Crypt Sermon
Out of the Garden

by rockandmetaljunkie CONTRIBUTOR (43 Reviews)
March 11th, 2015 | 58 replies

Release Date: 2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Majestic, heavenly music brought to you be the disciples of Candlemass and S. Aeturnus.

I think that people are finally just getting sick of the myriad of Sleep and Electric Wizard clones that have been at the forefront over the last few years. I certainly know that I am, and Crypt Sermon was basically started as a reaction to all of that. - Steve Jansson

There is a truth in what Jansson so admittedly confess. Sleep and Electric Wizard paved a new way for Doom Metal and revolutionized the style. But they also spawned a dozen of imitators who buried with their sludgy dirge all the principals that bands such as Trouble, Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus stood for. Nowadays, Doom Metal is mostly preserved by hybrids like Death/Doom, Stoner/Doom, Drone/Doom and cheap digital effects. An extensive coverage of the genre’s most brutal side appears to be the center of attention for an entirely new generation of metalheads. The sludgy drones seem to have taken over the scenery and represent what Doom Metal is all about at the moment. The guys from Crypt Sermon, who are obviously tired of the same old trends-n-treats, are on a mission. The task is to restore the old-school genre of Epic Doom back to its magnificent former glory and become a beacon to every band that wants to follow. Their aim is to glorify a style of the genre that today remains mostly neglected by their peers. Their guidebook is the traditional sounds of a more melodic era in Metal music. Are they up to the task? Only time will tell. One thing is certain; their debut is a sign of great things to come.

This album came as a complete surprise to me. As a fan of the genre, I’m always searching for new bands that aspire to become the new crossbearers, and are willing to follow the trail of tears their forerunners left behind them. But Epic Doom, as a style of music and a movement, is too damn fickle. We barely have any worthwhile new releases and bands including Isole, While Heaven wept, and Doomsword to name a few, while quite promising, they do not seem capable of triggering a new explosion of Epic Doom Metal like Robert Lowe & Company did in the 90’s. Even powerhouse bands like Candlemass, S. Aeturnus and Solstice have not signed a contract with consistency and persistent quality. And from time to time I find myself going back to specific albums if I want to satiate my huge appetite for some good ol’ Epic Doom. I’m sure I’m not the only one who does that. I’m sure many fans prefer to find a shelter in older albums than digging too deep to unearth new bands, because it’s a safer route. And I don’t blame them. When it comes to their next spree, the devoted fans often exercise a dizzying amount of tenaciousness. That is exactly why albums like Out of the Garden are so timely essential. The last truly great album of this style that I've heard was Avatarium’s debut, which was by the way another Leif Edling project (oh what surprise!). It has been almost one year and a half since that album and in the meantime nothing extraordinary caught my attention. I’ve been a very patient man, hoping to feel that enthusiasm I felt when I heard Avatarium for the first time. And patience is not one of my virtues I’m afraid.

Crypt Sermon’s debut is exactly what a longtime fan of Classic Doom wants to hear; a treasure trove of unadulterated riffage that blends the power of classic American Doom with the European school. Although not exactly innovative, but still expertly crafted, Out of the Garden is an offering that stays true to the past values of the genre. Moreover, it preserves the aesthetics and the rawness that prototype albums such as Epicus Doomicus and Beyond the Crimson Horizon delivered decades ago. It is a vessel for those who want to travel back to the old days of the genre; the days when tags such as “retro” or “occult” Doom didn't even exist. Decoding the music of Crypt Sermon shouldn't be a problem for the initiated to Epic Doom. One can expect to hear an album stacked with layers of different sounds; some few folky, a la Blackmore’s Night passages, a medieval atmosphere that retains a sense of grandeur, big (and I mean really BIG), apocalyptic riffs with an oriental feel, bombastic drumming, and a truly moving mixture of gorgeous heaviness and gritty melody. With 7 songs and clocking at 43 minutes, the album flows perfectly, crafting an ideal soundtrack for those who need an intense introspection of their doomed-souls. It is also a great landscape if you’re searching for a place to get lost in isolated daydreaming. The production is another proof of the quintet’s professionalism. With a warm and natural sound, it enhances the already rich instrumentation and it’s not the kind of the over-compressed mix that causes ear bleeding.

Part time bassist/part time vocalist, Brooks Wilson was the band’s original bassist in the band’s 2013 demo, when he had a double role as a bassist and a singer. Wilson apparently wasn't satisfied with his time-consuming schedule so he dropped his bass duties and concentrated solely on singing. The results speak for themselves. With his commanding presence, Wilson channels a lot emotion, but there’s also a vague sense of malice and despair in his vocals. He sounds a lot like Dio in some parts (check the obvious reference of the “fool Fool” section in the first track), but mainly, his vocals sound to me as a combination of Robert Lowe’s high range screams and Eric Wagner’s low, gruff preaching.

