Pixies
EP2

2.0
poor

by LizaLowe USER (9 Reviews)
February 18th, 2014 | 6 replies

Release Date: 01/03/2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Where is my Pixies?

Like every good comeback we hope our heroes can still bring the same old magic that they once brought. Magic is one word I will not lend to the new Pixes ep titled EP2.

As a big Pixies fan I wanted to like the music. I said to myself maybe the first few listens I was missing something. I mean it's never fair to make judgement on music upon the first listen and, with most great artists you only get the starter on the first listen and the main course comes later.

Unfortunately EP2 doesn't get better or reveal much with repeat listening. To me it becomes less interesting. The first two tracks are the best tracks on the ep. "Blue Eyed Hexe" opens with a dirty cool guitar riff but the melody is tuneless and it quickly loses ground. The same thing can be said for "Magadalena", although it does have some nice guitar sonics courtesy of Joey Santiago.

"Greens and Blues" sounds like a bside and not an intersting bside. EP2 ends with "Snakes" which does provide the most tuneful of all the tracks on the ep and does have a catchy chours but it's all very safe.

The Pixes don't need to rely on new music at this point and are more so a touring band than a band trying to create something new. That's ok in some ways as they have made some classic albums . It's just a shame they can't seem to capture the same lightening in a bottle on studio songs this time around.