Virgin Steele
Invictus

by AngryLittleAlchemist USER (16 Reviews)
February 6th, 2016 | 12 replies

Release Date: 1998 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An amazing finale to an epic trilogy

Hailing from New York, heavy metal band Virgin Steele has left quite an overlooked legacy in their trail. Not only have they create a slew of consistent efforts, but they've successfully varied their sound enough release after release. From the more traditional savagery of "The Last Supper", to the harmonious theatrical melody of "A Symphony of Steel", a considerable amount of variety has been placed in their 90's catalog. Though Virgin Steele hasn't reinvented the wheel with their 8th studio outing, Invictus works splendidly as a final act in the conceptual trilogy of religious exploration, while also shining a light and tapping into more varied emotional values.

Most of the material on the album could be seen as more dramatic in style, with particular attention on tragic romanticism. "Through Blood and Fire" has a sympathetic tone in its chorus, with a very humanitarian theme. While the sinister self titled track elicits dramatization through hysterical playing, like violin strings adding tension at the turning point in an epic opera. Solos are also more apparent throughout, adding a certain multi-layering to the record that had not been featured on past releases. "Dust From The Burning" speaks of the after math of all out war with hellish venomous vocals and sorrowful events. "A Whisper of Death" is almost relateable to grunge, with dreamy serine guitars being fronted by grimy foreboding notes. Though the album can feel more raw with such tracks, the use of artificial orchestral pieces returns. While it might not be as prevalent, the choice to stray away from the overuse of such instrumentation has ironically all the more put the spotlight on them when they appear, like the grand entrance of the main course being introduced to an audience of hungry listeners. This allows them to be more potent than ever before, and punctuates a songs climax better as a result. It's also worth mentioning that in this point in their career, the New York rockers had come accustomed to such effects. As such, some of their most interesting artificial musical compositions are glazed throughout Invictus. The mixture of all these ideas seems more balanced than that of its counterparts, which bodes well considering that Part I and Part II both suffered from to much consistency or bad deviations for variety's sake.

All of this leads up to a great album. The only real problem would be that by the end, it feels like the album drags on a bit. Don't misunderstand - this isn't nearly as bad as its two predecessors, which while great, had problems both in the middle of the album, and problems with their lengths. Invictus on the other hand only has the issue of dragging a bit by the end. Ultimately, this is the best Virgin Steele record I've heard thus far. Highly recommended!

Recommended Tracks :

Radiohead In RainbowsMegadeth Rust in Peace
4.3

Killerhit
February 6th 2016

"An amazing final to an interesting trio"

This review cured my erectile dysfunction

vonseux
February 6th 2016

While I think this is the "best" VS album; I look at House of Atreus as a bigger achievement on what this band tries to be.

vonseux

February 6th 2016

Wow Sputnik is finally working.

yeah wtf was up with that shit lmao. it was taking ages to load. thank god its fixed up. good review btw.

February 6th 2016

i was having slight problems with the loading last night, and i thought it was my shit internet. but it continued happening when i was using it on my phone outside of my computer, so i knew there were issues. it was pissing me off so thank god its back to normal now.

definitely.

ScuroFantasma
February 6th 2016

"i was having slight problems with the loading last night, and i thought it was my shit internet"

Glad it want just me, but every other page was loading fine except Sput.

Great review ALA, I'll add this to the list of stuff I need to hear (:

Couple little nitpicks:

"An amazing final to an interesting trio" - I think 'finale' is more appropriate, and I know what you mean by trio but I think trilogy works better.

"left quite a overlooked" - *an

"titled track implores dramatization through" - I don't think implores is the word you were looking for there, maybe 'illicits'?

Anyway great write-up just some stuff to consider

Digging: Boris S.G - Vega Neon Light

ScuroFantasma
February 6th 2016

"should be elicits not illicits"

Oops my bad, dramatisation is legal. And sweet man, Tanpopo's a very quick listen so let me know how you feel about it if you decide to spin it.

Scoob
July 17th 2017

Vital Remains stole the melody from Veni, vidi, vici

necropig
July 19th 2018

It's a sin that not one of the 5 beastly albums they released has over a hundred rates

Digging: Asphodelus - Stygian Dreams

February 10th 2019

Heard this for the first time in a while, still rules

Digging: UNKLE - Psyence Fiction