Stiu Nu Stiu
Ultra Silvam

by tancrni USER (20 Reviews)
July 20th, 2015 | 101 replies

Release Date: 06/09/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Desperately beautiful.

Bandcamp is a mysterious and fascinating place. It is very easy to get lost in such a huge and complex world, where all music genres often get together and create very innovative sounds.
Most of the time, these experiments fail for being a sort of musical jargon, inaccessible to a wider audience, and they end up being too pretentious to be understood and followed by both the critics and the music consumers.
Sometimes, though, they are able to transmit a message that makes sense and as a result the whole thing works – be it an LP, an EP or anything else. In such circumstances, the listening turns out to be an emotional and enjoyable journey.

This is the case for Ultra Silvam (lat. “beyond the forest”), the first full-length release by the Stockholm-based band Ştiu Nu Ştiu, whose line-up consists of members coming from different groups and projects.
Ultra Silvam is a 60-minute-long masterpiece, forged out of many different genres. Combined together, they create an overly dark and gloomy sound able to touch the very bottom of your soul with its arid guitars and angelic, yet obscure, vocals.

The opening track (and title-track) begins in medias res and offers from the beginning to the end a perfectly-performed post-punk-inspired track, flavoured with riffs and guitar parts that invoke the essentials of gothic rock and shoegaze, increasingly influencial sources throughout the album.
In the following songs a female voice is added to the already wonderful accompaniment: a darkened and more nightmarish version of Bilinda Butcher's from My Bloody Valentine.
Consequently, No, You Are Not Special and Sista Dansen are both utterly beautiful in their apparent simplicity.

The album gets darker and gloomier with the 14-minute-long Borta: a slower, more contemplative and complex piece. Its sounds recall elements of metal, which are more emphasised in the second half of the album and add new musical material to the disc.
Lose/Loop, as a result, is heavier than the previous tracks and desperate emo-like vocals are introduced as well.
Despite the atmosphere may seem different in the second half, you can still feel it’s the same record for the emotions transimitted only slightly change.
Rús, with its 11 minutes, follows other two great tracks such as Groups and Shadow Kingdom, closing the release heroically with a majestic guitar solo over a layer of distorted and sludgy accompaniment.

The only arguable drawback of Ultra Silvam is its length: an album like this could have easily been 10 minutes shorter, without being less valid or efficient in any possible way.
Still, every song is worth your precious time and, therefore, the record is highly recommended to the ones who are hungry for recent music gems.
I guarantee that you shall not be disappointed.

Dropkick Murphys 11 Short Stories of Pain and GloryGaelic Storm Gaelic Storm
Pink Floyd The Endless RiverRancid Honor Is All We Know
The Old Firm Casuals This Means WarEagles Hotel California

Fake End

ShadowRemains
July 20th 2015

a lot of A+ melodies on this thing, really good stuff

19464 Comments

Oh my, a review already? m/

Hellscythe
July 20th 2015

hell yeah, glad this got a review

Digging: The Twilight Sad - It Won/t Be Like This All the Time

eddie95
July 20th 2015

Surely it's one of the best albums I've listened to in a while. It definitely needs more attention.

Special thanks go to ComeToDaddy, who helped me proofreading and improving the review with his suggestions.

Anything lower than a 4 is wrong

insomniac15

Digging: My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - In the House of Strange Affairs

TheGreatQ
July 20th 2015

So glad this got a review, it needs more attention.

ComeToDaddy
July 21st 2015

No problem man, you did some really nice work shifting the review around, flows a lot more smoothly now. Easy pos

Archelirion
July 21st 2015

'Are any of the band members Romanian? Știu Nu Știu means I know I don't know in Romanian.' - Not as far as I can tell. So pleased this got a review, CL0VER did god's work dredging this one up.

12001 Comments

Found it on accident when trying to see if another band had their albums on Bdandcamp, probably my favorite unintentional discovery.

Hellscythe
July 21st 2015

I had added this to the database and tried bringing attention to it nearly a year before CL0VER found it.. not complaining though, I'm just glad that somebody did finally manage to get Sputnik to notice this fantastic album.

impoppy

Streaming/free download here https://stiunustiu.bandcamp.com/album/ultra-silvam

12001 Comments

Man, you guys forgot the link to the damn album

Archelirion
July 21st 2015

My apologies Hellscythe. You too have done god's work.

all hail Hellscythe!

EvoHavok
July 21st 2015

All members seem to be Swedish, but I wonder how they came up with the name.

Digging: Swallow the Sun - When A Shadow Is Forced Into The Light

19464 Comments

I wonder how they came up with such good music

You should go ask them

MrNippleLipz
August 20th 2015

Seriously considering 5ing this, been listening to it a lot, there is nothing else like this and all the genres work surprisingly well together.

Lose/Loop is so cool

August 20th 2015

19464 Comments

le face when ur not listening this: >:[