Orgy

good

by Simon STAFF
February 23rd, 2016 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Orgy are a flower that never fully bloomed.

We've all come across one at some point: a band that shows a certain amount of promise; a unique characteristic buried in a sound that isn't fully developed or realised yet. Some bands manage to tap into what will make them a success in the future, others just never seem to get past making the same mistakes. Orgy is one such band. Formed in 1994, and subsequently signed by Korn's Jonathan Davis, they went on to write their 1998 debut Candyass and follow-up Vapor Transmission; both showing a fair amount of potential, but neither album ever quite managed to knock it out of the park. Any promise the band once had dissipated when they released the awful Punk Statik Paranoia. The band dissolved soon after, until 2010 when they had a reunion tour. They've released material since, but have never reached the same level of promise that they once had.

Orgy's debut is a collection of industrial rock and metal, but as Candyass came out in the late 90s, during NU-metal's commercial peak, the genre had a lasting impression on the band's songwriting for the album. Candyass's biggest praise comes from its consistently dark, ominous atmosphere, that was created by effects and fuzzed out guitars, as well as a synthesiser heavy sound that build around the core foundations; the band's overall aesthetics have a distinct odour of Cyberpunk, making it feel very robotic. The instrumentation walks the line of being chaotic and occasionally self-aware; imagine Linkin Park on acid. "Stitches", "Pantomime" and "Platinum" are three songs that bring all the right ideas to the table, the atmosphere is there, the melodies are nice and the songwriting is tight. One of the band's biggest songs, the cover to New Order's "Blue Monday", is still as fun to listen to as it was then, and is the easiest track to get into; while the bulk of "Gender" and "All The Same" have that grooving industrial hallmark. "Revival" is one of the best tracks on here and has the cheeky inclusion of Jonathan Davis providing guest vocals for the chorus, and brings a much needed surge of life to the LP near the end.

Candyass is far from perfect though, and the album does have some low points that range from off-the-rails unpleasant, boring, to just plain awkward. The LP's opener "Social Enemies" starts off well, but its awkward transitions and lacklustre riffs leave you disconnected from the song long before the halfway mark. This is partially down to Jay Gordon's vocals; they can just about hold their weight for the duration of the LP, but the lack of interesting melodies and repetitious lyrics mean the bulk of the album becomes banal, leaving you to zone out from time-to-time. Orgy also struggle at finding decent transitions to songs: the likes of "Fetisha" and "Fiend" shift into different parts of songs that end up making the tracks in question deflate and lose energy that was created from their opening riffs. It's a solid listen overall; Vapor Transmission marginally crafts better songs compared to this, but even though it has a lot of low points, it has more good things going for it that justify giving it a listen if you're a fan of this type of music.

Good.

Edition: M̶P̶3̶, CD

Packaging: Standard Jewel Case

Special Edition: N/A

Harry Gregson-Williams Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty OSTNONE Damp Chill of Life
Nightrage Wolf To ManJoanne Shaw Taylor Reckless Heart
Saver They Came with SunlightHEALTH GTA: Online Arena War
tribestros (3)
A unique album for a unique band with plenty of great songs like Stitches and Blue Monday, but most ...

February 23rd 2016

As always, constructive criticism welcome.

Hopelust
February 23rd 2016

Ahaha. Totally forgot about these guys. I vaguely remember their follow-up to this being somewhat enjoyable, surprisingly. That is, if my memory serves me right.

Linkin Park on acid is an interesting comparison. I can get on board with that.

February 23rd 2016

Yeah, the follow-up is a little better than this. They've both held up pretty well with time.

JohnnyBiggs
February 23rd 2016

Loved this album in high school. Looking back, some of it holds up decently well (better than most nu metal albums of that time, though I wouldn't really call this nu metal) and it definitely rocks (Dissention, Platinum, Gender... solid!). You're bang on about the atmosphere and production. As far as debuts go it's pretty good. Vapor Transmission, the follow-up, was a big improvement and is still a terrific record with some very prophetic themes regarding technology. Punk Statik, well, it's no big secret it killed whatever momentum Orgy had left (still love the Obvious off that one). Good review, keep it up.

Killerhit
February 23rd 2016

Yo this album was great way back in the day

ConcubinaryCode
February 23rd 2016

Dank album and review. Props for even remembering this existed.

Digging: Former Thieves - The Language That We Speak

Killerhit
February 23rd 2016

I'd call this like radio-friendly industrial rock

February 24th 2016

Exactly, Linkin Park on acid. ha

@ConcubinaryCode

Yeah I was digging through a load of old CD's I had and there was my two Orgy CD's. Like I say, I'm surprised at how well they've held up. Better than their image anyway...

February 25th 2016

Yeah these dudes had so much potential. Every album they released always had a handful of killer tracks but nothing more imo

Man, Stitches is so good

Digging: The Chemical Brothers - No Geography

Anthracks
February 25th 2016

oh man

Digging: PUP - Morbid Stuff

y87arrow
March 13th 2018

I wouldn't call it industrial rock. Sounds more like synth rock. There are differences, but I am not good explaining them.

Digging: Eyeless In Gaza - Rust Red September