Xehanort

by Gameofmetal STAFF
February 13th, 2015 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Menace, brutality, and deathcore

The internet age has brought with it many ups and downs for people of many persuasions, notably musicians. While illegal downloading has impaired the industry, one of the greatest advantages brought by the wide web is making it entirely possible for someone to compose creative and quality music in a simple bedroom setting. Xehanort, the one man bedroom project masterminded by John Galloway, is a shining example of this. Not only has the internet allowed him to easily release an EP and a full length album, but it got him enough popularity to attract the attention of Subliminal Groove Records. Despite how easy this process has become, his debut LP Awaken in a Different Dimension feels incredibly cohesive and stands as one of the most well composed progressive deathcore releases in recent years.

Xehanort is nothing if not ambitious. Awaken in a Different Dimension is an hour long concept story based around Kingdom Hearts, of all things. The story is an original invention, despite borrowing much from the aforementioned source, and manifests itself across the album through separate “entries” that serve as songs. “Entry 1: The Unknown” serves up an atmospheric buildup before the controlled chaos hits, with Galloway’s ferocious harsh vocals tearing through the soundscape. His growls are full and powerful, while his high screams pierce viciously. “Entry 2: Colossus” is one of the most hard hitting tracks on the record, with absolutely crushing breakdowns and merciless blasting. Ominous guitar leads lend a sense of foreboding to many of the buildups that elevate them to towering climaxes. Most of the album leans towards crushing the listener with heavy riffs, but tense atmospheres add color to Xehanort’s sonic palette. Spoken word passages crop up a few times and creepy, robotic clean vocals, akin to The Contortionist, appear notably in songs like “Entry VII: Albatross”. The final song could be considered something of a bonus track, and not really a song at all in a sense. “The Missing Pages” lacks music in favor of a spoken word reading of the album’s lyrics in a book-like format. If nothing else it shines light on the intriguing concept story.

The massive mix, another aspect done entirely in the bedroom, fits the album’s large nature and emphasizes the well performed instruments. No single aspect of the music feels left out in the final product. Purists will cry foul that the album was almost entirely programmed, but Galloway deserves some credit for how impossibly natural and lifelike the result is. Without that prior knowledge, the listener would likely never suspect otherwise. All in all Awaken in a Different Dimension is a triumph of musicians in the internet age and an absolute standout within the more creative side of deathcore.

Forteresse Thèmes pour la RébellionBattle Dagorath II - Frozen Light of Eternal Darkness
Wolves in the Throne Room Thrice WovenDayseeker Dreaming is Sinking /// Waking is Rising
The Acacia Strain GravebloomTwilight Fauna The Year the Stars Fell

February 13th 2015

Feedback appreciated. Shout out to Explosive Oranges for the proofread. Summary was kinda tricky, dunno how I feel about it. Wouldn't mind some alternate suggestions.

TalonsOfFire
February 13th 2015

I don't know what this is but that summary is manly so pos

Digging: Tame Impala - Currents B-Sides & Remixes

Where da pos at bich

TalonsOfFire
February 13th 2015

There ya go. Hmm progressive deathcore album about kingdom hearts? Count me in

February 13th 2015

Nice, yeah you should check it. It's pretty interesting stuff

Nocturnalize
February 13th 2015

4.5 Is a little steep don't you think m8? Great review either way man I pos'd now review I, vailance

February 13th 2015

Could be. Kinda between that and a 4. I just might have to do I, Valiance.

insanedrexl1

Love the band name.

ComeToDaddy
February 13th 2015

So thaaaat's why they're called Xehanort. Really nice review, I love a solid slab of deathcore so will check this out.

YakNips
February 13th 2015

used to like this guys youtube vids

Archelirion
February 14th 2015

Great review man. Was it this guy that recorded his first EP using entirely GP5 or something? I seem to recall weirdly liking at the time.

February 14th 2015

"used to like this guys youtube vids"

me too lol

"Was it this guy that recorded his first EP using entirely GP5 or something? I seem to recall weirdly liking at the time."

I don't recall but probably isn't unlikely. I haven't heard his first ep for whatever reason

SitruK6
February 14th 2015

nice review but don't you think 4.5 is a bit too high?

maybe..........

SitruK6
February 14th 2015

i mean don't get me wrong if you think it deserves 4.5 then leave it as it is.

February 14th 2015

kinda borders. somewhere between a 4 and a 4.5 probs. Ive had it a 4.5 for so long I didn't really question it tbh

cryptside
February 14th 2015

Nice review here, man. Pos'd. I don't love the intro para, but that's more just because I avoid the illegal downloading bit like the plague. It's really just a preferential thing.

Haha, thx man

cryptside
February 14th 2015

So this is pretty good? Haven't listened to much deathcore lately outside of Whitechapel, so I might give this a go.

February 14th 2015

Yeah it's certainly creative by deathcore standards and also freakishly heavy by deathcore standards. I'd recommend giving it a go.