Millencolin
True Brew

by LouisValentino USER (3 Reviews)
July 3rd, 2015 | 5 replies

Release Date: 04/28/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "John Lennon said it’s all you need. In theory it’s hard not to agree."

They make it seem so easy. With twenty-three years worth of skate park anthems under their belt, Millencolin returns from a seven year hiatus with a fresh batch of tracks just in time for summer.

True Brew sticks its hooks in you early and doesn't let go. It's no surprise that just two of the thirteen tracks exceed three minutes. But not a second is wasted; 'Egocentric Man' picks up the pace quickly with a chorus that will have you singing along by the second pass. And 'Believe In John' rounds out the album as an all-encompassing and thematically apt closer.

For the most part, Millencolin approach True Brew with maturity and positivity. 'Sense & Stability' is, in all respects, one of the best tracks in their discography. They take a level-headed stab at the racist agenda of Swedish nationalists with a refrain of "you're just a racist clown to me", but also touch on tolerance and not letting your self-righteousness breed your own hate and violence in return.

There aren't any traces of ska, but there is a short piano intro in 'Wall of Doubt', and 'Mr. Fake Believe' has a country western vibe throughout. Both of these seem like unnecessary inclusions.

Nostalgia inhibits me from calling True Brew my favorite Millencolin album, but objectivity allows me to call it one of their best. There's nothing not to like here. If you're an old fan, you are in for a treat. If this is your first Millencolin album, well, this is what you've been missing.

Piripichotes
July 3rd 2015

hummm... listened to it twice while on streaming.... didnt like it... very generic... I grow older and time tells me Life on a Plate was the highlight of their career.... with pennybridge being their "sing the sorrow"...

Ebola
January 31st 2016

this is so fucking good

gurudave
April 28th 2016

Pumped this on the way home from work tonight. Seeing these guys once again this weekend. Much like the reviewer, nostalgia is the only thing preventing me calling this their best album.

Storm In A Teacup
March 14th 2017

I need to check this and a couple other albums from these guys

May 20th 2017

Egocentric Man and several other songs here are easily as good as anything they did in their prime. underrated band, been on a huge old 90s punk kick

Digging: Amy Shark - Night Thinker