Paramore
Paramore

good

by Toondude USER (73 Reviews)
November 27th, 2014 | 37 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ain't it fun?

Honestly, I find the divisive response between critics and casual fans fascinating, and Paramore's self-titled release is about as polarizing as it gets, with its overblown, poppy production and corny lyrical themes driving away fans like a mass exodus, yet attracting numerous amounts of critical praise like moths to a flame. The fact that a band like Paramore, a punk rock oriented group, simply turns into a mainstream pop act is quite stunning. To be fair, Paramore isn’t the worst album in the world, but it’s not the highly acclaimed landmark album that most critics claim it to be. Don't get me wrong though, it's still the worst Paramore record to date, but it doesn't mean it's bad.

Put simply, this album is cocky, cheese-filled radio fodder. Songs like “Still Into You”, “Grow Up”, and “Daydreaming” showcases the band at their safest, hiding behind their synths and Hayley’s vocals, both of which are cringe-inducing. However, Paramore’s poppy ideas work to the album’s advantage with songs like “Now”, “Part II”, and “Proof”, which are easily the best songs on the album with a more guitar-based sound. Despite the filler and corny themes that this album throws at us, Paramore had a lot of fun writing and recording this album and this is reflected on songs like “Ain’t It Fun” and the interludes that, while unnecessary, are quite enjoyable to their own right. Even the band themselves stated that the last song “Future” was the song that they enjoyed recording most. So while we’re stuck with Paramore for the time being, we can just hope that this change in style is only temporary.

Starset DivisionsKamelot The Shadow Theory
Fight the Fade MasksMachine Head Catharsis
Evanescence SynthesisRed (USA) Gone
2.9
good

November 27th 2014

I know there's a bunch of reviews for this, but I felt like I needed to write this.

Credit for JohnnyOnTheSpot for proofreading for me. But as always additional feedback is appreciated.

dmp3131
November 27th 2014

Part II is so good, my god that song gives me chills

dmp3131
November 27th 2014

Also good review. Short, but sweet.

November 27th 2014

Pretty much what I wanted to go for with this

Green Baron
November 27th 2014

Honestly, I find it hilarious divisive the response

typo?

Digging: Killing Joke - Brighter Than a Thousand Suns

possibly

TalonsOfFire
November 27th 2014

Put simply, this album is cocky, cheese-filled radio fodder.

Well said

Digging: Gazpacho - Fireworker

November 27th 2014

Well that's what it is, how else would you put it?

Mongi123

20931 Comments

Not a fan of LP reviews this short if I'm being perfectly honest, but still well written nonetheless good work. Pos.

samesounds

I agree with the highlights. Part II and Now

scottpilgrim10
November 27th 2014

"hiding behind their synths and Hayley’s vocals, both of which are cringe-inducing."

what. I mean I agree with the rating, but I love Hayley's vocals. And I still really enjoy Still Into You its a great concert closer. Nice short review.

Snake.

ugh fuck this album

TalonsOfFire
November 27th 2014

Well that's what it is, how else would you put it?

I wasn't being sarcastic, for once lol

scottpilgrim10
November 27th 2014

I thought it was pretty genuine.

Pos

Great review Toon. Although, it isn't a mystery how they turned pop, they just lost two important members of the band that kept to their old sound.

Digging: Marilyn Manson - We Are Chaos

wwf
November 27th 2014

Short review but I think it hits most enough points to deserve a pos.

Album's pretty dece

November 27th 2014

Probably the main reason as to why it's short is because everyone else pretty much pointed out everything else, both good and bad, in the album so there wasn't too much to talk about.

November 27th 2014

Don't think it needs an explaination, bro, the review is solid as a rock.

ZackSh33