Natalie Prass
Natalie Prass

by Pangea USER (7 Reviews)
February 23rd, 2015 | 4 replies

Release Date: 2015 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A solid, albeit boring debut from a talented singer-songwiter.

Most songs on Natalie Prass, the debut of singer-songerwriter Nathalie Prass, were already written a few years ago. With the help of producer, and old-school friend Matthew E. White these tracks eventually found their way into this record. His production polishes every track with horns and strings, which gives the album an authentic feel.

Even though the album deals mostly about breakups and broken hearts, Natalie Prass usually sings with a sweet, innocent voice. This is especially evident in the lovely closer “It Is You’’, which sounds like it’s been taken straight from an old Disney movie. This sweet voice not only adds to the authentic sound of the album, it also makes the listen feel very pleasant and light-hearted. Natalie Prass is full of ballads, but is at its best if the tracks get a little bit more upbeat, or at least with a memorable chorus. The best tracks: “My Baby Don’t Understand Me” and “Why Don’t You Believe In Me’’ are both catchy and immediate. The first of those two is a wonderful power ballad with its uplifting instrumentals (in the climax) and irresistible chorus.

Natalie Prass is a fairly consistent debut; there aren’t many flaws to be found. “Reprise’’, the only really bad song, is an unfitting combination of Prass’ talking voice and the instrumentals, making the song annoying. The lyrics of that said track are also an useless repetition of “Your Fool” lyrics. The main problem with the album is that it’s quite boring at times, “Violently’’ is the worst offender: it doesn’t offer nearly enough in its 5-and a half minute runtime.

Due its consistently lovely sound, Natalie Prass makes a pleasant listen. But despite its loveliness, this album unfortunately can’t wholly capture the listeners attention. It still can be an overall enjoyable listen, however.

Sharon Van Etten Are We ThereAgnes Obel Philharmonics
The Boo Radleys Giant StepsImagine Dragons Imagine Dragons
Snow Patrol When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear UpMister And Mississippi We Only Part To Meet Again
Ditto (3)
Marshmallows are nobody's favorite food...

The Future and the Past

Pangea
February 23rd 2015

First review so any feedback is welcome.

metalheadrunner and Gameofmetal, many thanks for proofreading this!

Digging: A Bunny's Caravan - Draining Puddles, Retrieving Treasures

brandontaylor
February 24th 2015

Not a bad first review; I agree with your opinion on the album. One thing that jumped out at me was the last sentence, as it's kinda awkward to read and probably would work better separated into two sentences and having "but even though its loveliness" replaced with something like "despite its loveliness". Also in the first paragraph you wrote 'Nathalie' instead of 'Natalie'. Overall a solid review, if a bit brief.

Pangea

Thanks man!

anobsoletevernacular
February 24th 2015

Dig the review man, good job highlighting the good and bad things that happen in the album. I really enjoyed this on the first listen, but I agree that there were a few misses.

Digging: Dave - We're all alone in this together