Dance Gavin Dance

by Trebor. STAFF
April 9th, 2015 | 619 replies

Release Date: 04/14/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Admitting is the first step

I was ready to write this album off well before it came out. Acceptance Speech was a major disappointment, I really don't like Tillian's voice, and I'm an adult who does taxes and lives with his girlfriend - like what business do I have listening to music I loved freshman year of high school when I had long hair, a wardrobe full of Hot Topic tees, a virginity, and wrote run-on sentences worse than this one" Well, to quote the sweeter than sin "Death of a Strawberry," sometimes you "just want to be a kid again."

There's always been something deeply innocent about Dance Gavin Dance, even on their self titled album when they haphazardly threw in all those "fucks" into the lyrics - an overwhelming sense of joy and love for the music came out of those records. As a renowned online music elitist, it's easy to write off Dance Gavin Dance because they make "Fast Food Post-Hardcore," but their music is delicious and fun, they're one of the best bands in said subgenre, and more than anything, sometimes it's OK to indulge in the simple pleasures. I'd be lying if I said the chorus to "Variation" wasn't catchy beyond belief, or that I can easily resist air-drumming along to "The Cuddler," or that "Shark Dad" didn't make me care about guitar again. DGD are as fun and consistent as ever on Instant Gratification, and I feel safe in admitting I feel pretty damn good when I listen to it.

One misstep (Acceptance Speech) caused me to grow cynical beyond my years about Dance Gavin Dance, and I wholeheartedly regret not getting all aboard the hype train for Instant Gratification like I did back in '08 when I listened to DGD's new singles on Myspace. To be fair I'll probably never enjoy a new Dance Gavin Dance record as much as I did back in the mid to late 2000s, but Instant Gratification is solid enough, and fresh enough to knock the cynicism right out of me - and believe it or not, Tillian's vocals grew on me.

American Football American Football (LP3)Hotel Books I'll Leave the Light On Just In Case
Bring Me The Horizon AmoAlkaline Trio Is This Thing Cursed?
Mark Kozelek Mark KozelekDr. Octagon Moosebumps
paradox1216 EMERITUS (4)
Instant Gratification lives up to its name, and adds a bit more gratification every time you hit the...

cmaitland421 (4)
Dance Gavin Dance's return to form is perhaps their strongest release to-date....

beachdude (4.5)
I got a feeling that we're here to stay…...

SweeneyTodd (4.5)
Instantly gratified!...

sup

Digging: Venom Prison - Samsara

Slut
April 9th 2015

Great review I agree with all of this so hard and I've accepted it a long time ago

Slut
April 9th 2015

Guitar tone on shark dad is really cool and I want to know how to do that

FearThyEvil
April 9th 2015

On the Run and Eagles vs. Crows are awful but most of this is actually pretty damn good and I'm not really a fan of this band.

On The Run is one of my favorites

Gameofmetal
April 9th 2015

I'm digging the review, nice job.

"a wardrobe full of Hot Topic tees, a virginity, and wrote run-on sentences worse than this one?"

this cracked me up pretty hard

OwMySnauze

1928 Comments

Great write up Trebor. Extremely fun album.

April 9th 2015

Spot on Review. I would agree, Dance Gavin Dance isn't what it used to be, but still holds as a band that we liked when we were younger, but I we will still keep on listening to them, because it's Dance Gavin Dance, and dang is this new album dang catchy.

April 9th 2015

Spot on Review. I would agree, Dance Gavin Dance isn't what it used to be, but still holds as a band that we liked when we were younger, but we will still keep on listening to them, because it's Dance Gavin Dance. Dang is this new album catchy.

Thanks guys!

Angelboros
April 9th 2015

"but they're music is delicious and fun"

Replace 'they're' with 'their'. Aside from that, excellent review, Treb. Have a mind pos.

April 9th 2015

Shark Dad is the pinnacle of this album.

oisincoleman64
April 9th 2015

Been interesested in checking out this group, would this be a good place to start

April 9th 2015

Oisincoleman64^ start at Downtown Battle Mountain(The first album), and from their it doesn't matter.

Thanks Angelboros

RealityBoost
April 9th 2015

Nice review! I'm really digging this album, so much fun!

Mort.

Sweet review man

Digging: Xiu Xiu - Plays The Music Of Twin Peaks

mazalthan
April 9th 2015

I dig this review, thank you for providing a fair outlook on the album itself upon giving it a couple listen throughs. This genuinely feels like some of DGD's best work since DBM1 in my eyes. The recommended by reviewer are interesting though LOL.

Toondude10