Goolagoon
Patrickviolence Demo

by Scuro STAFF
October 4th, 2015 | 34 replies

Release Date: 2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Are you feeling it now?

Who headbangs in a pineapple under the sea? Massachusetts based powerviolence quartet Goolagoon - that's who. With their unique style of hardcore punk, touched with surf rock elements and a loose Spongebob-inspired theme, the Patrickviolence Demo proves to be a thoroughly entertaining EP, if a tad contrived.

First things first, the production on this album is perfect. Whereas most powerviolence bands opt for a muddy, low-fi production, Goolagoon instead favour a crisp, balanced mix, ensuring every element of their sound cuts through clearly. The bass guitar rumbles beneath the speedy, power-chord driven guitar riffs while the drumming remains punchy and exciting throughout the EP. Vocalist Lily drapes her yrics over the top of the instrumental foundation like a picnic blanket over a bed of jagged rock. Her vocal style is closer to a shout than the typical frenzied screaming you might expect, and due to this and the surprisingly level mixing, her lyrics are intelligible and effective. The band also experiment with different pacing and tempos on Patrickviolence. In between the chaos, there are slower segments full of stilted, sludgy playing and thick tones. The guitarist scatters some noticeable surf-rock clichés into his playing, such as tremolo picked downward slides and treble-y chords, especially evident on the full-on surf rock number ‘Goo Lagoon’ which closes the album on a lighter note. He always returns to the ear-shattering harmonics and breakneck playing, however, firmly establishing the bands powerviolence sound, but these temporary strolls through a seemingly incongruous genre helps this band to stand out from the crowd. The extremely short track and album duration are also typical of this sub genre, with each song lasting less than a minute and a half, making this a very brief listening experience, but a worthwhile one regardless.

Of course, the most immediate idiosyncrasy the band carries is their Spongebob references, and while Goolagoon consistently tries to impress this theme on the listener, it can't quite be regarded as anything more than a light hearted gimmick. Sure, it ties in somewhat with their surf-y influences, and each song kicks off with a sample taken from the show, but remove the samples and you're simply left with a solid powerviolence album full of unusual motifs. The lyrics have almost nothing to do with the overbearing theme, and there aren't any mid-track references linking to the supposed subject material. In the end though, it's best to just accept the gimmick for what it is and appreciate the bands attempt to inject a lighthearted atmosphere into a typically dark genre. If anything, this further demonstrates how willing Goolagoon are to experiment with the typical hardcore sound, which proves to be the Patrickviolence Demo’s greatest asset.

Russkaja No One Is IllegalNatsukashii Driving East
Disturbed EvolutionKorpiklaani Kulkija
Jonathan Davis Black LabyrinthMajesty of Silence Zu Dunkel Für Das Licht
3.2
good

October 4th 2015

Sweet little pv EP, heaps of fun. Available here as a name your price: http://goolagoonhc.bandcamp.com/releases

As always, feedback is welcome and appreciated.

TheSonomaDude

moar spongecore!

October 4th 2015

@Sachiko- oops, nice catch thanks man

TheSonomaDude
October 4th 2015

I remember checking this and finding it tolerable.

October 4th 2015

It's good stuff, much better musically than spongecore

Judio!
October 4th 2015

By the way you forgot your BRIEFCASE!

oh wait wrong band

October 4th 2015

Haha, I love that part though

October 4th 2015

Really pleasantly surprised by this - I do think that the samples are pretty unnecessary and if anything detract slightly from the aggressive energy of the album (a big draw of PV for me), but when they get going it's really solid stuff. Great review as always dude, pos'd. You going for contrib this time around? ^.^

October 4th 2015

Thanks man (:, glad you checked it out and liked it too. Yeah some of the samples are a bit overlong too, like the bus one, but I've learned to just go with them, they're not too intrusive. And yeah man I might go for contrib, how about you?

October 4th 2015

Yeah, they're not intrusive, they just disrupt the flow a bit which I think's a shame.
You should do it! I'm not writing consistently enough at the moment, I've only written 11 this year and 5 in 3 months so if I can get my rate up then... maybe.

SCREAM!
October 4th 2015

"Yeah I fully agree, they'd be better off ditching the spongebob stuff because it's far from vital to their sound. And yeah I get that, you're a great writer though. Still a couple months to go."

Yeah the spongebob theme is making me not want to check this out. Between xspongexcorex and swagbob the spongebob jokes have been overdone to oblivion

October 4th 2015

It's overlookable, just frustrating. If you like powerviolence Scream I would still check this out, as the music itself is totally untouched by our little yellow sponge's influence.

October 4th 2015

Yeah it's definitely not 'part of the music' so it doesn't really have any impact on the album, check it Scream, you could skip the short samples at the start of the songs if you really wanted to.

SCREAM!
October 4th 2015

Frustrating is right. The music is solid but being that the songs are so short the EP is basically 50/50 music and spongebob samples that don't fit in

October 4th 2015

Good point, when half of a 1:30 song is an unecessary sample it's a bit annoying

Asdfp277
October 4th 2015

Wasn't there another spongebob-themed hardcore band, other than this and xSPONGExCOREx?

October 4th 2015

Another spongebob influenced band eh? That being said, very enjoyable and well written review man. Keep it up!

Digging: My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything

October 4th 2015

Thanks Atari (: and yeah it's a tacked on theme, but the music is solid.

SharkTooth