Magrudergrind

by Scuro F. STAFF
February 16th, 2016 | 64 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: *harmonic squeal*

Much like any other creative process, musical output benefits from a shake up of the formula every now and then. Uness something comes along and disrupts the standard approach, we mightn't discover a superior alternative. Sure, grindcore isn’t exactly a genre that's known for its diversity or experimentation, and there's certainly no shortage of homogenised grinders eager to reinforce the banality; what’s required is a catalyst like the Washington D.C. trio Magrudergrind, a band who are willing to challenge long-forged perceptions with fresh ones. After a staggering 6 years since the Crusher EP, the band have stepped up and returned with their latest album II.

What's particularly striking, given just how effectively the band wholly envelop your attention, is that they're not incorporating anything radically different from what you'd expect of grindcore-meets-powerviolence progeny. Pummelling drumming, overdriven riffage, hoarse screams and a fuck you attitude - all of it oozes from every crevice and the whole package is wrapped neatly in a blanket of high tempo chaos with the usual grindcore brevity. Subtlety is the reason II in particular stands out, down to the organic way the band introduce frenzied diversity into their sound. The rhythmic changes throughout are a prime example of this. With beat divisions and feels adjusting regularly, the album pulses and throbs, dragging your attention back each time. This asset comes as a surprise given that the rhythm section is lacking a bass player entirely; in itself an odd exclusion. Nevertheless, II’s low-end feels thick and chunky, filled to the brim with blast beats and the occasional low grows, while trebly guitar riffs soar over head.

Never allowing their sound to grow stale, Magrudergrind intercut their intense, speedy approach with moments of lethargy. Sections featuring slower, palm-muted heaviness are standard fare for the powerviolence genre in some respects, however the addictive, lurching quality of ‘Unit 731’’s opening is an atypical addition that fits snugly amidst an otherwise aggressive maelstrom. For all the band's originality, tracks such as ‘Relentless Hate’ and 'Husayni/Handschar', making use of low growls and a heavier approach, recall grindcore forefathers Napalm Death. Additionally, the cliché, ear-piercing harmonics of powerviolence are sprinkled here and there, often used as a transitioning tool between tracks. Neither of these inclusions are necessarily problematic, but instead they ground the band firmly within their tandem genres. In the end, Magrudergrind’s II simply demonstrates the result of 3 capable musicians coming together to write thoughtful material that makes an effort to be engaging, proving that no matter the genre, quality bleeds through.

Natsukashii Driving EastDisturbed Evolution
Korpiklaani KulkijaJonathan Davis Black Labyrinth
Majesty of Silence Zu Dunkel Für Das LichtDream Troll The Witch's Curse

Magrudergrind
recommended by reviewer
Napalm Death Utilitarian

February 16th 2016

Yay 60, review feedback is welcome and appreciated. The album is available on bandcamp here:

And also for streaming on Soundcloud here:

Digging: Russkaja - No One Is Illegal

manosg
February 16th 2016

Enjoyed the review Scuro even though grind isn't my thing.

Just a couple of things:

"a band who are willing"
is

"wholly envelop you're attention"
your

"For all the bands originality"
band's

"tracks such as ‘Relentless Hate’,"
Maybe nitpicking, but don't you need to refer to one more track at least to justify the tracks such as?

Digging: Flame, Dear Flame - The Millenial Heartbeat

February 16th 2016

Cheers Manosg, I appreciate that and I'll fix those now . Especially the ownership apostrophe, I'm always leaving them out.

I'd dispute the first point about bands though, I tend to think of them as groups the same way as I would say 'team', I guess it's just preference though.

manosg
February 16th 2016

Not a native speaker here so I'm not 100% sure about the band thing. For example, "Deep Purple is a legendary band" but "Deep Purple are about to release their new album on...". Not sure if it's a matter of preference or if there's a right or wrong use here.

February 16th 2016

Yeah good point, seems to me like 'is' fits when the band are indirectly acted on by the verb (is) vs when they're the ones acting. So I reckon 'are' is appropriate in my case above^. I suppose it depends whether you use 'band' as a collective noun or not too, depending on the context.

emester
February 16th 2016

Fuck this was nowhere near as good as I hoped

Digging: Big Thief - U.F.O.F.

zaruyache

20899 Comments

this was nowhere near as good as I hoped [2]

not brutal enough to be Rotten Sound / not fun enough to be Magrudergrind. Doing away with all those samples scrubbed away a bit of their uniqueness and personality, too.

icatchthirtythree
February 16th 2016

thought this was pretty dope

TheSpirit
February 16th 2016

Awesome review Scuro. I haven't listened to these guys before but you make this sound real appealing. I can't see myself not liking this.

Digging: Neckbeard Deathcamp - SO MUCH FOR THE TOLERANT LEFT

February 16th 2016

Start with the first. It's a tasty little slice of grind.

February 16th 2016

Did Kurt Ballou produce this?

oltnabrick

yeah he did

Digging: Sun Ra - Jazz in Silhouette

February 16th 2016

To answer my own question: yes it was. Probably why it sounds like a Trap Them record.

February 16th 2016

thanks Spirit, hope you dig it.

Raz0rGrind23
February 17th 2016

Great review! I am pretty excited for this one tbh. Love the self titled release and still jam that bad boy. Do you prefer this one over the S/T? Going to listen to this now

user

perfect summary

pos

February 17th 2016

Thanks guys, @Razor for me they're close but the s/t has a bit more 'personality' to it which I like, so I'd put it over this

calgarydude12
February 17th 2016

Very nice review. Been jamming this the last week.

pos