The Residents
Eskimo

by Atari STAFF
August 2nd, 2014 | 47 replies

Release Date: 1979 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An unconventional romp through the Arctic by one of the most perplexing bands in music.

For a band that has released well over fifty albums since the ‘70s, The Residents have remained one of the most mysterious musical forces in existence, and stubbornly so. Even if you were lucky enough to catch them in concert, their identities would be concealed by either giant eyeball masks and top hats (their trademark look) or some other kind of camouflage. Their constant refusal to reveal their identities is perhaps the most unique thing about them, but that’s not to say their music is conventional in any way. It’s avant-garde at its best: experimental and innovative, especially for its time.

Listening to any given album by The Residents is an unusual experience to say the least, and 1979‘s Eskimo is no exception. If you’ve ever wanted to embark on a wacky, unpredictable adventure through the Arctic, look no further. As bizarre as the album is, however, it does a remarkable job of imitating life through the eyes of an Eskimo. Sounds of people interacting and chanting over the frigid arctic winds gives the listener the sense that they’re actually there in the middle of the action.

Although a good majority of the album is comprised of eerie sound effects, there’s still enough going on musically to please the ears. Songs like the epic ‘The Festival of Death’ contain enjoyable flute sections and tribal drumming whereas ‘Birth’ drags the listener into the icy landscape with its captivating synths and refuses to release its grip until the end. Other tunes like ‘Arctic Hysteria’ and the borderline schizophrenic ‘The Angry Angakok’ are more difficult to digest but are also prime examples of just how damn strange The Residents are at times; both tracks containing the strangest shouting and chanting you’ll likely ever hear.

As odd as they are at times, there’s something undeniably quirky and likeable about The Residents. Thankfully, much of this charm is found on Eskimo and it makes it simply hard to resist at times. The only real drawback to the album lies in its accessibility as not everyone will dig this kind of thing and it takes some genuine patience to sink in. If you give it time, however, the album is an intriguing listen that will only further pique your interest about The Residents. They might have dozens of outlandish albums to choose from, but Eskimo isn’t a shabby place to start.

Circuit Des Yeux Reaching For IndigoNadia Reid Preservation
Phoebe Bridgers Stranger in the AlpsSannhet So Numb
The Lurking Fear Out Of The Voiceless GraveNeun Welten The Sea I'm Diving In
danielsfrebirth (3)
It's racist. But my God is it well-made....

August 2nd 2014

Yay, a new Atari review! I've never heard of these guys before, but I will definitely check them out when I get a chance.

August 2nd 2014

This was for Judio's review a random album game. Had some writers block but finally came up with this
so hope it turned out ok. I'd love some feedback!

Digging: Langhorne Slim - Lost At Last, Vol 1

August 2nd 2014

It honestly feels a little shorter than usual, but that's not a bad thing. Overall, I'm just glad to see you still reviewing, man.

deathschool

21927 Comments

Sweet reviewness. Mental pos.

InbredJed
August 2nd 2014

nice pic for a rev, and a valiant write up.

Digging: Slade - Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply

August 2nd 2014

Yay finally a review for this

August 2nd 2014

Why am I not surprised that you'd dig this, BM?

August 2nd 2014

fripp rec'd me them a few months ago, weirdest band i've ever come across

manosg
August 2nd 2014

Great work man, I can imagine this wasn't easy to write.

Digging: Travelin Jack - Commencing Countdown

August 2nd 2014

Thanks for the kind words fellas

weirdest band i've ever come across

pretty much haha

August 2nd 2014

If it's the weirdest band that BM of all people has ever come across, I'm sold.

you heard the debut?

August 2nd 2014

Thanks manosg! yeah I didn't have a clue what to say at first lol

you heard the debut?

I actually listened to it before I heard this one to get an idea on their overall sound, but i need to
hear it again. i love the album cover haha

hard 4.5 for me, but yeah the cover rules haha

deathschool

21927 Comments

All I've heard of these guys is the debut and Freak Show. Was not a fan of Freak Show.

August 2nd 2014

nice, i'll be listening again for sure. any other albums by them you really dig?

August 2nd 2014

don't know too much about these guys yet, but i dig everything i've heard. check duck stab or third reich n' roll

cryptside
August 2nd 2014

Nice work, man! Seems like a band that woud be incredibly hard to write about. I applaud you for this one haha.

PostMesmeric
August 2nd 2014

I checked this album a couple months ago and was wondering why it didn't have a review yet. It's pretty impenetrable stuff, though. Still enjoyed this album.

August 2nd 2014

thanks Mark! glad you liked it

@PostMesmeric, yeah impenetrable is a pretty good word for it haha