Bathe
Ornothopsieism in Seven Movements

by Arche USER (86 Reviews)
August 23rd, 2015 | 17 replies

Release Date: 07/14/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A horror film in 7 parts.

'Ornothopsieism in Seven Movements' is, quite frankly, horrifying. A 22 minute track set into 7 clearly defineable tracks, Columbia-based Bathe set out with the overused yet ever-present aim of making an album as unsettling as they could muster - and although it's questionable whether or not they wholly succeed in this department, they have created a debut album that is far more enjoyable than the original idea would lend to.

From the slurry pool of genres used across 'Ornothopsieism...'s length there are elements of sludge, grindcore, hardcore and noise which combine together to make something wholeheartedly obnoxious. The first two Movements (the name given to the individual sections here) open up the septych with a distinctively muddy feel, keeping everything dense and largely low-register while vocalist Alex Strickland takes centre stage, switching between a low southern roar and a more throat-shredding scream. The drums meander and the riffs pound, building to a mid-tempo climax similar to a Thou or Eyehategod passage; by this point, Bathe seem content to sit in this heavy, thick mire they've created themselves, and it would be perfectly acceptable for them to do so.

However, then something changes. A peal of feedback leads into a modulating whine, sounding akin to a gale that flies in through the eyeballs and ears, circulating the brain and piercing the brain like waves of neuralgia. From this comes an explosion in energy which is maintained across the following track in a similar yet higher-paced vein to the initial tracks, but the scene is set for the gut-wrenching finale that the final three movements yield. Off-kilter repetitive riffs dance with shrieks, screams, blast beats and poorly tuned celestas, permeated by granular distortion and a constantly building feeling of trepidation leading into Movement VII where, among other things, a woman's terrified cries can be heard alongside the feedback and doomy riffs present throughout. Clichéd, yes, but carried through with enough conviction that it somehow escapes being laughable despite the trope.

As an exercise in unpleasantness, 'Ornothopsieism in Seven Movements' ticks all of the right boxes - thundering, twisted and occasionally somewhat difficult to listen to, this is not an album that can be listened to lightly. However, the more one listens the more is picked up and noted upon, which means that Bathe's introductory piece is a highly rewarding, remarkably well thought-out piece of progressing sludge that is much more than a simple blunder into mindless aggression.

Asthma Castle Mount CrushmoreSnail's House Snö
The Body O God who avenges, shine forth. Rise up, Judge ofJohn Prine John Prine
Morrissey Low In High SchoolIDYLLS The Barn
recommended by reviewer
Thou Algiers
Pig Destroyer Terrifyer

August 23rd 2015

https://batheus.bandcamp.com/releases - Well worth listening to more than once to fully appreciate. Any comments, corrections and whatnot welcome as always :]

EvoHavok
August 23rd 2015

Great review. Interesting, but what the hell is that first word in the album title?

Digging: Children of Bodom - Hexed

August 23rd 2015

Rather embarrassingly, it's a typo ;_; I've managed to add the title to the database slightly wrong (I've made a correction, but it'll need a bit of time to go through). Thanks all the same ^_^

EvoHavok
August 23rd 2015

Still no idea what it's supposed to mean lol.

August 23rd 2015

I think it's a word they've made up. I'm fairly confident that Ornotho- is anything to do with birds (though it's normally ornitho-) but I dunno.

FrozenVain
August 23rd 2015

This looks bizarre. Great review, pos'd. I might check.

ComeToDaddy
August 23rd 2015

Nice review, pos'd hard. I don't know how I feel about that album art, but the albums you dig up always hit me in the right spot, will check

August 23rd 2015

The recs section has me interested. Has me expecting a slow/fast dynamic. Will check

Great review btw

August 23rd 2015

Thanks guys :] The album art is a bit weird definitely, it is actually a dead bird as far as I know. And yeah Evan, the slow/fast dynamic is spot on really, kinda flips between tracks and whatnot. Hope you all like it!

August 23rd 2015

Alright listening right now, and its decent I guess. I'm getting a more "what if Ulcerate had a baby with Iron Monkey" vibe from it. Its sounds a bit sloppy and for the most part not in the good kind of way :[ Like it seems lost in trying to be as dissonant, sludgy and atmospheric as possible.

August 23rd 2015

Ah shame! How far in are you at the moment?

August 23rd 2015

Movement 6 right now. Just noticed Marston mastered this, which is pretty cool cuz it honestly doesn't sound like his production style that much.

EDIT: On Movement 7 now and its definitely the high point of my first listen. It doesn't try to do to much that it gets unfocused like the majority of this. Just pure chilling atmosphere

CalculatingInfinity
August 23rd 2015

Aaron bringing the quality as always.

August 23rd 2015

N'aww, thanks Calc :3 Marston producing it surprised me as well, I'd have expected a much clearer feel to it than what we have here.

TzarChasm
August 23rd 2015

Is this going to appeal to someone who loves demented music like The Axis of Perdition and Stagnant Waters? Just the other day I was thinking "I really need more bona fide nightmare fuel," but the genres named in the description rarely interest me.

titanslayer
August 23rd 2015

To me this didn't really do anything wrong but it didn't do much right either. It's not anywhere near as aggressive as it seems to try to be

October 4th 2015

Not gonna lie, this is wearing off pretty fast.