The Roots
...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin

by FreddieDelaney31 USER (20 Reviews)
May 18th, 2014 | 26 replies

Release Date: 05/20/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 'Cuz everybody's got an angle, and everybody wants tomorrow right now

When it was revealed that ...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin would again be a concept album in the vein of 2011's undun, this time focusing on multiple characters instead of just one, concerns were raised. Black Thought's ineffectuality at providing intimate detail multiplied by 11 sounded like a recipe for a very scattered and underwhelming affair. Well let me and all others eat their words and tip their hats, because The Roots have unequivocally proven us wrong with a startling, kaleidoscopic effort. There is no struggling for precise detail because there is no need for precise detail; the slight vagueness to events stands to strengthen the work and the point it is trying to make because it is a panoramic view.

Basically, this is the aural equivalent of Cabin in The Woods. A seriocomic satire of hip/hop that is funny, sad, beautiful and ugly. Keeping in mind with both the Cabin in The Woods analogy and the mention of vagueness, the scene that most comes to mind is that of the terrifying and exhilarating elevator ride when all of the different monstrosities are shown off, one after the other. It doesn't linger on one horror for too long, because that it isn't the point. It is the effect of accumulation. The Roots take these basic and familiar rap tropes and characters and offer succinct, lasting snapshots. It knows exactly when to wink and when to make a sobering point. On top of that, The Roots also throw these familiar ingredients right in the middle of raucous, abrasive songs to once again subvert expectations. That's exactly what makes lead single, When The People Cheer, so brilliant. It's subject matter is so well-worn and tired by now in hip-hop; it's The Roots giving you a song about money, fat asses, and strippers. But The Roots are better than your standard luxury rap and absolutely know that, and so the confidence is infectious and playful, with a kiddie keyboard beat, a cutting wink of a chorus, and all capped by a standout verse from Black Thought. To realize also how much of a sturdy critique of rap tropes the song is is only an added bonus, and that's really the story of the whole album: Comedy and tragedy are on each side of the coin, as well as critique and entertainment. That's what makes interlude Dies Irae, a riff on useless rap skits used as filler, so funny. I think this will prove to be an important album for the things it says and how it chooses to say them. So wake up, and listen.

Trophy Eyes The American DreamSnail Mail Lush
Mount Eerie A Crow Looked At MeHop Along Bark Your Head Off, Dog
The Mountain Goats GothsSorority Noise You're Not As ____ As You Think
3.2
good
GnarlyShillelagh EMERITUS (3.3)
undun....

krthll1 (3)
The Roots display what makes them a cultural force of nature, but also show off why their newer work...

May 17th 2014

There was more I wanted to say about this but I've really wanted to write about it ever since I've listened to it. I might come back sometime and add more to this.

Digging: ITEM - Sad Light

Phlegm

dam that was fast

SharkTooth
May 18th 2014

I did not know that the Roots had an album coming....

will have to check it out sometime

May 18th 2014

It's been out a few days now, I've listened many times, and I wanted to write about it really bad.

MMX

great album

downloading now

May 18th 2014

I've no idea if this review is even remotely good enough, but could someone tell me how to possibly go about getting this featured?

Calc

my profile
help forum
for the meds
ask politely

also provide the link because it aint out until the 20th

Slut
May 18th 2014

Didn't even know this was a thing ok

cool I appreciate it and

May 18th 2014

so can anyone tell me if this is good, how I could improve it, ect

GnarlyShillelagh
May 18th 2014

the biggest problem with this review is it really doesn't describe the album's sound at all. like this is not a normal rap album, not even close. it's not even a normal roots album. it's so beyond experimental left field weird as fuck out there but people reading this review will not get that impression at all.

also the cabin in the woods thing is weird bc idk anything about that that whole chunk of stuff is confusing to me

JumpTheF**kUp
May 18th 2014

writing a review for this gnarly?

MagmaWalrus
May 18th 2014

This is a very good review but it does read like you haven't heard the album much.

HenchmanOfSanta

1994 Comments

This album just kinda...happens. Really disappointing follow up to undun, which I think is one of their best. But I like bits of it. Will take more listens to really form an opinion.

daIceman

sooooooooo bad ....

GnarlyShillelagh
May 18th 2014

jtfu yeah going to hopefully get started on one today but i agree w/ henchmanofsanta 100% about needing a bunch more listens to form a real strong opinion on it so we'll see when i finish hehe

May 18th 2014

Undun was a masterpiece so I'm not sure if this will live up to expectations. We'll see...

Digging: Exit North - Book of Romance and Dust

May 18th 2014

Gonna jam tn - hoping it lives up since their past few albums have been so great.

May 18th 2014

On first listen this is pretty solid. Gotta give it more listens to form a real opinion though.