Lost Salt Blood Purges
Only the Youngest Grave

by Arche USER (86 Reviews)
January 12th, 2016 | 247 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A cold, engulfing monolith.

Last year's The Voids We All Long For was an interesting beast. Although the combination of ambient, folk, black metal and noise may not have been the most obvious of bedfellows, it yielded a fantastic selection of ideas which worked surprisingly well when used in conjunction with each other. While there are inevitably some similarities between Lost Salt Blood Purges' most recent offering and Voids..., this is undoubtedly its own creature - sparser, less vocally driven, yet more cohesive in the way each track interacts with each other, and arguably more effective on the whole for it.

Only The Youngest Graves is long - about as long as a decent length film, breaching the 100 minute mark - and it does, admittedly, feel that way in parts. This isn't to say it's crushed under the weight of ambition, as many that find themselves extending over long periods of time fall into, but instead simply that it takes a committed listen that allows the listener to become utterly absorbed by everything. Arguably, Only... is an album of two halves - the half prior to and including Lanthanesthai, and the half onwards from there. Whereas the first half is the more aggressive of the two, as consequence of harsher noise usage, it is also the more instantly engaging; there are more recognisable melodies and ostinati, a product of vaguely Native American sounding instrumentation combined with beautiful acoustic guitar work. The latter half, however, is the scarier. While all bar two of the last six tracks are upwards of 10 minutes, there's very little to actively latch on to while listening. 'Final Chant: Stygian Cessation' is an atmospheric, highly foreboding piece constructed largely of ambient crests and falls, and 'Dense Swells...' consists of largely the same, albeit with a strange, mechanical sound punctuating through at certain intervals. 'Lanthanesthai' and 'Noose in the Glow' are more abrasive, particularly the former, yet no less effective at creating an unsettling yet somehow fascinating soundscape. There are one or two length issues however, notably with 'Dense Swells...' and 'The Spirit Meets the Skin'; while both have interesting elements, both also outstay their welcome after a certain amount of time, becoming stale in their repetitive nature.

However, despite the split between the two halves there is one overriding characteristic that Only the Younger Graves has, and that's the cold feeling that shrouds the vast majority of the running time (with one notable exception, which will be touched upon shortly). The sparse instrumentation is coupled with the monolithic running time to yield an experience that feels, without divulging in too much of personal interpretation, outwardly pretty yet lonely and somewhat vulnerable. The album's climax, however, provides a pleasant contrast to this otherwise bleak portrait painted with 'Blood Communication to the Port Saint', finishing on what feels like a thaw with warm crackles and pleasant, moving piano. As a finale it rounds off perfectly, providing not only the listener an aid to segue back into the real world, but also a direction that Voids felt like it lacked slightly.

What Lost Salt Blood Purges have done here is improved upon their debut in terms of album progression, while ensuring that the obvious ability at trackwriting is preserved. The sheer size of it may prove a stumbling block for some, but if the listener is willing to give it the time and attention it deserves, they will be rewarded with an engulfing ambient record that's perfect for those quiet, dark nights.

Asthma Castle Mount CrushmoreSnail's House Snö
The Body O God who avenges, shine forth. Rise up, Judge ofJohn Prine John Prine
Morrissey Low In High SchoolIDYLLS The Barn

January 12th 2016

Really great album, will probably remain high in my estimations for a good while. Any comments, corrections and the ilk as always welcomed :] - https://lostsaltbloodpurges.bandcamp.com/

Flugmorph

20869 Comments

wow

Digging: La Dispute - Panorama

Gameofmetal
January 12th 2016

very good review, thought this was a lot less engaging than voids and the length hurts it a bit but i still need to jam it again, give it a chance to grow on me

JS19

The length is silly, this would be an easy 4.5 if it was half the length

Digging: Neurosis - Official Bootleg - Live in Stockholm

January 12th 2016

Thanks Gameofmetal :] The length is definitely the biggest issue with this, just from a practical perspective.

Tempertemperature
January 12th 2016

Voids was cool as hell, definitely gonna check this out later tonight when I settle into bed

Really nice review by the way

January 12th 2016

for me the length isnt a detriment to the music as some of the best pay offs come with the shift from the first disc to the second disc.

this is ultimately an incredibly rewarding listen and the flow and development of it would suffer if it were half the length imo

January 12th 2016

and if the stuff ive been hearing of new material is anything to go by, expect lots of variety and truly amazing music from LSBP in the future

Yeah? Awesome, I'll be looking forward to that :]
Thanks tempertemperature!

bnelso55
January 12th 2016

Solid review. Pos'd. I'll check this out now.

January 12th 2016

Also forgot to mention this is a really nice review and i enjoyed it.

Final Origin
January 12th 2016

Great review, the album is a fascinating piece of work.

TheSpirit
January 12th 2016

Damn Aaron, didn't realize you changed your name. You said you were writing this earlier and i was like "DAMN, SOMEONE STOLE HIS THUNDER!" But it's you, so that's good.

This is a really great review. I find ... less-tangible music like this harder to review, but I think you nailed it.

Pos my friend

Digging: Lord Snow - SHADOWMARKS

January 12th 2016

Hehe, yeah I've been going under this alias for a couple of weeks now :] Not gonna lie, this is one of the harder reviews I've written for that very reason, but if it's sufficient then I suppose I can live with that. Thanks!

Graveyard
January 12th 2016

Nice review for an amazing album. This is by far the best user release at this point.

It's good to see this album is getting the recognition and exposure it deserves (like on RYM for example)

EvoHavok

Nice review, Aaron!

ScuroFantasma
January 13th 2016

Review is excellent as always, although from your descritpion I doubt I'd like this. Might give it a chance regardless though.

decoyoctopus
January 13th 2016

EDIT: Didn't even realize this was by a sputnik user. Can't tell you how impressed I am by this!

Am I correct in my hearing hints of Ulver, both new and old, Musk Ox, Bohren & der Club of Gore, hell even some of the noisier aspects of post rock on this monster of an album?

January 13th 2016

it's very professionally put together yeah

ButteryBiscuitBass
January 13th 2016

Such a good album, Mike. Proud to have been a part of it with the small contribution I made.