">

Seether
Disclaimer II

by Shadows USER (89 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 110 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Seether emerged from South Africa in 1999 as one of the countries top rock bands ever. Originally named Saron Gas, the band decided to rename themselves 'Seether', as well as renaming their only album (Fragile), 'Disclaimer'. Though not one of the most popular bands currently, Seether is a hard-rocking quartet that has worked its *** off ever since they began their full-time music career outside if Africa. The three singles off the original Disclaimer were Fine again, Driven Under, and Gasoline, none of which would ever bring them much praise as a band. The song that brought them closer to the mainstreem was Broken feat. Amy Lee, formerly available only on the Punisher soundtrack.

Before we get to the music I feel this MUST be made clear: Disclaimer II is neither their first or second album. Sort of in between. After the unexpected success of Broken, the band decided to remake the original Discalimer by remastering the original twelve songs and adding eight more (meaning the original twelve sound different then they used to). The band has made it quite clear that Disclaimer II is everything they had hoped the original Disclaimer would be (although I'm betting they never planned on it being such an insanely long album). I think I've droned on long enough, so on to the music.

Gasoline - 5/5
This is one of Seether's hardest rocking songs. The lyrics relate primarily with the so-called "beauty queen" that most guys worship, yet they know nothing of her dark side, and in the end, end up becoming the one she targets her hate into after all their efforts. As the band's third single, the song did surprisingly poorly. With heavy distortion and a nice pace, this is one kick *** way to start an album.

69 Tea - 4.5/5
This time the band is in a sense mocking salvation. 69 Tea was the band's biggest success in Africa and is the reason they've become established. With "save me smiling Jesus, get off that cross", a line a which seems to define the entire song, this is the closest thing to anti-Christ Seether has ever gotton. But with a unique distorted guitar intro which soon leads into the powerful chorus, you'll soon get lost in the headbanging.

Fine Again - 5/5
Wow. All I can think to say is wow. This was the song that got me into Seether. As the band's first single ever, it has so far done the best (except for Broken), yet still sadly poor. Fine Again changed my perspective on modern music, as well as many aspects of my life. With a clean guitar intro that echos in a sad sort of way and a chorus that a person drowning in self anguish can easily relate to, this is one of the band's most moving songs.

Needles - 3/5
Sadly, somewhat of a step down from the previous three tracks. It's definitely not one of the most outstanding songs on the album, but it's another song with lyrics that one who feels smothered by others could easily relate to.

Driven Under - 4/5
I once heard someone (not sure who) say that this was a piece of lyrical garbage. How wrong he/she was. The lyrics are moving and deal strongly with one's problems with a loved one. This song did terrible as the band's second single, a fact which pains me every time I mention it. Although musically it is by far the easiest song to play on the album, the sadness it instills hits me everytime I listen.

Pride - 3/5
Similar to Needles (review wise), it's nothing special. The verses are creative, as are the instruments, backed up by a fairly decent chorus. But in the end, I would much prefer to listen to most other tracks on the album.

Sympathetic - 5/5
This song is almost as moving as Fine Again. The song begins with the lyrics, "And my words will be here when I'm gone", which, in a sense, sums up the bands goals as musicians. The chorus and bridge get to me every time I hear it, reminding me why Seether is my favorite band. Never EVER skip this track.

Your Bore - 5/5
Major double bass on this song. With a clean intro that sets an eerie mood for the song, much could be expected from Your Bore.
And then it delivers.
With a sort of background solo during the chorus that's eerie yet uplifting, this song is another that stands out on the album.

Fade Away - 1.5/5
Ich. Worst song on the album without a doubt. I like the bass intro, but the entire thing goes downhill after that. I hate to skip tracks on Discalimer II, but in this case I make an exception.

Pig - 3.5/5
Well, a huge sigh of relief after Fade Away. With strange noises (clean guitar or synthesizer?) in the background and short spurts of heavily distorted guitar, the song really starts to pick up after the guitars come in. Never really felt a need to skip this song; it's likable in a heavy rocking sort of way.

F*** It - 5/5
Just what one would hope for from a band like Seether. It's got everything: screeming, fast, heavily distorted guitars, and just large doses of pure rage. Don't let the odd intro fool you. After you hear the distortion on the guitars kick in, you'll get a nice big glimpse of Seether's metal side, and won't be disappointed.

Broken - 4/5
Nice and calm after the heaviness of F*** It. Clean guitars, good singing vocals, and lyrics that any heartbroken, lovesick person could relate to. A good reminder that this band rocks hard, yet has a nice much needed soft side. Keep in mind that this version is MUCH better then the one with Amy Lee (death to Evenessence).

Sold Me - 5/5
Previously available only on the Punisher soundtrack, Sold Me marks the beginning of the newly acquired eight tracks which provide the biggest incentive to go for Disclaimer II instead of the original. A heavy intro and a smooth chorus give the song a powerful, yet beautiful feel.

Cigarettes - 5/5
A completely kick *** song. The official website called Cigarettes a "striaghtahead rocker", which couldn't be more right. It also gives a good glimpse of Seether's talent at soloing (a very simple shred, but sounds great!). Cigarettes has unique guitar riffs and lyrics dealing with the stereotypical popular person that everybody follows, not to mention a solo that could convince a non-musical fan to pick up a guitar.

Love Her - 4/5
One of Seether's oldest songs, Love Her has a Red Hot Chili Peppers-esque guitar intro which leads into the lyrics that clearly deal with a woman who had sunk into prostitution. Not a bad song, but better ones lie up ahead.

Take Me Away - 4.5/5
These guys sure know how to do it acoustic style. Another demonstration of some of Seether's better lyrics are here, and the acoustic guitar adds to the feel of beauty in the music. The lyrics "I want you to stay, you take the pain away, I need you here to keep me sane" have stuck with me ever since I first heard them.

