filth Cryptoriana – The Seductiveness of Decay
Neurosis The Word As Law (Remastered)Metallica Hardwired... to Self-Destruct
Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Still Metal Thrashing Mad...

brettgoespunk (4.5)
Incredible release from a legendary band....

PsychicChris (4)
For All Kings would leave more of an impact if it had come out a couple years ago, but it still mana...

Insurrection
February 25th 2016

nice, didnt even know this was happening. will check

TheSpirit
February 25th 2016

Damn Willie. I've been hearing such negative things about this and now I'm all conflicted. Great review, you've convinced to check this out.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph. I really like John Bush, but it wasn't Anthrax.

Digging: Cradle of Filth - Midian

tempest--

20626 Comments

XingKing
February 26th 2016

To trust the review and jam this album or trust the average and skip it.. Hmm.

south_of_heaven 11

Ehhhhh

Metalrain
February 26th 2016

Most of the songs here are great, there are just a few fillers here that bog it down.

February 26th 2016

Album is a big disappointment.

Digging: Power Trip - Manifest Decimation

Madbutcher3
February 26th 2016

not really a thrash album but it's pretty catchy hard rock. never found a more 3 album before

TheNotrap
February 26th 2016

"the best thing they’ve done since Persistence of Time"

Sounds promising.

Digging: Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

linguist2011

Just spotted this:

that is almost closes the album

As for the album, I haven't been eagerly anticipating it as much as the new Vektor if I'm honest. There's not a lot of thrash bands out there that I'm overly impress with tbh, aside from Overkill and Testament if we're talking big leagues. I liked Worship Music, but like Trey said in this review it didn't feel like a good return-to-form.

Digging: Cult Leader - A Patient Man

February 26th 2016

Woship Music destroys this.

Tunaboy45
February 26th 2016

I'll check this out because it's Anthrax, great review too.

Flugmorph

19932 Comments

hype!

Tunaboy45
February 26th 2016

Yeah I don't understand why people are rating this lower than Worship Music, they're about on par with each other in terms of quality and general Anthrax-ness.

Willie
February 26th 2016

--Damn Willie. I've been hearing such negative things about this and now I'm all conflicted.--

I haven't seen anything negative except here at Sputnik with the initial few ratings (which were probably made based off one or two of the pre-release singles).

--I wasn't a massive fan of Worship Music either. It's a good album, but that's about it. Hopefully I enjoy this one better, will be giving it a spin soon.--

This doesn't really have anything in common with their 'classics' but I hear a lot of Persistence of Time in this, and that is my favorite Anthrax release.

--Album is a big disappointment.--

Why? Just based off your name I wasn't surprised to read this, but then you said Worship Music is better and now I'm intrigued.

--As for the album, I haven't been eagerly anticipating it as much as the new Vektor if I'm honest.--

There are a few that I'm anticipating, but this wasn't one of them. It's a nice surprise, though.

--why is there any backlash at all for this just sounds like an Anthrax album--

It's Sputnik. You never know what is going to motivate them, ha ha.

JesseMechanix

Great review!

I also get a some "classic-thrax" vibes from the album. Sounds promising so far.

February 26th 2016

I just don't like the majority of the groove influenced riffs that they use in this album. Sure,they used them in Worship Music too but not as much as they do here... Worship Music has more diverse riffing and that's why i enjoy it more.

theacademy

i loved worship musiccccc

BigHans
February 26th 2016

Didn't even know this was coming, must jam immediately

Flugmorph

19932 Comments

at least its better than the megadeth one