Galar
De Gjenlevende

by Atari STAFF
March 26th, 2015 | 94 replies

Release Date: 03/16/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An epic tale told via the deepest depths of atmospheric black metal

During a year in which very few metal bands have managed to excite me, Norway’s Galar stand tall and triumphantly as one of the rare exceptions. The reason is no mystery --their latest effort through Dark Essence Records resembles just about everything I love in modern black metal, from the serene folk passages to the crushing riffs, and everything in between. Yet, every time I hear the album, something new and profound is revealed to me. Undoubtedly, that’s the charm of Galar; they’re instantly likeable, but there’s much more than meets the eye.

Although there are only six tracks on De Gjenlevende, most of them are nothing short of monolithic, as they near the 10-minute mark without a dull moment. Upon repeated listens, the classical influences really begin to stand out in a special way, and add notable depth to the experience. Some prime examples would be the ominous piano build-up in ‘Bokens hymne’ or the use of brass in the groovy instrumental track ‘Ljos.’ These elements give Galar a more varied sound, but they’re also used sparingly, which supports the steady momentum of the record. However, for those who prefer an onslaught of heavy riffs and pummeling drums, there’s still plenty of material here that threatens to flatten the listener to the ground. The final two tracks are especially intense, as the roaring guitars and high-octane screams leave nothing in their path but rubble.

Forget the fact that you may not understand a single word that is yelled, chanted, or shrieked on Galar’s newest creation; the music speaks for itself. Thanks to a horn quartet, and a wide array of instruments from strings to accordions, De Gjenlevende is symphonic black metal at its finest. The carefully placed instrumentation tells a story of epic proportions, and it begins the moment the somber guitars morph into a giant wall of sound during the album's first few breaths. Few bands are able to retain such depth to their music while remaining accessible from the get-go, but Galar prove there are more than a few tricks up their sleeve on their latest venture. Don’t be surprised if you keep coming back to this one, if only to continue digging for hidden treasure. I can assure you, there’s something significant buried deep within every track.

Circuit Des Yeux Reaching For IndigoNadia Reid Preservation
Phoebe Bridgers Stranger in the AlpsSannhet So Numb
The Lurking Fear Out Of The Voiceless GraveNeun Welten The Sea I'm Diving In

March 26th 2015

a big thanks to johnnyonthespot, arcade, and EO for the proofread. easily my favorite metal release for 2015 so far and just keeps getting better. the whole thing is on spotify for those who are interested.

Digging: Langhorne Slim - Lost At Last, Vol 1

ExcentrifugalForz

must
get
record

emester
March 26th 2015

Listening right now. I find it pretty cool so far.

ExplosiveOranges
March 26th 2015

I hear the album something

Throw in a comma after "album".

monolithic as they

Throw in a comma after "monolithic".

way and add

Throw in a comma after "way".

sparingly which

Throw in a comma after "sparingly".

Other than that, review is A+/5.

Metalstyles
March 26th 2015

Good job Atari, I'm so glad this got a review. Album is one of the best I've heard this year for sure. Review is short and sweet.

March 26th 2015

@EO, thanks for the proofread man. I'll definitely throw in some more commas

@Metalstyles, glad you liked the review! I realized as I was writing it I had nothing at all to complain about so bumped my score to 4.5. If there's anything you think i should add or change don't be shy either.

@emester, it just gets better with more listens dude

@excen, atta boy. hope you dig

Metalstyles
March 26th 2015

I don't think you should change anything that you have written, and as for adding, the review isn't very long, so if you feel like you could add something/something hits you upon further listens, you can integrate that into the text you already have in place, but the review works as it is as well.

SharkTooth
March 26th 2015

great album, I was worried that nobody would review it for a bit

March 26th 2015

I really dug Skogskvad but I checked their second and it wasn't nearly as good. Just missing the feels and melodies ov trvth ya know. But maybe I'll like this but the cover screams of clean production which I don't like in this genre of music butt hey I'll give her a trizzy try.

Great revy btw

Hawks

51942 Comments

This sounds great.

Digging: Swallow the Sun - The Morning Never Came

Calc
March 27th 2015

when you say this is a stubborn exception it implies that you're trying not to like metal this year. if that's the case than cool but if not that's how it reads.

ComeToDaddy

Sounds sweet

Spec
March 27th 2015

This is pretty awesome so far.

Galar
March 27th 2015

Cheers for an excellent review!

Marius / Galar

Nagash

Phenomenal

March 27th 2015

Nice write-up man and congrats on the feature.

Digging: Brand New - Science Fiction

cryptside
March 27th 2015

Very nice review, Aaron. I need to check this one, it sounds fantastic.

BigTuna
March 27th 2015

Thanks for this review! Definitely going to check this out now.

Digging: Big K.R.I.T. - 4eva Is a Mighty Long Time

DungeonBoy
March 27th 2015

Nice review, I really enjoyed Til Alle Heimsens Endar, so i'll have to check this out.

Digging: Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper

dandezebra
March 27th 2015

This is indeed a really good album. Nice review also!