Cancer Bats
Searching for Zero

by Jordan M. STAFF
March 12th, 2015 | 18 replies

Release Date: 03/09/2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Consistent and Predictable.

As cliched as it is, it's worth mentioning that even when Cancer Bats are making perfunctory albums, they still outshine their peers. Aside from their well-planned aesthetics- the relentless level of touring, the preference for disposable venues, the breathing space between releases- Cancer Bats succeed in that they're simply far better songwriters than the likes of Hatebreed or Underoath. Seemingly taking cues from Converge's All We Love We Leave Behind in the tempo department, Searching for Zero sees Cancer Bats significantly slow down the pace to make room for droning riff-based passages. Ross Robinson's fetish for drop tuning favours this pronounced appreciation of sludge. It's always been omnipresent, now dragged into the limelight to bask in the crusading damnation of centerpiece, "Beelzebub". Anthemic choruses and crowd satiating chugs blanket album opener "Satellites", serving nothing more than to appeal to the Cancer Bats fan left cold by the doom-laden trudge of "Buds" and "Devil's Blood" that define Searching for Zero. Of course, this is a Cancer Bats record, so postulating that it's therefore a reliable album is reasonable; implying it perfects thrashing hardcore like Hail Destroyer did is just pure fucking madness. Searching for Zero is consistent if not predictable listening.

Sheck Wes MudboyTravis Scott Astroworld
Denzel Curry TA13OOPusha T DAYTONA
Post Malone beerbongs and bentleysJ. Cole K.O.D.
3.2
good
Simon STAFF (4.5)
Think punk is dead? Cancer Bats prove otherwise....

ComeToDaddy
March 11th 2015

I still haven't gotten around to spinning this, but predictability has never been a real issue for me so I'm looking forward to it this evening. Short sharp review, great work

i predict a .25/5

Digging: Edyth - Bare II

March 11th 2015

Sweet review. Will check this, eventually maybe.

DustyBows
March 12th 2015

I don't really think that this album was predictable whatsoever.

danielcardoso
March 12th 2015

"It's always been omnipresent, now dragged into the limelight to bask in the crusading damnation of centerpiece, "Beelzebub"."

That one sentence reads very strangely for me. Besides, it's a great and short review man. Cheers.

Tunaboy45
March 12th 2015

Maybe I'll give it a listen.

March 12th 2015

far better songwriters than the likes of Hatebreed or Underoath.

TOUGH COMPETITION LOL

but honestly underoath sucks dick and they are still better songwriters than this terrible band

March 12th 2015

hatebreed tho yeah those guys are bottom of the barrel, these guys just scrape it

Pajolero
March 12th 2015

Hatebreed rules, you guys cray.
On topic, this sounds like a fun listen which pretty much all I expect from these guys.

March 12th 2015

cancer bats is probably the worst thing to happen to 'hardcore' imo

JWT155
March 12th 2015

The absolute worst? I can imagine an endless list of Hot Topic bands that think their hardcore and edgy that are far worse...

March 12th 2015

cancer bats is a hot topic band that thinks *they're* hardcore and edgy tho

24gadjet
March 15th 2015

Soooooo... should I listen to it?

March 15th 2015

The production on this sounds like it was mixed by like ten different people.

March 15th 2015

Yeah, this is pretty bad.

It's like a weird mix of Avenged Sevenfold and Trophy Scars and something else I can't quite put my finger on, it's an outdated classic rock element. For a band that seems to be trying their hardest to sound different, it feels like their isn't one original idea on this album.

whollyghost
March 17th 2015

Not a fan of this after my first listen and I enjoyed a lot about the last record. Still would love to see this band live though.

TomAkaVeto
July 7th 2016

1957 Comments

Hah, to say that Cancer Bats is a better band than Underoath is ridiculous and a pointless comparison to make. They're much closer to ETID, but they're not as good as them either. That said, I like Cancer Bats, but most of their stuff sounds pretty samey and they never seem to step outside their comfort zone.

Spec
July 7th 2016

what the fuck is going on in here