Consisted of musicians from varied metal backgrounds, Crypt Sermon is clearly the type of band who has done its homework and wisely transferred the results to the tape, thus creating the right mix of reverence and creativity. The final product is an album handled with care, respect and precision. The band’s biggest advantage is that they know their place and their origins. Their self-awareness helps them to avoid wearing their influences on their sleeves like teenagers who wear t-shirts of their favorite band. But what they also know is how much love and affection they feed for the creators of this music. And just as Black Sabbath taught Candlemass how to become Candlemass, Crypt Sermon is doing exactly the same thing; paying homage without trying directly to imitate. They take the same combination of riffs, solos, and soaring vocals and turn them to something that sounds familiar but not a copycat. How they do that? By simply absorbing their influences and use them to tailor the effects to their skills.

The flaws of this album are very few. First off, there’s a slight lack of delineation between some tracks, which means the energy fades as the album progresses. Secondly, there are some parts in this record where the production team forgets to prioritize, which leads to an equalization of every instrument along with the vocals, to the maximum. This results to some moments of minor discomfort, but it’s not a big issue. I can assure you, Out Of the Garden deserves a second listen and it’s more than a museum exhibit.

All in all, this is a nicely varied Epic Doom Metal offering, guarantee to please the fans of old school (and not only). Crypt Sermon have created a cornucopia of memorable Metal, fresh as it gets, raising the bar for future releases, but also inviting all the newcomers to join in. Good luck to the competition.

Recommended Tracks:

Gary Moore Close As You GetDanny Elfman Batman Returns
Danny Elfman BatmanJohn Williams Superman
Pagan Altar Volume 1James Horner Braveheart
PsychicChris (4.5)
Overall, Crypt Sermon's debut has an excellent eye for detail and the solid songs keep their heads a...

March 11th 2015

Not one of my best reviews. Constructive criticism is most welcome.

March 11th 2015

Damn, another review that ended up quite long.

TalonsOfFire

19863 Comments

Massive review dude, and band rules. Pos

Digging: Cynic - Ascension Codes

toomuchtestosterone
March 11th 2015

Good review. I guess I'm part of that new school metalhead with my doom hybrids,but I'll definitely give this a. listen

album suuuuuuuckkkkss

super derivative and uninteresting classic doom worship with miserably insufferable vocals

MoosechriS
March 11th 2015

Cool review dude, still waiting to hear this. Hopefully my vinyl turns up at some point. The demo was awesome though, so im expecting good things

psyclonus
March 11th 2015

excellent album, very heavy Solitude Aeturnus vibe. probably the first release this year that I really like. good review!

Rastapunk
March 11th 2015

Yup, bought this when it came out! Awesome doom album!

Good rev by the way, have a pos!

manosg
March 11th 2015

This bad boy had won me the minute I saw its cover art. The music is great as well, somewhere around a 3.5-4 but I'll need to listen to it a couple of times before rating it.

Nice review too, pos.

Digging: Reinforcer - Prince of the Tribes

cryptside

Nice review man. One little thing I noticed:

"It is a vessel for those who want to travel back to the old days of the genre; the days when tags such as “retro” or “occult” Doom didn’t even existed. "

*exist

You do well explaining how this album pays homage to a classic doom sound without directly ripping it off. Nice work, pos.

tempest--

20634 Comments

Bought this a little while ago, still waiting for it to arrive. Sounds like it's gonna be rad.

anobsoletevernacular
March 11th 2015

Really dug this, I like the quote you opened up with too

Digging: Hayden Pedigo - Letting Go

ahh, those ghost negs

March 11th 2015

thanks for the comments guys

March 11th 2015

honestly really surprised how much everyone digs this

book

March 12th 2015

"honestly really surprised how much everyone digs this"

You will be surprised if you find out how many people are fans of the old school

Will you check it Cap ?

March 12th 2015

not at all. im just surprised at how many people are fans of shitty new school rip offs of classic old school doom bands

March 12th 2015

just as surprised as i am that people are fans of terrible modern australian prog bands that do terrible jobs of worshipping classic 70's prog bands

March 12th 2015

"just surprised at how many people are fans of shitty new school rip offs of classic old school doom bands"

To each his own. It's true that there are many shitty new bands out there that are just rip offs, but these guys are playing a respectful homage to those old school, classic bands. There's a difference.