Motorhead
Bastards

by forkliftjones USER (3 Reviews)
February 3rd, 2016 | 24 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What are you waiting for?

In 1992, the rock n’ roll quartet Motorhead released their inconsistent and weak 10th album March or Die. Where were Lemmy Kilmister and his boogeymen to go from here" Would they go on to record another insipid, uninspired collection of songs" Hell no. Instead, Motorhead worked their (bad) magic and unleashed one of the premier albums of their 40 year career in Bastards.

Released in late 1993, Bastards served up 12 original tunes totaling nearly 48 minutes of greasy, heavy, undiluted, and hardcore rock n’ roll. Understandably, people who listen to Motorhead will label them under the vast category of “heavy metal” or “speed metal.” But Lemmy has always termed his band “rock n’ roll” and for good reason. The sound of blues and punk are mixed deliciously into their music. Motorhead happens to be rock n’ roll that is replete with a nasty attitude, ear damming loudness, and truckloads of testosterone. No objections can be raised about the production. Lemmy's warts and bass are the ace. The guitars of Phil Campbell and Michael “Wurzel” Burston are energizing and pummeling. Leaving his stamp on it, Mikkey Dee hammers, rips, and wallops the drums throughout this album.

Two fabulous examples of Mikkey smashing the drums and the rest of the band stomping the gas pedal are the opening rocker “On Your Feet or On Your Knees” and the intense, 150 mph “Burner.” “Don’t Let Daddy Kiss Me” is the peculiar song of this album and Lemmy takes a short pause from raising hell to create a solemn lament for the horrors of child abuse. Ballad form with some acoustic guitar is the route here. It is a creepy tune and will polarize listeners, but the difference in vibe from the rest of the songs brings something new to the table. “Lost in the Ozone” also has a kind of ballad atmosphere to it but not as drastic as the former song. Another somewhat dissimilar yet grand song is “Devils.” It is 6 minutes in length whereas the rest are between 2 and 5. “Bad Woman” nearly has a “Johnny B. Goode” energy to it and one can slightly hear a jumping piano in the background. “I’m Your Man” and “We Bring the Shake” have a mid-paced beat to them and angry temper is spewed out in “Liar.”

The unmistakable wow factors are “Death or Glory,” with its war lyrics “blood and iron it’s the same old story,” “I Am the Sword,” and chiefly “Born to Raise Hell.” The latter headbanging tune is over the top with “Ace of Spades” and “Overkill” as the band’s anthem. No songs here bulge out as particularly defective. The reissue of Bastards includes a bonus cover song of “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” by the Rolling Stones and it is not to be missed.

Bastards is Motorhead’s supreme record of the ‘90’s and near the top of the ladder as one of the foremost recordings of their wild career. Here, Motorhead lived up to the claim that they would kick your arse. Phil had this to say about the band’s 11th album in the documentary The Guts and the Glory - The Motorhead Story: “We spent a lot of time on Bastards. I’m so proud of that album. Nothing wrong with that album at all. Some great songs.” Amen.

Atari STAFF (4.5)
An album to remember Lemmy by...

PsychicChris (4.5)
Play that guitar just like ringing a bell!...

south_of_heaven 11 (4)

metalismymusic (5)
Motorhead's Beat Album To Date...

February 3rd 2016

Thanks for the tips and pos! I had a spark of inspiration and wrote this in about a day. Obviously the best Motorhead to start with is Overkill, Ace of Spades, and the live album No Sleep 'til Hammersmith. This and Inferno are probably next.

February 3rd 2016

My 1st review was written almost 2 years ago haha.

February 3rd 2016

Best 90s Motorhead, probs in my top 5.

I read the review last night and mostly noticed the same things as Alchemist. Nicely done, otherwise

danielcardoso
February 3rd 2016

Nice review pos'd from me. Out of curiosity, is your username a Pavement reference? :]

wham49
February 3rd 2016

Side one of this is prob. the second best side of a motorhead album, behind side 1 of overkill, and just before side 1 of APD

February 3rd 2016

No it ain't never heard of Pavement. Jones seems like a name for a forklift driver though.

Burner belongs in the "most intense" category of Motorhead songs.

Hell yes, bumped to a 3.9

February 5th 2016

Been jamming this recently and loving it m/

nice review man

cool to see this album getting more love

Digging: Julia Jacklin - Crushing

Thanks!

The 90's is probably the weakest decade for Motorhead. This and 1916 stand out though.

February 6th 2016

March or Die also rules m/

February 7th 2016

Motorhead's version of Hellraiser is 1000x greater than Ozzy's.

February 7th 2016

Idk about that, Ozzy's version is great

February 8th 2016

For me, it didn't have the ugly raw bite of Lemmy & company's version...but to each his own

February 8th 2016

I do agree that the Motorhead version is better though :P

Its got Lemmy so, boom

February 8th 2016

March or Die is à weird album tbh

February 8th 2016

Lemmy did once say he made more money writing a few lyrics for Ozzy than he had in his entire Motorhead career to that point

I believe him.

Ozzy certainly made a lot more money than Lemmy in a lifetime.

February 12th 2016

The outro on Devils is fantastic