Ceres
I Don't Want To Be Anywhere But Here

by UnstableConnection1 USER (52 Reviews)
April 24th, 2014 | 22 replies

Release Date: 03/25/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: To fellow Australians and the rest of the world; this album begs for your attention...

Finding an album that is worthy of your attention, is like meeting someone attractive, late one night in a crowded bar. Most nights you would stumble around, maybe talk to a few new people but at the end of the night, go home with the safety of friends. But every once in a while you might meet someone different who peaks your interest and you can envision a future with. This is how I treat my music, searching endlessly for that new special album, but if I can’t I’m more than satisfied laying in bed listening to all my favourites. The latest album that I think suits the metaphors above is the debut full length album I Don’t Want To Be Anywhere But Here by local Melbourne rockers Ceres.

After Ceres debut EP Luck made some waves in the indie pop punk scene, the recently released full length builds off all that momentum and adds something extra. I Don’t Want To Be Anywhere But Here opens with the track ‘Jam Song’, which does a great job at establishing the album as a whole. The opener is a slab of warm intimate feeling guitar strums that build up a huge powerful raw expression of emotion. The upbeat drumming and guitar melodies shine over the top of minimal hazy vocals that don’t need to be clear to be appreciated. The short frantic pace of this opener rollicks through the next few tracks and perfectly paints what Ceres are trying to capture with their fresh blend of post-punk /emo pop rock. ‘Middle Names’ wastes little time before a blistering pace is set by the drums and the soft vocals are layered over melodic guitars and heartfelt instrumentals.

‘I Feel Fine, I Feel Sick’ is one of the catchier moments on the album and the chorus “I never lie to you, I just bend the truth a little bit.” begs to be screamed by a huge moshing crowd. The album really begins to hit its stride here, with the lyrics are relatable and the music bends and creates a perfect atmosphere for the lead singer Tom Lanyons vocals to shine, whilst never being at the forefront of the music. ‘Try To Keep You’ follows a similar formula where drums swirl around the listeners ears and atmospheric vocal overlays provide some truly satisfying musical moments. The album finishes with a folk inspired guitar before the song ‘Bless The Thief’ allows a slower way to wind down things and again shows off Lanyons thick Aussie accent whilst dispelling some hometown memories.

This is an important release when it comes to the Australian music scene, and has been the first thing to really turn my head since discovering bands like The Smith Street Band and The Bennies. The only thing that feels out of place on this release is the song ‘Three Times’. Although it is one of the best cuts from the album and is a six and half minute epic, I feel should have ended the album. But in the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn’t matter. I Don’t Want To Be Anywhere But Here feels strangely familiar, encompassed in a sense of nostalgia and yet remains completely fresh at the same time. To fellow Australians and the rest of the world; this album begs for your attention, so make sure to offer it a ride home before it leaves the party with someone else.

Volbeat Seal the Deal & Let's BoogieBuckcherry Rock N Roll
Pop Evil UpBrigades Indefinite
Lifehouse Out Of The WastelandThree Days Grace Human

Nikkolae
April 24th 2014

streaming in full right here https://hobbledehoy.bandcamp.com/album/i-dont-want-to-be-anywhere-but-here

such a sweet jam for summer, glad i gave this a shot, great review.

Digging: Masakari - The Prophet Feeds

ellagos
April 24th 2014

Wow this is a good find, "I Feel Fine, I Feel Sick" and "Barkly Garden Break Up Park" both rock

Nikkolae

Three Times is wonderful too

April 24th 2014

damn, i gotta see these guys ASAP. check out Initials for more Aussie emotional punk jams.

silentstar
April 24th 2014

the artwork is beautiful, definitely checking this out

July 23rd 2014

These guys are supporting The Wonder Years at an all ages Melbourne date and I could not be more psyched for all them Pop Punk Defenders getting their first taste of Ceres.

edit: didn't happen

December 11th 2014

why are "Middle Names" and "Half a Metre" two different tracks? they're one song and it's really confusing splitting them up like that.

BlushfulHippocrene
May 2nd 2017

Such a good band.

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On

December 25th 2018

This album rules. More people need to check this group.

January 16th 2019

Holy fucking shit, this album

Digging: Cursive - The Ugly Organ

January 17th 2019

Half a meter fucking rules

January 17th 2019

This guys vocal delivery is bonkers amazing. Also, sweet production job on the guitars, very unique in the genre

January 17th 2019

If you're in Australia you have to see them live. They all have so much energy and the live vox are insane, both times I've seen them Tom goes all out, every single note.

Also if you haven't checked it already try their Luck EP, the tracks on that might even top this.

January 18th 2019

Luck is pretty sweet and sadly no I’m in the states. Their follow up has some good jams but can’t top this, still love it too though. Think I want to throw a review down for this to hopefully get it some more attention. This is definitely a Sputnik album.

Hell yeah. 5 that shit and get it frontpaged YUS

Slex
January 21st 2019

Wasn't aware this album is so hyped, Baby's Breath is one of the best songs ever, hope there's more here like that one

Digging: Every Time I Die - From Parts Unknown

January 21st 2019

See that tree outsiiiide, it's my mother's flamin neeeeeck

January 21st 2019

its not a new release so they wont front page it

schoonda
January 22nd 2019

Upwey Tecoma Belgrave is arguably their best song ever, shivers every time

Digging: Women - Public Strain

January 27th 2019

Oh yeah it's fantastic. So many of their songs compete for their best, even their nearly hidden tracks like Woodwork and Pomegranate give me shivers.