Whitehouse
Birthdeath Experience

by CaliggyJack USER (82 Reviews)
November 25th, 2015 | 18 replies

Release Date: 1980 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In the beginning, there was only darkness.

Talking about the debut album of one of the most important Power Electronics groups of all time is definitely one of the finer joys in life. Birthdeath Experience was produced by William Bennett after his falling out with Essential Logic. William wanted to make music that would "Bludgeon the listener into submission." The result was Birthdeath Experience.

The whole record starts off with On Top, one of my favorite songs on the record. At six minutes and six seconds, On Top utilizes this curdling noise throughout the beginning as William Bennett's vocals slowly coming into play with a troubled moan. On Top takes a more slow turn when compared to most Whitehouse songs, but Birthdeath Experience was one of the more mellow albums in their catalog. On Top is followed by Mindphaser, which takes a much more rough sound with less echoes. Turning the frequency up high and mixing it with Bennett's uncompromisingly creepy tone as he slowly tells you "Rest Your Head, Rest Your Head, Rest Your Head" is incredibly haunting.

Going even further, we continue with one of Whitehouse's more popular pieces Rock And Roll. It starts with a gyrating synth while small "bleeps", as I like to call them, consistently trot along the background. William Bennett is surprisingly less noticeable in this piece, relying more on the creepy synths to carry the tone. I will admit that The Second Coming is not one of my favorites. The synths tend to mimic the sound of On Top without any of the substance and the whirling echo tends to distract heavily from William's vocals. It is remarkably creepy, however.

Coitus is where the album takes a much different turn. The song starts off with heavy static as subtle conversation can be heard in the background, this lasts for almost the entire piece until near the last forty-five seconds and leaves a much more impactful impression than The Second Coming, but largely feels a bit too simple. Birthdeath Experience is largely reminiscent of 4'33" but shorter, mostly silence requiring your now worn out ear drums to piece themselves back together after this cavalcade of chaos.

Birthdeath Experience is not a record many Whitehouse fans talk fondly of and I never knew why. It basically innovated the Power Electronics genre and its tracks, though mellow, are just as creepy and terrifying as other albums, even more so. Birthdeath Experience is exactly what it said it was. The birth of a new experience, and the death of all experiences you've ever felt before.

Dream Machine The IllusionShoji Meguro Persona 5 Original Soundtrack
Black Rainbows PandaemoniumToto 40 Trips Around the Sun
Isaak SermonizePanic! at the Disco A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
2.9
good

November 25th 2015

wow, honestly did not expect this one to ever be reviewed

for the review itself, its really nice. the album is..... eh.

its influential at least i guess

Digging: Zao - Where Blood and Fire Bring Rest

November 25th 2015

erector shits on this yea

November 25th 2015

I tend to do track by track in my reviews. Sorry

November 25th 2015

reviews are a learning experience, you improve as u get along c:

November 25th 2015

Thanks, right now I am binging all of the Whitehouse albums so I hope to have a review of Total Sex up tomorrow.

sounds nice man

i've been trying to write a review for cruise for the longest time now, but everytime i start i just come up with a complete blank for words

November 25th 2015

Cruise tends to leave anybody within a 5 meter radius speechless, so I don't blame you.

Artuma
November 25th 2015

from bvb to whitehouse? geez

Digging: Daughters - You Won't Get What You Want

bet this is awful

damn sach no chill

12000 Comments

nah i would made better noise with farts mixing them with granular synths

12000 Comments

i don't need to be expert to know what i like and what not, Whitehouse kinda of suck i mean i didn't really liked bird seed which is considered their best ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12000 Comments

well not really i like some, i'd say even most i've heard, might check some early whitehouse, will see.

November 25th 2015

if your going to check early whitehouse check peter kurten

its like the shortest and the most accessible (for noise standards) 25 minutes ever

NeroCorleone80

Great White Death rules hard

Digging: G Herbo - Humble Beast

November 25th 2015

jac if u want the good shit check out

Peter Kurten

Erector [2]

Bird Seed

Asceticists

Mummy + Daddy

Quality Time

Cruise

trust me their entire discog is not worth it

November 25th 2015

i have all the sj i need with we spit on their graves

November 25th 2015

fall of nature makes for nice bg music too