Slugdge
Dim and Slimeridden Kingdoms

by Scuro F. STAFF
September 26th, 2015 | 93 replies

Release Date: 09/22/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: May Mollusca have mercy upon your soul.

Snail-worshipping death metal giants Slugdge have returned, emerging from the shell once again to threaten humanity and eardrums alike. Barely a year after releasing their highly-acclaimed Gastronomicon in mid 2014, it would be an understatement to say that these U.K. based musicians have released a worthy follow-up. Characterised by its crushing blend of black and death metal styles, as well as the aforementioned fixation on Gastropod overlords, Slugdge’s latest masterpiece is certainly worthy of attention and commendation.

Dim and Slimeridden Kingdoms sees Slugdge expand on the territories they explored through albums previous, maintaining their signature sound while experimenting with a more atmospheric approach, and the addition of electronically synthesised embellishments. Kicking things off is the eight and a half minute behemoth of a title track; this, the longest song in Slugdge catalogue, is handled spectacularly. Immediately the band introduce the album with an industrial-sounding electronic piece coupled with a foreboding, bass-y drone. The somewhat incongruous mixture creates a simultaneously upbeat and disconcerting feeling, foreshadowing the apocalyptic destruction to come and giving way to fast-paced riffing. It's almost impossible not to notice the exceptional production right off the bat. Every element of Slugdge's immense sound is distinct and crisp, and although their sonic quality is thick and sludgy by nature, this doesn't prevent clarity from prevailing. Throughout the album, the drumming remains punchy and rich, the bass guitar oozes and gurgles beneath, and the guitars slice through the centre. Atop this steady foundation punctuates three distinct vocal styles. This lends the band a welcome variety in delivery, something that most of their contemporaries can't hope to match. A combination of growling and black metal-esque screaming take the brunt of the duties, while clean vocals, in a style reminiscent of Enslaved’s Grutle Kjellson, smooth things over periodically.

The songs are on the long side, but this is a territory in which Slugdge are completely comfortable. Dim and Slimeridden Kingdoms never seems to drag or feel tiring, as Slugdge take advantage of every minute they take up. Lyrically, the content is simultaneously ridiculous and legitimately horrifying. Complex and intelligent phrases are juxtaposed with the placid and completely unthreatening snail imagery, but if these supposed otherworldly invaders were somewhat more sinister creatures, then perhaps the darkness of the imagery might elicit terror rather than mere intrigue. As it is, they serve as a vessel for some well thought out misanthropic phrases nonetheless. Another area where this album excels is on the songwriting front. From the Opeth-sounding melodic riffs on ‘Spore Ensemble’ to the speedy tremolo picking and palm-muted heaviness of ‘Suffering and Quahog’, variety is plentiful. Even ‘The Chapter for Transforming into a Slug’, with its bouncy electronic element and rhythm heavy style, is a downright headbanger.

Slugdge have once again managed to create a thoroughly satisfying album packed full of eye-stalk shaking riffs and fast-paced blackened death metal. Dim and Slimeridden Kingdoms serves as an excellent follow up to Gastronomicon, managing not just to live up to the high expectations that album set, but to surpass them.

Dream Troll The Witch's CurseLautreamont Silence of the Deceased
WuW Rien ne nous sera épargnéSlugdge Esoteric Malacology
Drudkh They Often See Dreams About The SpringOne Step From the Edge Beneath the Surface

September 26th 2015

Album can be downloaded here as a name your price: https://slugdge.bandcamp.com/album/dim-and-slimeridden-kingdoms

Thanks to AaronIsCrunchy for the summary which I stole from a comment he made to me (:

Archelirion
September 26th 2015

You beaut. Pos'd hard, and best summary ;] Great album too, haven't devoted as much time to it as I'd like to have done yet but the riffs here...

osmark86

Oo yah pos

Digging: Leprous - Malina

trvvve
September 26th 2015

agreed, better than their last album

m/

Thanks guys.

@trvvve Yeah I wasn't expecting that going in but it's soooo good.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

(edit: fixed)

- - - - -
if i had any criticism, i feel like this review could be a bit more lighthearted, given the band. maybe even combing through it and making some of your sentences a bit more casual would help. i'm a big fan of using strong diction to really highlight certain things, but when there's an opportunity to say something bluntly for the same effect, it's not a bad thing. that's actually something I'm trying to implement in my own writing a bit more

Dizchu
September 26th 2015

Great review, great album. Nice to see Slugdge getting appreciation. After all the shiny, textureless technical death metal albums that have been coming out lately, it's nice to hear a band strike a good balance between filth and clarity.

Pos'd, of course.

September 26th 2015

@Johnny - I'll fix those first two thanks man, as for the lightheartedness, I get what you're saying but to be honest I don't really feel like this band is that 'comical' or 'relaxed' except thematically, everything else is pretty straightforward. I'll try and tighten up some of my descriptions though.

@Dizchu - thanks, nice rating

ExplosiveOranges
September 26th 2015

goddammit scuro, you beat me to it

TheSonomaDude

Brutal slug metal

Digging: Konstriktor - Konstrikt Or Die!

emester
September 26th 2015

Weird how this did next to nothin for me :/ honestly really bummed out

Digging: Sleep - The Sciences

September 26th 2015

@Explo sorry dude I had no idea, you should still post one though

@Emester give it another go man, it gets better after a few listens

deezer666
September 26th 2015

Yeah last Album was one of the recs of the year for me but first few listens passed me by on this one. Need to devote more time.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
September 27th 2015

some of the edits look good. ftr i didn't mean make it "comical" but perhaps a bit less clinical. it's solid now, though

Lord(e)Po)))ts
September 27th 2015

Snail-worshipping death metal giants Slugdge have returned

im so not down with this

Lord(e)Po)))ts

i trust u on this one

Hawks
September 27th 2015

Last album was sweet, will check this hard.

Digging: X-Raided - Psycho Active

Calc
September 27th 2015

"Gastropodic death metal that lurks in the cool, dark places of the earth...until night falls. You shall know them by the trail they leave behind."

so punny

Essence
September 27th 2015

damn tehse guys have another out already? crazy

Flugmorph
September 27th 2015

oh year the wigger years