Beach Slang
The Things We Do to Find People Who Feel

by SowingSeason STAFF
October 23rd, 2015 | 136 replies

Release Date: 10/30/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We are young and alive.

There’s music that accomplishes a goal, and then there’s the kind of stuff that captures a spirit. I can’t say there’s anything particularly goal-oriented about The Things We Do To Find People Who Feel Like Us, but ideologically, that’s precisely the point. Beach Slang’s full-length debut is a rallying cry, a generational statement of youth that is encountered about as frequently as one’s youth itself. It lives fast and dies young, cramming ten compelling anthems into a twenty six minute bottle that will leave you drunk, dazed, and not giving a fuck about anything besides being young and alive.

Amid fuzzy guitars and reckless percussion, vocalist James Alex proclaims “I feel most alive when I’m listening to every record that hits harder than the pain.” If that isn’t the perfect indictment of how we all feel when we’re seventeen, rebelling against our parents, and despising every second of school that we’re forced to endure, then I’ll be damned. If it doesn’t also encapsulate how you feel when you’re twenty six, sitting alone in a small apartment, and wondering where everyone in your life went – then I don’t know what does. The Things We Do hits you right in the chest no matter what age you are, vividly portraying that angst-ridden part of us that never really grows up. At times it’s brash and filled with boundless energy (“the night is alive, it’s loud and I’m drunk”), while during other moments it proves intelligent and insightful ( “I try to use my brain, but every time I do my heart gets in the way.”) Here, Beach Slang craft a piece worthy of inebriated nights as well as thoughtful introspection, and chances are The Things We Do will inspire you to do a little of both.

It isn’t hasty to say that Beach Slang have captured lightning in a bottle, because it’s more than just a clichéd summation of their achievement. In fact, it describes this album’s energy in a fashion far more precise than I could ever venture to do. At some point or another, we all feel as though the electricity of our existence is being trapped in a confined space, waiting to break loose. The Things We Do To Find People Who Feel Like Us pops the lid, vigorously releasing that energy into the atmosphere. It’s liberating.

Blaqk Audio Only Things We LoveKaren O and Danger Mouse Lux Prima
Copeland BlushingThe Japanese House Good At Falling
And The Kids When This Life Is OverFlorida Georgia Line Can't Say I Ain't Country

October 23rd 2015

oh sowing i'm so glad to hear this is excellent! been really looking forward to this

Here you go Gryomania:

thank you!

ZackSh33
October 23rd 2015

Great review Sowing, was just about to sit down and write the review for this one, but you beat me to it

October 23rd 2015

Nice review sowing, short but sweet. I'm all for relatable lyrics so I'll give this a shot

Digging: Madison Cunningham - For the Sake of the Rhyme

psandy

This makes me miss Adam

October 23rd 2015

Thanks guys, this was an interesting little review to write but the words just seemed to come so I put it to paper. I adore this and I think others will too.

brainmelter

will checkx5

Digging: Aethyrvorous - Demo

NightProwler
October 24th 2015

Good review. I'm really looking forward to this. Should get it in the mail within a week.

dimsim3478
October 24th 2015

i dunno whether it's that i wasn't listening close enough to those first two EPs or that the songwriting on this has been taken up a huge notch but i haven't really cared about this band until now. this thing plays to my heart in just the right way.

edit: no wait this ain't that good

Digging: Wander (CA) - March

NightProwler
October 24th 2015

I love their two first EPs, but yeah, they've received some criticism. I haven't heard this one yet, so I can't say if it's better or not. Trying not to hear it until I receive it

October 24th 2015

I think Ride the Wild Haze is my favorite off this but they're all so damn good

ConsumerOfNut
October 24th 2015

I really don't think the songwriting improved but I loved the EPs so I won't complain, album rules

Forest159
October 24th 2015

So glad this is amazing. I am really looking forward to this and loved both EP's.

October 24th 2015

I only casually listened to the EPs, but I think this is at a whole different level

Calc
October 25th 2015

young and alive is easily bestest

someguest
October 25th 2015

In reference to the album title:

Take and send pictures of our cocks?

facetofacereunion08
October 25th 2015

I think the 2 EPs blow this full length out of the water. Surprised to see people feel the other way!

TheSupernatural
October 26th 2015

Damn, was hoping to review this an Sowing drops the killer review out of the gate

SteveP