Johnny Winter
Live Johnny Winter And

by sonictheplumber USER (115 Reviews)
October 5th, 2015 | 14 replies

Release Date: 1971 | Tracklist

Boys and girls, white blues ain't what it used to be. Clean, prettyboy bitches like John Mayer and Joe Bonamassa get up there and I ask myself, what do they have to be singin the blues for" Guy like John Mayer's had his chode licked clean by countless hoes, and he's up there trying to convince me he's ZZ Top" Speaking of which, when I first heard the seminal Tres Hombres back in the 70s, I never once thought that one day the Top would be opening for Kid Rock at some Nascar event. Times have changed. Saddest of all, our man Johnny Winter, the Albino wizard bluesman, is dead. And with his death, white blues takes another kick in the balls. A tear goes down my cheek.

Let us relive the glory days. Live Johnny Winter And is a blues rock explosion of intensity. Just look at the line-up: Rick Derringer of "Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo" fame, a song played routinely in Waffle Houses all across America, does-his-job bassist Randy Jo Hobbs who's so slick you can hardly tell he's there (the way it should be in blues), drummer Bobby Caldwell who would go on to play for Captain Beyond, and of course, Elric of Melnibone himself, Johnny ***ing Winter.

This live album features mostly covers of blues and rock n roll standards. Also on the setlist is a Stones cover that - pardon my French - queefs right in Mick Jagger's face, as well as a Winter original that sounds the same as the covers. What immediately strikes the listener like a shark in the night is Winter's mean mother***ing tone. It's no wonder doom pioneers Saint Vitus cite Winter as an influence. This makes me want to kill people!