Sworn In
The Lovers / The Devil

by Gameofmetal STAFF
April 14th, 2015 | 21 replies

Release Date: 04/07/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One foot forward........just a bit too far for the band's own good.

There was something oddly lovable about the angst and pure rage of Sworn In’s debut record The Death Card. Sure, it was easy to find faults with their style. The lyricism was juvenile in its angst, rife with unneeded profanity, the vocals were certainly an acquired taste, and the music incorporated shades of nu metal with the deathcore. Yet there was something about how unbridled and angry it was that attracted. Songs like “Hypocrisy” and “Snake Eyes” were just too much fun, once you got past some of the band’s more abrasive characteristics. On the band’s follow-up, The Lovers/The Devil, it somehow both harnesses that and loses it in places.

There’s a sense of duality to the album, evident in the album title, and it comes through in a couple of distinct aspects. The more up front of the two is the newfound variation in vocal styles. Besides the tortured snarls and screams of old, the band has begun to experiment with a variety of cleanly sung choruses. It becomes their own take on the classic metalcore “beauty and the beast” style vocals. The other method that a sense of duality comes through is in the level of growth and experimentation found here. The Lover/The Devil turns out to be about halfway stuck in the mud and halfway advancing forward determinably. It features both their most adventurous songs and their most stale. Most remarkably of all, it just seems like the latter is more interesting than the former.

The strange melodies of “I Don’t Really Love You” are interesting for a time, but just isn’t as fun as the depraved heaviness of “Oliolioxinfree”. The schizophrenic nu metal-meets-deathcore of “Sunshine” outshines the laughable singing of “Pocket Full of Posies”. It proves to make The Lover/The Devil into a mixed bag in terms of enjoyment. The band's performance is acceptable and there are highlights, but the songwriting is really what brings the album to less than it could be.

Morbid Angel Kingdoms DisdainedForteresse Thèmes pour la Rébellion
Battle Dagorath II - Frozen Light of Eternal DarknessWolves in the Throne Room Thrice Woven
Dayseeker Dreaming is Sinking /// Waking is RisingThe Acacia Strain Gravebloom
2.7

April 14th 2015

Found this surprisingly hard to write about. Took me a while to figure out where I stood on this. Feedback appreciated, as always.

ReAnimator
April 14th 2015

I agree with everything you say. Found this really frustrating. One little thing though: it's "I Don't Really Love You"

April 14th 2015

Holy shit, I was totally thinking of the song by real friends when I typed that in. lol

Nocturnalize
April 14th 2015

Sweet review man your reviews are always so easy to read yet not to simplistic

I pretty much agree with everything you said as well, very disappointing album that I saw coming from a mile away

Aftertheascension
April 14th 2015

Never could get through a song by these guys

April 14th 2015

"Sweet review man your reviews are always so easy to read yet not to simplistic"

I've really been fond of short reviews. Two to three paragraphs are easy to churn out and there's a lot of good to be said for concise writing. Thanks for the positive feedback.

FitToSwing
April 14th 2015

"Never could get through a song by these guys"

My sentiments exactly Aftertheascnesion.

cryptside

Nice work, game. One thing:
" The band performance is acceptable and there are highlights, but the songwriting is really what brings the album to less than it could be."
-band's, perhaps? Might be reading it wrong though.

April 14th 2015

I think I meant "band's". Thanks for catching that.

cryptside
April 14th 2015

No worries, you've really grown exponentially with your reviewing.

April 14th 2015

Pretty words there, I think I might blush.

SnakeDelilah

19999 Comments

band has the most laughable DP i've ever seen

Digging: Glassjaw - Material Control

April 14th 2015

I can't even look at the pictures of the band members because they look so ridiculous.

paradox1216
April 15th 2015

"Yet there was something about how unbridled and angry it was that attracted."

it might just be me, but something about ending on "attracted" just sounds super awkward. maybe reword to like "that pulls one in" I don't think there's anything grammatically wrong with the way you do it, I just think it reads weird haha

Great review, I can't stand this band though, man, they're just terrible

KenboSlice
April 15th 2015

How many "BLEGHS" does this album have?

Aftertheascension

thirteen

ReAnimator

From "Lay With Me":

"Chewed up and out, I was spat

BLEGH BLEGH

I'm just a bad taste"

April 15th 2015

I might just stick with it the way it is paradox. Idk, just don't see anything wrong with it but thanks for the feedback and suggestion.

Memoryplague
May 18th 2015

i have really weird mixed emotions about this, i feel like i should hate it, but i kind of don't

alienobserver