Kanye West
Yeezus

by wtferrothorn USER (36 Reviews)
April 10th, 2015 | 55 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Chapter 6: Alienation Of A Fanbase

It must be hard to be a superstar. Sure, you got the money and the fans, but what do you sacrifice? Your artistic credibility. For the most part, as soon as music executives see that you’re making something that sells, they want you to continue doing that one thing. This sadly kills any chance at experimentation, and you become less of an artist and more of a product. Even when a mainstream act tries something new, it’ll not only be quickly be labeled as a pathetic attempt at an artistic statement, but also leaves diehard fans wondering what happened to their favorite artist. You’re gonna have to really dig deep to even come close to having your work be considered a true artistic statement, which is exactly what happens here with Yeezus.

The opening track “On Sight”, while being one of the weaker tracks, was the perfect way to introduce the album. It quickly sets the mood of the album: it’s aggressive, arrogant, and doesn’t hold back. Yeezus is basically the anti-College Dropout. While Dropout had a smooth, soul inspired sound that gave it a very down to earth feel, Yeezus is full of jagged, abrasive electronic beats inspired by industrial music and samples of obscure 60’s Welsh prog rock bands. Even the final track “Bound 2”, which is supposed to be a throwback to Kanye’s earlier work, is surreal in a way. The unconventional song structure and the constant repeating of the line“Uh-huh honey” brings something new to the table, which is what makes Yeezus so great sonically. The fact that the biggest artists on the planet experimented with an unconventional style like what we see here is impressive enough. What makes it better is that he pulls it off fantastically. Tracks like “I’m In It” take advantage of the album’s minimalistic style by presenting us with some raw, droning synths (not to mention a haunting bridge sung by Justin Vernon of Bon Iver fame). However, the production truly reaches its peak when other instruments are added to the mix. The horns in “Blood On The Leaves” adds a certain intensity to the track and the pounding drums in “Black Skinhead” make it an absolute banger. There are, however, a couple experiments that fail. The screams in “I Am A God” fail to evoke intensity and just ends up being annoying, and the autotune breakdown in “Blood On The Leaves” is far from being the new “Runaway”. But thankfully, when Kanye decided to step WAY outside the box, he was still able to keep his footing.

To fit with the darker production style, Yeezus contains some of the most aggressive, provocative, raw lyrics West has ever brought us, and yet they’re the weak point of the album. Don’t get me wrong; there are times on this album where the lyrics truly shine. “Hold My Liquor” paints a picture of an alcohol-charged relationship that could crumble at any moment and 2nd verse of “Blood On The Leaves” tells of a pregnancy story that honestly feels soul-crushingly real. However, the lyrical climax is “New Slaves”, an album highlight. On this track, West compares the way slaves of old were forced to devote their lives to serving their masters to black kids today being manipulated to devote their lives and money to designer clothes and fancy cars. However, how are we supposed to take Yeezus seriously when lines like,

“Eatin’ Asian pussy/ all I need was sweet and sour sauce”

are sprinkled throughout the album? Some people may excuse them as just jokes, but if Kanye is aiming for a darker feel on Yeezus, he needs to take these topics seriously. However, I have to admit, some of those lines deliver a laugh or two. “I am a god/ hurry up with my damn massage/ In a French-ass restaurant/ Hurry up with my damn croissant!” Is a personal fave of mine.

I guarantee you that nobody expected Kanye’s album that followed the critically acclaimed My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy would be as messy, raw, and experimental as Yeezus was. In fact, I feel like a good comparison would be to The Beatles’ White Album. After Sgt. Pepper’s, a tight, slick album that received almost unanimous acclaim, they released the White Album, the polar opposite of Sgt. Pepper’s: overlong, experimental, mixed bag of pure madness. Then again, it only makes sense for a man who believes himself to be a god to follow in the footsteps of someone who said they were bigger than Jesus. Don’t stop being you Kanye, you’re at your best when you are.

Vagabon Infinite WorldsBruno Mars 24K Magic
NxWorries Yes Lawd!Bon Iver 22, A Million
Kishi Bashi SonderlustGlass Animals How To Be A Human Being

Funeralopolis

Probably his best album

Digging: Kate Bush - The Sensual World

Storm In A Teacup
April 10th 2015

you know it might take a 5-7 more years before he can make something that will be widely considered a classic like at least My Dark Fantasy but I think he's earned that many years of just experimenting with music releases in order to make amazing classic music.

SaneTBP

Should check this

Storm In A Teacup

Everyone should.

April 10th 2015

While it may not be his best, I'd put this behind MBDTF, CD, and LR, it's easily his most intriguing release.

SharkTooth
April 10th 2015

most interesting definitely, but what really hurts the album imo are the dumb lyrics as you mentioned in your review, don't mind the beats all that much tbh

Tunaboy45
April 10th 2015

"we get this bitch shakin like parkinson's"

Great lyricism Kanye

Stay classy, yeezus

Tunaboy45
April 10th 2015

That line about asian pussy instantly made me think of Asian Hooker haha, surely he didn't expect people to take it seriously.

April 10th 2015

Yeah, there are tons of lolbad lines in here. But when he gets it right, he hits it out of the park (ex. New Slaves)

April 10th 2015

Well duh. It was made by Yeezus Christ himself.

April 10th 2015

yeah I always thought this album had some great stand out tracks, but the rest was difficult to listen to

SharkTooth
April 10th 2015

his least consistent release by far

April 10th 2015

mbdtf is inconsistent too tbh, but I know that's not a popular opinion around here

April 10th 2015

That Assassin fellow sure has made it big in the past couple years. He appeared here, then upgraded to TPAB

his features are fire

April 10th 2015

this album is outstanding. i hated it for the longest time until i really dug deep. i think it was will who compared it to the downward spiral and he got it exactly right.

April 10th 2015

good review btw. i especially like your last paragraph (mostly because i've found myself drawing the same comparison :P)

CapnJizz
April 10th 2015

Hurry up with my damn croissants

Ryus
April 10th 2015

dude you can fucking wait a little bit longer jesus christ it's only been like five minutes calm down