Got It Made - 3.5/5
Singer/songwriter Shaun Morgan was extremely inspired by Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, and the guitar intro intro shows it. The intro is reminiscent on Come As You Are, while the chorus is somewhat similar to Driven Under. Altogether, not a bad song.

Out of My Way - 3.5/5
Previously available only on the Freddy vs. Jason soundtrack, a song as heavy as this would seem to belong with a movie as horrific as F vs. J (or at least I think it's horrific; I've never seen it). In the beginning, it almost sounds as though Shaun has something wrong with his voice, but it kind of picks up later on.

Hang On - 5/5
Previously only available on the Daredevil soundtrack, this is another song that had a profound impact on me when I first heard it. The lyrics are beautiful, relating the the classic feeling of emptiness within one's self. This track is definitely motivation to go for D2 over the original.

Broken feat. Amy Lee - 0.000000000001/5
PLAYED TO DEATH. This has been the only song (band's fourth single) even remotely close to a success, which I find strangley disappointing. I hate Evenessence and really dislike Amy Lee, and can't stand the role she plays in the song. If you're trying to look into Seether's music, avoid this song like a f***ing plague.

So there you have it. Seether definitley took it up a notch from the original Disclaimer. The remastering of the original songs was quite an improvement, and most of the new eight tracks are awesome. A definite must-have for anyone who remotely likes rock music. Easily a perfect score (in my opinion, at least).

Recommended songs:

Opeth Blackwater ParkMirrorthrone Carriers of Dust
Cradle of Filth ThornographyTrivium The Crusade
Opeth DamnationBlind Guardian A Twist in the Myth

July 3rd 2004

This is one of the most derivative, unoriginal bands ever. They're the South African Puddle of Mudd in a world where the American Puddle of Mudd is bad enough. Teaming up with the Evanescence angst-queen has only made my opinion of them worse. Boo to this band, and may they never live on.

However, the review itself was quite solid and very detailed. Thank you for sharing.

Shadows
July 3rd 2004

Thanks for the feedback, even if it was a bit harsh.

I really appreciate the compliment though, as this is my first review.

The JoZ
July 3rd 2004

My brother loves Seether...

They aren't nearly as bad, IMO, as Yd makes them out to be...they have a raw, grungy sort of sound...and I think are 10 times better than POM can ever hope to be

mexicanfloydian
July 3rd 2004

I have disclaimer( the original ) and it was really good.
I haven't hear this one. Except for broken with amy lee, wtf it was way better w/o amy lee. She ruined a very cool song.

Tangy zizzle

Rubbish band really.

Quite a good review though. Nice work dude.

MxShredder
July 3rd 2004

I don't think they're that bad, although the only song I've really heard is Fine Again and the Broken with Amy Lee. I can't stand Broken but Fine Again is pretty good. As far as generic stereotypical modern rock goes, this is some of the best.

NickyHIMfan
July 3rd 2004

Meh, I love Broken with and without Amy Lee.

July 3rd 2004

The album kinda bored me. I heard the original when driving with my brother in Philly and the new tracks from this girl I went to high school with. The lyrics weren't great and the music wasn't interesting. Certainly not the worst (it's better than Puddle of Mudd), but nothing above average.

3/5

And if you're going to review something and give it a 5/5, it better be an essential album. This is from Sting-ray, as dictated by Kithkin:

* it has a 5/5 it had better be mindblowingly good. A must own... even outside of the genre. Something that could change the opinion of someone who didnt like the genre.
* A 4/5 would be Exceptional within the Genre. Something good for introducing someone to the genre but probably wouldnt change their mind about it.
* 3/5 would be something someone who likes the genre should probably pick up.
* 2/5 would be something someone who is diehard for the genre should at least know about.
* 1/5 terrible, terrible stuff..

This is the scale to follow when rating an album. Biased ratings are worthless.

Again, 3/5. Excellently structured review but definitely biased for whatever reason.

The JoZ
July 3rd 2004

Given that scale, I would give it a 4...because I think it's better than alot of other bands out there...but it most certainly is not a 5

This is why I think we really need a 10/10 scale, not just 5...5 is so limiting

July 3rd 2004

That's why Dewey invented the Decimal system.

[QUOTE=RollerQueen]That's why Dewey invented the Decimal system.[/QUOTE]

Sure, go give an album a 4.3456789. Isn't that original.

July 3rd 2004

[QUOTE=RollerQueen]Sorry I can't respond to that. My tongue is so far in my cheek that I have to go to the emergency room.

[/QUOTE]

Hah, what is that supposed to mean?

July 3rd 2004

LOL u r pwned sucaka ur sarcsam detektur is offf.

July 4th 2004

[QUOTE=YDload]LOL u r pwned sucaka ur sarcsam detektur is offf.[/QUOTE]
Learn how to spell, THEN try to flame me. Idiot. It's a shame, the education kids get nowadays.

July 4th 2004

Read the second post in this thread, and tell me if I know how to spell, or if I was just using Internet colloquialisms for the sake of satire.

July 4th 2004

Oh wow, your satire just amazes me. Go write a script and send it to Hollywood or smth.

July 4th 2004

My lame attempts at Internet satire don't even merit a reply. You were supposed to understand that I was just kidding when I used bad spelling to say that your were pwned, and move on. No more spam: this guy's really proud of his review, and he looks to be a good mxer once people stop looking at his post count.

Shadows

Thank You!!

I am rather proud of it, and I realize I am one of the few people in MX to really love Seether. All I ask is that you keep in mind that that this is merely my opinion, and try not to turn this into a flame-fest.

July 4th 2004

I apologize for sullying your thread with those last two posts of mine. You'll make a fine reviewer. :thumb: