After the Burial

good

by Trebor. STAFF
February 23rd, 2016 | 90 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: To be honest, I'm more interested in what went down before the burial

It’s easier and easier nowadays to become cynical with the state of modern metalcore music. As a whole, it’s a genre populated by very talented musicians placing themselves in increasingly smaller creative boxes as the music becomes more specialized. It seems like almost every deathcore/metalcore band has hopped on the djent bandwagon, a sound that naturally lends itself to homogeneity. When every band has the exact same guitar tone, it’s hard to criticize anyone that thinks all these artists sound the same. But it’s also become increasingly cliche to review a core album by simply discussing the state of the genre as a whole, and ignoring whatever merits are contained within any given album. To avoid writing a review that is just as samey as the style of music I’m writing about, I decided to view this album for what it is, outside of the confines of its associated genre. Going in with an open mind I pleasantly discovered that Dig Deep is a fine record.

After The Burial’s newest record is enjoyable on a pretty basic level. It’s catchy, groovy, technical, and it doesn’t waste your time. Crafting a record that is nine tracks and clocks in under 40 minutes is quite wise as After The Burial’s fidgety brand of groovy metalcore lends itself to the kind of brevity typically enjoyed by core fans with short attention spans. Chugging, atonal and technical guitar riffs, breakdowns, and the occasional melodic moment comprise the sound of every song, but on a track by track basis these elements are strung together in a slightly different order that could liberally be described as variety. Despite a largely consistent tone, Dig Deep has its moments. The strong breakdowns that end “Sway of the Break” and “Collapse” come to mind, as does the melodic riffage of “Deluge,” and the melancholy acoustic guitar intro of “Laurentian Ghosts.” Dig Deep is a strong record taken individually, but if taken in contextually it's merely a collection of metalcore bits and pieces you’ve probably heard before, albeit strung together well enough.

The biggest flaw with Dig Deep is the djent guitar tone, which I find fundamentally unpleasant to listen to. I’ll admit this is a very personal bias that negatively affects the quality of the music for me, but most fans of this type of metalcore likely won’t feel the same way. The fact that I enjoyed this record despite my almost insurmountable disdain for the most distinguishable aspect of After The Burial’s sound is a testament to the strength of the songwriting presented on this record. After extensive open-minded analysis, I must conclude that Dig Deep is a good album regardless of genre, but despite my claim of genre-less critique, I feel obliged to say that Dig Deep is also one of the finest metalcore albums of the last few years.

Bring Me The Horizon AmoAlkaline Trio Is This Thing Cursed?
Mark Kozelek Mark KozelekDr. Octagon Moosebumps
Blessthefall Hard FeelingsMoose Blood I Don't Think I Can Do This Anymore
Nocturnalize (4)
Back and as strong as ever....

Ire (4.5)

February 22nd 2016

First review in many months so I might be a bit rusty

Anyway, wow this record proved me wrong

beefshoes

Welcome back.
These guys have always been a guilty pleasure of mine, so I'll definitely check this one out soon.

rc239
February 22nd 2016

catacombs is quite the jam

February 22nd 2016

Thanks for the heads up Arcade

I wanted to imply that the consistency can be viewed as a negative

ScuroFantasma

Great review, I generally dislike Metalcore but this seems interesting

Digging: Windswept - The Onlooker

tempest--

20630 Comments

I wouldn't have thought you'd even listen to this, let alone review it. Nice write up though, hope you can review more often, I've always dug your stuff :-]

ahh thanks bud

I initially listened to it so I could talk shit about it lol

JohnnyOnTheSpot
February 22nd 2016

i often like the light, conversational tone in your reviews. sometimes it hinders the review, but in this case it worked really well I think. you could condense a bit of redundancy here and there maybe, but it's w/e. nicely done ԾᴗԾ

TalonsOfFire
February 23rd 2016

What Johnny said. I'm certainly glad to see this band triumphantly bounce back with new material after all the horrors they went through last year..

Digging: Opeth - Garden of the Titans

dixoncocks
February 23rd 2016

Surprisingly awesome album despite their lead guitarist's death last year :/

MO
February 23rd 2016

nice review dude. a buddy of mine pushed this on me and while I don't generally dig metalcore this was ok

nice return man

I see this review's got the trademark treb pun

Digging: Julia Jacklin - Crushing

Tunaboy45
February 23rd 2016

Loving that summary, had a feeling this would be average.

Hopelust
February 23rd 2016

I thought the summary had something to do with mental state of their guitarist before his untimely passing.

Danred97

1980 Comments

Nice, been missing the Treb reviews.

Anyway, from what I've been hearing, I'm gonna pass on this album. It just seems very meh.

N2B3J
February 23rd 2016

Fantastic review. I like how objective you are.

theacademy

jtswope

Mind pos'd

PortalofPerfection

1991 Comments

Sweet review. Summary is win.