Megadeth
Rust in Peace

by AngryLittleAlchemist USER (16 Reviews)
February 9th, 2016 | 19 replies

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Dave Mustaine is about to make you his b****!!!!

Mad Max : Fury Road was one of the best action movies of the decade. George Miller's expertise behind the camera not only allowed for the return of one of the most iconic 80's action series of all time, but also provided a host of brilliance behind the film making, creating an experience who's thrilling battles and macabre death races was made into a more compelling package, and taking it to a whole other level. Even during the dips in activity, energy didn't die down. Instead, these quieter moments were used to add tension, building up to an ever present climax. In this way, the new action movie to destroy all other actions movies, and Megadeth's 1990 magnum opus Rust In Peace are very much alike. Carrying the same attributes, Rust In Peace is a artistic endeavor that capitalizes on Dave Mustaine's compositional knowledge exceedingly well to the point of sheer awe. Fast, furious, and filled with clamorous solo work and extreme riffage, not much can stand in the way of these Los Angeles rockers raging speed and technicality.

A testament to consistency, a lot of the tracks here not only stands out as some of Megadeth's best, but some of the finest thrash metal delivered in the history of the sub-genre. The grand opening number Holy Wars sets up a sensational epic, with galloping guitars and trotting drums accompanied by the frequent guest appearance of piercing solo savagery. Though 6 minutes and a half minutes in length, the song seems to end in an instance, whizzing past the listener in an act of true showmanship. An anthem in it's own sense, Hangar 18 begins with a melodic chorus of guitars only to unravel as careless yet efficient solos working off each other like a flurry of bullets frantically bouncing off impenetrable metallic walls of steel. Take No Prisoners, though ridicolous in tone, is the most short and sweet track here, and is one of the catchiest for sure. While each song feeds off the momentum of the other, carrying with it the torch of almighty power like the bearer of flame during the last Olympic torch relay, there is actually a decent amount of variety glazed throughout this record. Five Magics contains the same heavy metal awesomeness of previous tracks, but focus's on a more built-up climax, making the final result more satisfying and deserving of such a conclusion. Poison Was The Cure will remind any metalhead silly enough to forget of the huge influence punk had on thrash metal's famous founders, with chaotic, insanity driven music that simply stops for no one. Lucretia stands out, with its retelling of the rambunctious antics of a young Dave Mustaine backed by incredibly entertaining instrumentals. And how can anyone forget about Tornado of Souls" Deserving of its name, it successfully brings forth a twister of surging energy, which pulsates throughout like the blood red veins of Marty Friedman as he melts your face of with his solo work. The track even pays an homage to older metal bands, with riffs that could easily be mistaken to belong to Tony Iommi himself.

Though not every song is as compelling as some of the aforementioned masterworks, Rust In Peace's "low points" shouldn't even be considered as such. If you were on a road trip, this would be one of the best albums to bring along. Standing at 40 minutes in length, Megadeth's fourth album doesn't march needlessly onward to and off the cliffs of irrelevance and monotony, but stays just long enough to cram the point into your skull. Overall,
Rust in Peace is a hard act to beat. While some might be disappointed that the band has yet to exceed this masterpiece, this monumental record is not a bad one to consider a band's magnum opus either. Highly recommended.

Best tracks :

Radiohead In RainbowsMoon Tooth Chromaparagon
4.6

tempest--

20632 Comments

Die Hard is the best action movie js

FirstStrikeIsDeadly
February 8th 2016

Well I would hope there's a video game better than Daikatana one could compare Rust in Peace to

LaughingSkull
February 8th 2016

Review needs some work. You have quite a few spelling errors (even misspelling Hangar as Hanger), including the one from you previous reviews where you keep writing "its" as "it's".

Also, you overuse complicated and rare words. I like that style, but it can get a bit pretentious at times. Try keeping it just a tad simpler! :]

I really liked that part about the Olympic torch being carried over by each song to the next, though, it was pretty good!

Also, when you have nearly the entire album in the "recommended" section, it's better to just don't use it, as it is already obvious from your 5.0 rating that you think that every song is great.

Otherwise good job. Which part of Tornado reminds you of Iommi? It sounds like a stretch to me, tbh.

ScuroFantasma
February 9th 2016

Overall good review man, you're very good wih your descriptions and thats certainly a strength. I see what you were going for with the Mad Max comparison however it feels kinda contrived, especially since they were made so far apart chronologically. Otherwise, I like it and you're on track to becoming a really good reviewer.

Digging: Boris S.G - Vega Neon Light

February 9th 2016

fuck you're coughing up reviews faster than lightning

Asdfp277

20765 Comments

one review per day pls, the people get angry when u bump their reviews out of the front page

(i know it's been more than a day, just lettin u kno)

February 9th 2016

the recent reviews list doesn't exactly seem crowded at any time tho

LaughingSkull
February 9th 2016

The original is from 1979, and honestly, I really liked that comparison. Thematically, RIP and MM are related.

February 9th 2016

Their only album I've listened to beside Dystopia. Looks like I should be paying more attention to this band in the future.

1985-1994 my man

Digging: State Faults - Clairvoyant

5.5

I would if I could

February 9th 2016

Got a unmixed copy of that album too, which was also my first Deth album.

My Last Words is so damn fun.

JigglyPDiddy

Dystopia is better....

February 10th 2016

Well, what I obviously mean is that there are tons of uploads with full Megadeth albums on Youtube.