Viper the Rapper

December 2nd, 2014 | 120 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hear me out on this

Classics Albums Month Pt. 1: Viper - Ahead of His Time and Out of His Mind

I feel like an outsider looking in when I listen to Viper. His music is very puzzling and I dare say "challenging". When I first came across You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack I had an appropriate laugh and then moved on with my life, but something brought me back to this album. The lyrics are absurd, the vocal performance is abysmal, and the beats sound like presets on a child's keyboard, but on repeated listens I realized this album is an amazing piece of outsider art and something to be cherished.

Viper is not a talented rapper by any stretch of the imagination. His lyrics are garden variety braggadocio and tales of the streets, but what terrible rapper doesn't have lyrics like that" What makes Viper stand out as the king of bad rapping is his complete and utter lack of variation in his flow and vocal inflection. Viper drones along in this slow, tired sounding whisper vocal technique that never changes the entire record, whether Viper is laying down a hook, or spitting a verse, it's always the same. This may sound like a major criticism, but when Viper's sleepy-time flow is paired with the beats on this album it's pure magic.

The beats on You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack are, believe it or not, ahead of their time as they fuse a nostalgic and ethereal blend of cloud rap and vaporwave, two styles of music that did not exist when this album was released. The warbling lo-fi synths create a dreamy atmosphere which serves as the perfect complement to Viper's unenthusiastic mumbles that sit low enough in the mix to create a shoegaze-esque blending effect. The result of this combination is a relaxing and elegant sound that is equal parts beauty and equal parts train wreck.

You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack is a strange masterpiece where everything is wrong, yet everything is right. It's like a bad movie that's so genuine and entertaining that it crosses over to amazing. Not every song hits the mark, but songs like "This is Our Ball," "I Like The Way," and "Parlayin'" have honest to God great hooks and masterful beats that prove when Viper is on point, he's on fucking point. Lil B knows he's a joke and that's great, but Viper is great and that's the joke" Anyway, You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack is a beautiful piece of outsider art that paved the way for cloud rap and vaporwave completely on accident, and I love it so.

Alkaline Trio Is This Thing Cursed?Mark Kozelek Mark Kozelek
Dr. Octagon MoosebumpsBlessthefall Hard Feelings
Moose Blood I Don't Think I Can Do This AnymorePianos Become the Teeth Wait For Love

December 2nd 2014

Seriously give it a chance if you're at all interested in cloud rap or vaporwave

Digging: Soundtrack (Film) - A Star is Born

Ryus

pos

GmemberKills
December 2nd 2014

You always do good reviews but this is honestly one of the best reviews I've read by you. You inspired

me to check out the full length.

I kinda agree hard on the beats being ahead of its time too just by judging off the title track.

December 2nd 2014

Thanks for the compliment!

I was just having fun with this review so I'm glad you liked it

oltnabrick
December 2nd 2014

two years late but w/e :P

Digging: Akitsa - Credo

Let
December 2nd 2014

Great review, I'll give the album a try.

Greyvy

wuts up
i don' giv a fuk
ya bois run up
i be quick ta bussss

parlayin'

doin' my thang

something something roomatize? roomatize? our gang?

ExplosiveOranges

Marry me, Treb.

Archelirion
December 2nd 2014

One of the funniest reviews I've ever read, yet as a bonus I wanna listen to it. I've only heard the title track. Spaced shit yo.

Greyvy

if anyone hasn't heard

Full album

PappyMason

Nice review.

I haven't heard this in full. I listened to a couple of tracks a while back and I don't think I was quite ready for it lol.

Have a look at the last line ('that paved the way for cloud rap and vaporwave complete on accident, and I love it so') - do you mean 'completely by accident'?

December 2nd 2014

yeah I do thanks for the catch

tommygun

'complete on accident'

what

JohnnyOnTheSpot
December 2nd 2014

yeah, one of my favourite reviews from you I think, nicely done.

Snake.

20950 Comments

better than xspongexcorex agreed

kris.

hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

heres a lil sumthin 4 u busters

Archelirion
December 2nd 2014

I don't know whether it's because it's 1 a.m. and my brain is fried from coursework, but... I kinda like this.

GnarlyShillelagh
December 2nd 2014

you actually reviewed this lol