Destiny Potato

by Benjamin Kuettel STAFF
May 20th, 2014 | 135 replies

Release Date: 05/13/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ironic Progressive Rock

Destiny Potato is an interesting group that seemed to have come out of nowhere. The group was formed in 2010 by Berklee graduate and multi-instrumentalist David Maxim Micic with vocalist Aleksandra Djelmas. Destiny Potato’s debut LUN was released a week ago, with almost no attention or publicity surrounding it. While their popularity is steadily growing, they certainly deserve more attention for what they have achieved. LUN is not your typical modern progressive metal album. For one thing, almost every trope in the genre is mocked or made fun of in one way or another. The profanity ridden outro of “Love Song” or the comical sounding accordion interlude in “Lunatic” sandwiched between the pummeling heavy sections of the otherwise daunting and emotional track are only a few examples of the comical Easter eggs riddled throughout the 52 minute running time.

One of the most impressive aspects of LUN is the progressive nature of the music integrated with poppy hooks and intentionally robotic production. The songs themselves succeed largely due to their catchiness and skilled structuring of heavy progressive rock and pop. While a molding of these genres sounds contradictory, the album flows surprisingly well. “Addict” and “Indifferent” are mid-tempo metal tracks that display impressive musicianship and technical guitar riffing with crushing breakdowns. “Take a Picture” almost sounds like it could come straight from a Paramore album. “Lost Dream” is one of the best examples of the technical guitar riffing coupled with the pop choruses that will inevitably get stuck in your head for days after listening.

A distinctive quality of Destiny Potato is the emotive and robotic vocals of Aleksandra Djelmas. Despite the attempts at making her sound like a machine, she is surprisingly expressive and is one of the most enjoyable parts of the album, exuding emotion through her powerful singing and impressive range. “House of Lies” has Djelmas almost screaming the lines “I don’t know who you are, I don’t know where to start, When all along you tore apart, You don’t know you I am and you don’t understand, That I would never live this way.” She is used frequently, even belting out a few impressive screams at just the right times.

LUN is one of the most refreshing examples of the genre and Destiny Potato displays a true understanding of the craft, all the while having fun with it all. The album never feels uneven or oversaturated in a wall of sound or technical riffing like so many of their contemporaries. Despite the genre-bending qualities it possesses, it scales back all the contrasting elements for a restrained and slick sound. One of the most impressive qualities of LUN is the use of electronics and dance beats. While so many modern bands use EDM in interludes and outros, sometimes in every song on the album (I’m looking at you Periphery), Destiny Potato surprisingly uses them sparingly and randomly. While the production produces a few electronic flourishes, like adding robotic touches to the drumbeats or some of the vocals, they are used to convey a certain sound and style with the existing ingredients.

What ultimately makes LUN so enjoyable and replayable is its sense of humor and playfulness. The songs exude an attitude reminiscent of classic hard rock bands and pop stars. The mating of pop music and progressive metal has the songs following a contemporary rock structure. The pop choruses fit with the rest of the album and are seamlessly blended in with the heavier soloing and riffing. While the songs are full of heavy, technical riffs, they end up sounding catchy and fun. The ironic touches help contribute to its overall lighthearted sound despite the heavy and emotional music and themes, making it a contradictory and massively enjoyable debut.

Toby Driver They Are the ShieldGoldfrapp Silver Eye
A Perfect Circle Eat the ElephantEno, Moebius and Roedelius After the Heat
Harold Budd The Pavilion of DreamsDavid Sylvian and Robert Fripp The First Day

May 20th 2014

This was harder to write, as I just discovered the band a few days ago.

Constructive criticism welcome

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aK3hF3bVPs

Digging: Toby Driver - They Are the Shield

SharkTooth
May 20th 2014

such a weird band name...

Calc

lol that ratings chart

Digging: Avantdale Bowling Club - Avantdale Bowling Club

YakNips

19280 Comments

Such a great album.

Today there was a girl in the classroom I was in that looked like a Mexican version of the singer is in this band. I wanted to make out with her face.

YakNips

19280 Comments

"One of the most impressive aspects of LUN is the progressive nature of the music integrated with poppy hooks"

finally someone that understands

May 20th 2014

It's like what Periphery does but with female singing and less musical nonsense. Love both bands though

Durrzo
May 20th 2014

I've had a pretty good time listening to this. Awesome vocals, solid music, definitely amusing at times. And the band name is so win, I don't care what anyone says.

Digging: The Breathing Process - Samsara

zaruyache

19545 Comments

It's like an experimental Periphery that isn't generic.

Digging: Forn - Rites of Despair

May 20th 2014

I don't know if I'd call Periphery generic but at least this shows some restraint

Diamondize
May 20th 2014

definitely better than periphery i'll give it that

Eh it's close

SitarHero
May 21st 2014

Hmm that's odd. I thought there was already a review up for this. Post the stream too, plz.

Good review though. Pos. I guess I'm too late for inb4 Periphery comparisons.

Funeralopolis

sucks

North0House2
May 21st 2014

I can't get over that name...

Digging: Thou - Magus

demigod!
May 21st 2014

that band name is so fvckin bad though

tommygun

sounds awful

demigod!

Review Summary: Ironic Progressive Rock

yea probably a buncha hipster bullshit!!!

tommygun
May 21st 2014

mite google image her and rub one out then 2.5 it?

SitarHero

Great discussion guys!

Mythodea
May 21st 2014

I really liked David's ''Bilo'' series, last year's was tremendous. The review is generally good, try avoiding too much of the '' one of the most _____ things/ album etc.''.