Arizmenda
Stillbirth in the Temple of Venus

by TheSpirit CONTRIBUTOR (146 Reviews)
August 17th, 2015 | 157 replies

Release Date: 10/10/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "Arizmenda bleeds its third wound..."

Arizmenda is the sound of black metal losing its mind. That's what makes them so ***ING good; the trepidation you can't help but feel when listening to them. That spine-chilling sense of paranoia like something is creeping just behind you. When listening to Arizmenda, you don't feel safe. They wouldn't have it any other way.

For all the bands that deal with matters of mental torment, Arizmenda has, since their 2007 inception, been among the best. Their debut album Within the Vacuum of Infinity... was a harrowing experience of atmospheric black metal. Follow-up Without Circumference Nor Center emphasized the psychedelic subtleties of previous record, igniting that fervor into feverish delirium. After what seemed like an eternal three year wait, The Black Twilight Circle's most notorious band have dropped their most accomplished work to date, Stillbirth In The Temple of Venus.

Building on the foundation provided by 2013's glorious compilation Tliltic Tlapoyauak, Stillbirth In The Temple of Venus dispenses with the free-flowing songwriting of the band's previous full-lengths in favor of a style that's more deliberate and consciously structured. The brilliantly titled "Cum In Your Wound" contrasts blackened psychedelia with claustrophobic atmospheres to create a hallucinogenic effect, while "Innocence and Illness" opens with vibrant melodies before descending into a chasm of anxiety-filled darkness. As a whole, Stillbirth... thrives on the dichotomy between deranged melodies and the band's trademarked discordance. Though the album features much more of the former than ever before, tracks like "Satyriasis" proves its increased implementation only serves to accentuate the insanity of the latter.

It's so relieving to see Arizmenda diversify. For as good as their style was, it would have inevitably become stale. Here, we see them progress without losing the core elements that make them such a unique entity. Stillbirth In The Temple of Venus is a black metal album all fans of the genre absolutely must hear; you'd be crazy not to.

Nihil Invocation Furthering the Depth of Lucid MadnessUlver The Assassination of Julius Caesar
Counterparts You're Not You AnymoreBlood Incantation Starspawn
Paramore After LaughterConverge The Dusk in Us

Balerion
August 17th 2015

This needed a review so bad. well done

BigPleb
August 17th 2015

Sounds like an album for all the family!

Badass album title.

MoosechriS
August 17th 2015

Awesome review again dude pos'd, just curious about your plan. Have you got s specific order in mind with tackling the entire btc catalogue? Or are you acting on your own inspiration?

Asdfp277

19464 Comments

The high, screechy guitar notes on the intro of "Rotted Seed...Poisoned Egg" reminds me of Power Electronics lol idk

EDIT: Actually, just Pure.

August 17th 2015

At first I was going to try to review them chronologically with some narrative about the btc running through each piece, but there really isn't that much info about it, so I gave that idea up. Now, it's pretty much whatever strikes me.

Digging: wellspring - iris's room

August 17th 2015

Nice to see nigs still reviewing the gainez. And that art tho

August 17th 2015

What did y'all think of the actual review doe

emester
August 17th 2015

Great album but for quite a while the rip I had of this was garbage. New one I got tho is perfect. It isn't just a mess of fuzz yet it still maintains that BTC rawness I love.

About the album tho, I feel like this album is like a middle ground between the two previous records musically. You got the trance inducing psychedelic elements like you mention in your review and theres also that signature abyssal atmosphere that was present in their debut.

Reviews great too. :] Just curious what album is up next in your BTC thingy?

August 17th 2015

Either BHL's Bloodflower, Mata Mata, or the Acualli/The Haunting Presenxe split... I haven't decided yet haha.

Balerion
August 17th 2015

@emster is that their bandcamp rip?

Archelirion
August 17th 2015

Colour me interested. Your review was absolutely mint, 'The brilliantly titled "Cum In Your Wound" contrasts blackened psychedelia with claustrophobic atmospheres to create a hallucinogenic effect' pretty much makes me want to listen to this by itself.

LifeFeedsOnLife
August 17th 2015

So what you're saying is, this isn't a 'shrooms-safe' album.. Good to know indeed. Still loving this so far..

Thanks Aaron! Glad ppl are enjoying this

August 17th 2015

Thanks Eli. You would definitely dig this.

Dryden

rules

August 18th 2015

Let me know what you think when/if you listen to it

Ovrot
September 11th 2015

sweet album

Hawks
January 4th 2016

Fuck this slays so hard, glad I finally got around to jamming it.

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On

January 4th 2016

One of my all time favorites

Crysis
January 4th 2016

still haven't listened to this, getting it now