The Haggis Horns
What Comes To Mind

by I II II L USER (37 Reviews)
October 13th, 2015 | 35 replies

Release Date: 10/02/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Funk never left the party, it’s just chillin’ at the deep end of the pool

Everyone knows about the ‘70s, I mean who doesn’t love that decade" Many of the most respected and revered artists of all time had their heydays in this span of 10 years, and many genres spouted from this span of time, one of particular interest being funk. Funk was one of the biggest and most popular musical genres back in its heyday, with notable acts including Earth, Wind, and Fire, Parliament-Funkadelic, Kool and the Gang, The Ohio Players, and many others rocking the charts and nightclubs of the ‘70s. These days, however, funk just doesn’t get the amount of attention it once did, and when a notable album does come up it’s usually electronic and synthesizer driven, which begs the question, where is the soul" Where are the guitars"" And most of all, where are the goddamn horns"""" This, my friends, is where the Haggis Horns comes in.

The Haggis Horns are a 7-piece band from Scotland that specializes in the subgenre known as “deep funk”. Deep funk is basically the cool kid in the school of funk that all the other subgenres want to be; it’s known for being more soulful, grittier, rawer in general. And The Haggis Horns are one of the most well-known by a considerable margin, considering the band’s members have worked with such well-known acts as Jamiroquai, John Legend, The Roots, Amy Winehouse, Mark Ronson, Adele, Duran Duran, Lily Allen, and Estelle just to name a few of them.

When it comes to their main sound, The Haggis Horns can generally be best described as extremely jazzy funk, but on this album they are much more than that. Here, the Haggis Horns manage to easily transition from fast-paced catchy instrumental jams such as title track ‘Return of the Haggis’ to slower, soulful R&B songs like ‘Give Me Something Better’ to even disco-homages like ‘Digging in the Dirt’ without any issues. This is mainly because of the album’s main centerpiece: the horn section. The guys behind the horns know a good melody when they hear one, and their performance is the driving force behind all the tracks on this album. These are guys who know their instruments and love doing what they do, which translates in the album to a very relaxed tone and a sense of fun whenever the horns are playing. Some of the best moments on this album are the horn solos in songs like ‘I Can’t Stop The Feeling’.

What Comes To Mind is a grand homage to the funk of yesteryear done by professionals. While it’s rawer and carries some of that ‘deep-funk’ edge, it’s more than accessible enough to be played at clubs or with friends. It’s a fun, bouncy, yet relaxed ride can be enjoyed by just about anyone looking for a fun time.

Palm Desert Pearls From the Muddy HollowThe Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones No.2
Hills FridEcho Tail King Defeatism
Masta Ace SlaughtahouseAll Them Witches A Sweet Release

October 12th 2015

took me a bit to finish this, anyway criticisms welcome!

also a special thanks to Johnnyonthespot for proofreading this

Stream:

MrSirLordGentleman

f///////////////

Great review man, pos'd!

October 12th 2015

thanks m8! now I'm gonna hope this gets a feature so that the rest of Sput gets to check this out

laughingman22
October 13th 2015

cool cover, and the genre is funk. Gotta check this baby out

Digging: Bjork - Utopia

ScuroFantasma
October 13th 2015

Great review, I'll check this for sure, sounds very imteresting.

Digging: Evilfeast - Elegies of the Stellar Wind

October 13th 2015

thanks guys, I think both of you would dig this, particularly Laughingman tho

MrSirLordGentleman

Why does this get more attention than the Stylistics :[

I dunno but yeah Greasin' the Wheels is way better

DinosaurJones
October 13th 2015

I want to hear this. This is a reminder for me to check this out later.

Digging: Swarms - Black Chapel Sun

chaywa
October 13th 2015

I get awkward looks from the rest of the office when I have this album playing on headphones, apparently I end up seat shuffle dancing.

That alone is worthy of a 4.0 in my eyes.

Lol nice

RivalSkoomaDealer
October 13th 2015

This is a very well written review. Might check this out later.

This honks.

Digging: Swarms - Black Chapel Sun

y u don't like?

October 13th 2015

I'll give it a go dude I pos'd but anyone who hails from Scotland and calls themselves the Haggis Horns are obviously a right bunch of prats.

October 13th 2015

lol they're way better than their name suggests

DinosaurJones

MOVIN' AND GROOVIN'

Dr7
October 13th 2015

Nice review. Pos. This is great stuff - wasn't sure to begin with but my concerns were quelled a couple tracks in. On "Digging In The Dirt" now which is just fantastic.

October 13th 2015

I don't Adam and Eve it. This is actually alright.