Invent Animate
Waves

by HardlyHardcore USER (3 Reviews)
March 29th, 2014 | 8 replies

Review Summary: Invent, Animate is a 5 piece metalcore band hailing from Neches, Texas. Waves, their debut ep, stands to show that there may yet be hope for metalcore.

Invent, Animate is a 5 piece metalcore band hailing from Neches, Texas. Waves, their debut ep, stands to show that there may yet be hope for metalcore. Invent, Animate uses technical and progressive aspects and influences to keep their music from going stale. The two guitarists compliment each others melodies and individual styles very well and this feel of cohesion allows for a genuinely unique sound. The drummer lays down the foundation for each song and uses intricate fills and chaotic blast beats to add to the overall fluidity of the music, but sometimes fades into the background when the guitar leads become more pronounced.

Some listeners may find the vocals a little too amateur for their liking, but I personally feel that the raw vocals help to add genuine emotion to Invent, Animate's sound. The vocalist has a good range and shows it by frequently switching between powerful highs, heavy hitting growls, and angry mids. Cleans are scattered throughout the ep in a few of the songs, but they aren't too prevalent and they usually signify the calm before the storm. A lot of listeners will be pleased to hear that, aside from on a couple of tracks, Invent, Animate proves that they don't need to rely on breakdowns and constant chugging to maintain a heavy sound.

The best aspect of the ep is the bands affinity for creating and sustaining an impressive atmosphere throughout the six tracks, although the one instrumental song Abyss does fall short on being anything more than a one minute and twelve second bridge between two songs, the rest of the album uses well placed synth and harmonies, intricate melodies, and emotional vocals to promote an impressive coexistence between harmony and disarray. Invent, Animate shows that although they still need progression in a few areas, they are a band to keep an eye on and if their new singles are anything to go by they are headed in the right direction.

3.2
good

Killerhit
March 29th 2014

"angry mids"

this comment stymies me for some reason, it's not a very good term for describing the vocals

still, not bad. pos.

nononsense
March 30th 2014

They sound like Counterparts.

climactic
March 30th 2014

i know how this sounds from the album cover

paradox1216
March 30th 2014

everyone laments the state of metalcore but the amount of albums I've seen proclaimed as the "hope for metalcore" is quite a bit

I think this was the band that Erra's guitarist/vocalist was producing, their newer EP is certainly decent but lacks the songwriting that makes Erra so good. They might grow with time though. Review is pretty decent if generic

HardlyHardcore
April 1st 2014

Thanks for the comments. Paradox, could you please elaborate on how my review is generic? I'd like to avoid being generic.

Diamondize
April 1st 2014

I remember this band. They evolved from a generic "technical" metalcore band to ripping-off Northlane.

HardlyHardcore
April 15th 2014

I definitely see the similarities to Northlane, especially with a couple of their new singles, but I still think they're a great band and they have a lot of potential.

DatBeefPudding
June 3rd 2014

1909 Comments

just discovered this band, not bad, not bad at all.