Banner Pilot

by Trebor. STAFF
May 12th, 2014 | 14 replies

Release Date: 04/15/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Consistency finally catches up to Banner Pilot

After putting out four albums and one EP all with the same general sound, Banner Pilot were bound to let their brand of consistently catchy, anthemic pop-punk tunes catch up to them. While the band's second album Collapser refined the raw, underdeveloped Jawbreaker/The Lawrence Arms worshiping sound the band showcased on their early material, and Heart Beats Pacific added some much needed variety in the form of some mellower songs and more diverse vocal melodies, Banner Pilot's fourth full length album Souvenir is unfortunately too consistent for its own good and ends up feeling like the same song and dance.

Souvenir plays out like a retread of Collapser and Heart Beats Pacific, but with less stand out tracks and no real album feel or distinctive features. At this point in their discography Banner Pilot really needed to do something different to maintain the level of exceptionalism they've become known for; without any real differentiation, Souvenir ends up being nothing more than a collection of pretty good Banner Pilot songs. Like the line from the second track "Effigy": "Even in my best days I'm half of who you are," most other pop-punk bands are half as good as a subpar Banner Pilot record on a good day. With all that being said, Souvenir is no revelation, but it is a highly enjoyable, albeit slightly disappointing Banner Pilot record.