Main Attrakionz

by Trebor. STAFF
July 2nd, 2015 | 81 replies

Release Date: 06/30/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Green OVA is all I know

Main Attrakionz's rise to prominence is a hazy, yet heartwarming story. Squadda B and MondreM.A.N. cut their teeth in Oakland California (AKA San Francisco's drunk and disorderly roommate) releasing a mass of cloud rap tracks that was only eclipsed by Lil B's freak output. Listening to Main Attrakionz was like being a teenager and hanging out with your friend: it's chill, it's a good time like 75% of the time, but occasionally said friends would peer pressure you into smoking weed and your mom would get pissed. Fortunately with 808s & Dark Grapes III, Main Attrakionz are mature adults making less hazy, more grown up music that is 100% mom approved.

Much of MA's lyrical content in the past dealt with personal and social struggles, and the pressures that come with being on the border of good and evil. On Dark Grapes III, Main Attrakionz stand firmly on the side of good as the lyrics and flow are much more optimistic and confident. The music (produced entirely by Friendzone) certainly reflects this change, as its clear and full sound is like a beam of light piercing through the hazy vibe MA used to display. Squadda B and MondreM.A.N. no longer sound amateur and thus no longer need their vocals to hang back in the mix. This change allows the production to be bright and bombastic resulting in a summer approved vibe that permeates the mix. Friendzone are no longer the main attraction as Squadda B and MondreM.A.N.'s vast improvement result in an album that is as strong vocally as it is musically.

808s & Dark Grapes III isn't a game-changer, it isn't even cloud rap, but it's 12 tracks of all killer no filler and a blissful soundtrack to summer and all things good.

Bring Me The Horizon AmoAlkaline Trio Is This Thing Cursed?
Mark Kozelek Mark KozelekDr. Octagon Moosebumps
Blessthefall Hard FeelingsMoose Blood I Don't Think I Can Do This Anymore

808s and Dark Grapes II

Not my 100th review, I've had a couple deleted

good album

July 2nd 2015

good shit rob. been waiting a while for this one, glad to hear it's good

PappyMason
July 2nd 2015

Yeah but still, it's your current 100th review so congrats.

Review needs a tiny tidy up, like you've spelt Main Attrakionz wrong twice in the first paragraph, and there is a stray coma by the colon.

This was a decent listen for me, but didn't really make much of an impression (unfortunately). Still, there's plenty of time for that.

Thanks fellas

Fuck I always think there's a T in Main Attrakionz

July 2nd 2015

I don't really think there is much to say tbh

Wadlez

I just get dey money.

July 2nd 2015

I don't really care either tbh this might be my last

July 2nd 2015

I've been screenwriting more full time now and that's the writing I actually want to do and I just have no interest in describing songs and shit anymore

I'll probably only write a review if I really have something to say about an album, like more than just hey this is good I like it or hey this is bad I don't like it

Also Potsy shitting on my personal reviews kind of got to me I don't know I'm just not as comfortable bearing my soul on here anymore

July 2nd 2015

get a tumblr or a diary then

Digging: Amon Tobin - Fear In A Handful Of Dust

July 2nd 2015

the "getting caught by your mom smoking weed with ur budz" analogy takes up like 45% of the review and is also whack af

second paragraph is better

Tunaboy45

Ooh

impoppy
July 2nd 2015

Didn't find out about him til this album but this is really good stuff.

Pajolero
July 2nd 2015

Treb's doing a hip-hop review whaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Digging: Malibu Ken - Malibu Ken

dimsim3478
July 2nd 2015

fuck thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat who cares if your lame personal writing is good or not, just post it here anyway if you think it's good

Treb's doing a hip-hop review whaaaaaaaaaaaat.

Treb's known quite well for his affinity for hip hop, especially meme rap

Treb's known quite well for his affinity for hip hop, especially meme rap

tha fuck are u on about

impoppy

wut wut?

July 3rd 2015

If I quit writing every time someone bitched about me bearing my soul on Sputnik I wouldn't have made it past 2010. Just move along and tune out the negative voices.

Digging: Copeland - Blushing

friendzone yurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp

Digging: Nivhek - After Its own Death/ Walking in a Spiral

Calc
July 3rd 2015

review and album are no good honestly. I'll come out and say it.