Lana Del Rey

good

by Jordan M. STAFF
September 22nd, 2015 | 115 replies

Release Date: 09/18/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: All the world's a stage.

In conversation with Anupa Mistry, Abel Tesfaye noted the parallels between his own lecherous persona The Weeknd and Lizzy Grant's disaster seeker Lana Del Rey, specifically of how they locate themselves in each other's compositions. Unlike The Weeknd, however, Del Rey's always fought an uphill battle because she plays the lethargic and detached victim in these performances, as opposed to the agent of accountability who caused it all. Comparatively, she's what's left after the chauvinist's purge, made all the more unlikeable for prescribing to a defeatists narrative that audiences generally feel anxious about identifying with.

It's probably not fair, because in the drab wastelands Del Rey inhabits she's just as prone to a vacant majesty as much as she is the sullen plodding she's often accused of. Make no mistakes, Honeymoon is a tiring listen, 65-minutes of exhausting and protracted misery that never really reaches catharsis. It just sort of basks in its own absurd self-loathing, as if to imply Morrissey never really could hate himself quite like this. It's impressively catatonic music punctuated by the occasional upbeat detour, most notable on the immediately dated (yet still undeniably glorious) trap-footed "High By the Beach". But then being upbeat has never been Del Rey's strength, and although we all like to giggle at her self-appointed descriptor as a 'gangster Nancy Sinatra', Honeymoon genuinely succeeds when its narrative doubles down on narcotics and the mechanization of sex. The likes of "Music to Watch Boys to" and "Terrence Loves You" aren't nearly as important or satisfying as the bleak exhibitions of "Art Deco" and the title-track, where Lana Del Rey finally realizes she's too fucked up to care. It's the best move Grant's made for herself since composing "Video Games", because she's opened the door for her next album to be more than just contrarian viewpoints; if we're lucky, it could be the fullest realization of Lana Del Rey yet.

All the world's a stage, and Lizzy Grant is just another player, performer, and portrayer. Although we may anguish over her contrasting sincerity and irony, it's difficult to argue how compelling her contradiction truly is. Overwrote, overlong, and melodramatic to the nth degree, Honeymoon succeeds because it's what we expected: Lana Del Rey doing Lana Del Rey, complete with the faults and the scars. Forget your moralistic pretenses and you might just enjoy it.

Travis Scott AstroworldDenzel Curry TA13OO
Pusha T DAYTONAPost Malone beerbongs and bentleys
J. Cole K.O.D.Manic Street Preachers Resistance Is Futile
3.1
good
cmaitland421 (4)
"We both know that it's not fashionable to love me"...

Curlyadeux (3.5)

LaughingSkull (4)
Rebound!...

BradleyLayne (1.5)
This is another flop from Lana Del Rey, but an ever so modest improvement....

wtferrothorn
September 22nd 2015

great review, mindpos. Still not a fan of this album. Just feels too one-noted and bland

TheGreatQ
September 22nd 2015

That "Music To Watch Boys To" link you gave isn't really it.

That's the real one.

Digging: My Ticket Home - Unreal

great album

Tunaboy45
September 22nd 2015

Never understood the immense hype she got in the first place

Digging: Ghost (SWE) - Prequelle

Pangea
September 22nd 2015

Haven't heard a single song from this but im sure it is alright

Typhoner
September 22nd 2015

so far I find this quite unremarkable compared to her other work

ScuroFantasma

Great review Arcade

Digging: Mortiis - The Grudge

September 22nd 2015

Great review, although I like this album a lot more than other people do evidently.

Digging: Rise Against - The Ghost Note Symphonies, Vol. 1

LaughingSkull
September 22nd 2015

hmm, I think that Honeymoon is the least crass of her albums so far, when it comes to discussing drugs and sex. Except for High by the Beach, most of the songs are about romance and sadness, not so much fucking and addiction.

Tunaboy45

High On The Beach is so absurd it borders on art

deathschool
September 22nd 2015

High On the Beach is art because it is music which is a popular form of art or so I've been told**

Digging: Travis Scott - Astroworld

Cayit
September 22nd 2015

Honeymoon is Del Rey's best album and it is for me THE ALBUM OF THE YEAR !

DropdeadWHA
September 22nd 2015

it's her best album for sure, really consistent. God knows I tried hits hard.

September 22nd 2015

honeymoon, god knows i've tried, terrence loves you, art deco (even though the chorus is meh), and blackest day are my picks

hogan900
September 22nd 2015

Great review as always man! Could never get into this woman, and even with this I just still can't find anything really remarkable.

I'd have to pick Freak or the Blackest Day as my favourites

LaughingSkull
September 22nd 2015

art deco (even though the chorus is meh),

haha, I was thinking the same. It sounds like it could have been on BTD or a b-side song.

September 22nd 2015

isn't it a shame? the verses are excellent and the atmosphere is sublime, but then that chorus kicks in. so frustrating lol

guitarded_chuck
September 22nd 2015

go listen to alvvays instead

* as well