Barenaked Ladies
Silverball

1.0
awful

by TheMoonchild USER (128 Reviews)
June 7th, 2015 | 24 replies

Release Date: 06/02/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Thin air in music form.

Who here even listens to Barenaked Ladies anymore" Sure, there's something to be said for a band sticking around when arguably the band's most revered member leaves, but since Steven Page's departure, Barenaked Ladies have become nothing more than a vanity project called The Ed Robertson Show. Their 2010 album All In Good Time was full of nothing but unsubtle and unnecessary shots at Page, and while 2013's Grinning Streak was a slight improvement and had some decent tunes, it didn't do much tp prove anyone who thought that Barenaked Ladies are Barenaked Ladies in name only without Page wrong. Well, here we are in 2015. Apparently, a new Barenaked Ladies album is something that exists in 2015, it's called Silverball, bears an album cover as cringeworthy as its name, and features more bland and forgettable tracks that only serve to expand Robertson's already embellished Ego.

The worst thing about Silverball is that it's just bland, boring and forgettable. It's an album with mostly mid-tempo, 3-minute pseudo-rockers that mostly sound the same, lack anything resembling hooks or catchiness and even worse, go right in one ear and out the other. It's bad enough that we already have three albums that prove that Ed Robertson lacks the required command and strength to lead the band all on his own, but combine that with complete blandness in all sense of the word, lack of memorable music, and the stink of a band stuck even further in an identity crisis, and you have an album so vapid and disconnected that it may as well be thin air in music form. There are a few attempts to spice things up and bring some former glory here- the opening riff to "Hold My Hand" certainly comes to mind, as it probably wouldn't have been out of place on Maroon, but they're all far and in between, and you'll most likely forget you've even heard them as soon as they've even finished.

And you've probably noticed that already, we've gotten this far into the review without mentoning any of the songs, save for a single measly riff. Well, that's because they're all so bland and lacking anything resembling catchiness or memorability that they just blend into each other at once, and may as well cease to even exist. Silverball is merely a collection of "grab the money and run" chart hopefuls that don't even have the power or the ability to become anything other than such. At this point, it's unclear if even Mr. Page returning to the band could help restore order, but at least his trademark harmonizing with Robertson would give the songs something worth shouting about.

The Raven Age Darkness Will RiseGeorge Michael Older
Metallica Hardwired... to Self-DestructAvenged Sevenfold The Stage
The Mars Volta Frances the MuteIron Maiden Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

June 6th 2015

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a frontrunner for "Most forgettable album of 2015".

Supercoolguy64
June 6th 2015

lol forgot that these guys existed, nice rev too, posd

Digging: Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops

June 6th 2015

Honestly me too. Until I was flipping channels one day and saw this album promoted on a talk show.

Snake.
June 6th 2015

most overrated band in existence

June 6th 2015

I dunno if they're even highly regarded enough to be considered overrated.

deathschool
June 6th 2015

Um, Stunt rules. Watch your mouth, wicked snake.

Digging: The Spirit Of The Beehive - Pleasure Suck

oisincoleman64

Stunt is mediocre

Stunt is pretty good.

Nothing will beat Gordon, though Maroon and the Are Me albums come close.

someguest

more like cunts

Digging: Earth - Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version

psandy
June 6th 2015

Man i fucking hate these guys. Super tasteful artwork.

June 6th 2015

Their album covers have never been particularly great, but this looks like the debut album of a fucking cruise ship tribute band.

undertakerpt
June 7th 2015

Gordon is class, stunt is pretty good too. Maybe you should drive is my fave.

pacedown
June 7th 2015

'Who here even listens to Barenaked Ladies anymore?'

I do..

weird question.
true average start for a review full of hatred.. if you'd just write 'i hate this record!' and close the case, it'd be fair. smoke a cigarette before you start writing,

too much hate in this review..

Snake.

^ lol

Mort.
June 7th 2015

yeah tbh in levels of hate this is quite low, he just thinks its bad and explains why

hate would be a lot more vitriolic

Digging: Jeremy Soule - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Soundtrack

June 7th 2015

Well if you're a reviewer, explaining why an album is bad is more professional than "I H8 DIS WURST ALBUM EVAARRR LULZ".

psandy
June 7th 2015

moonchild smoke a goddamn cigarette so that your opinions align with his. he doesn't like your opinion and you should therefore change it.

AndreBourbeau