Elder (USA-MA)
Dead Roots Stirring

by conesmoke USER (5 Reviews)
November 19th, 2013 | 87 replies

Review Summary: Refreshingly memorable stoner rock.

Elder’s tone sits somewhere between Black Sabbath, Torche and Sleep. They’ve found a sweet spot in their production, keeping clear sight of all instrumentation whilst overdubbing fuzzed guitars to create deliciously thick walls of sound. It's a winning formula of stoner/psychedelic/sludge with just a dash of blues in the leads. This neat and complimentary ratio between genres keeps the songs evolving and engaging.

The vocals are superbly composed and without a doubt one of the albums best features. Nick DiSalvo never sings out of place, every delivery is right on time and packed with feeling. My favourite moment in this respect would have to be the first time we hear Nicks voice in ‘Gemeni’:

“Those days, where are we to go, stumbling down the empty streets while we were swallowed in this hole.”

Sounding something like a slowed down fu Manchu chorus, this verse powerfully harmonizes with guitar arpeggios and a beefy bass line. 4 minutes down the track the tempo increases and climaxes in a short lived, adventurous stoner jam. Even at 9 minutes this opener doesn’t waste any time and does a fine job of welcoming the listener to the albums overdriven, fuzzy tone.

The title track opens in a less focused manner. The dense layering and low-end distortion is still present but the guitar instead chooses to build a series of scintillate leads, leaving the rhythm section to pick up the slack of the ever-present sludge grooves. The melodic directions of the solos and melodies focus more on finding a desired emotion and less on unnecessary showboating. The end result is delightfully refreshing style of stoner rock. A fine Example is the end of III, where a slippery sounding guitar slithers its way through the heavy soundscape, rearing it’s head wherever deemed necessary before snaking back to the sea of distortion.

Matt Couto and Jack Donovan do a great job of providing rhythmic support to Elders sound. The euphoric 16 bar chord progression at the end of Knot wouldn’t be what it is without the driving bass lines or the dynamically shaping beats and fills. Although the record is fairly gritty and mid paced, there are a few moments where we see through the fluffy cloud of dubbed and fuzzed guitars to view a more graceful side of Elder, as heard at the start of III. Wind samples, tom patterns and bass rumbles evoke imagery of tumbleweeds rolling around a desolate backdrop. The songs melodic theme is soon enough planted in this arid wasteland and against all odds matures to bear fruit worthy of stoner rock heaven.

Guitar effects are tastefully integrated into the songs and mostly include fuzz, overdrive and wah. The end of III shows superb displays of psychedelic wah action, as Nick raises and lowers the filter sweep in tight sync with the twists and turns of his riffing. Acoustic guitars seep from the formwork of this song in a slowly building ambiance. The tense atmosphere converts what should be the ugly sound of miss-plucked strings into creepily serene vibrations. Sludgy power chords and psychedelic riffs push the songs in new directions until finally giving way to one of the many stimulating psych/stoner influenced melodies this album has to offer.

With continued releases of this caliber I can see Elder rising to a position of high achievement within the genre. I urge fans of fuzzed out rock to give this a spin, as I’m sure they too will discover that each of these five songs has something interesting and memorable to offer.

Band members:
Guitar/Vocals/Keys: Nick DiSalvo
Bass: Jack Donovan
Drums: Matt Couto

4.2

November 19th 2013

ya gotta ya gotta... ya gotta be fresh. m/

November 19th 2013

Heard this a while ago, quality psych for sure

Digging: Sirom - A Universe that Roasts Blossoms for a Horse

November 19th 2013

I've checked elder usa-pa out, It came on after this on spotify. I just let it play through their self titled EP and thought it was pree kewl. I prefer these guys tho. m/

haha, thanks man.

burningbeard
November 19th 2013

This rules, the outro solo/noodle to III is my high point of the album.

Really good review, it's deserved one for a while.

November 19th 2013

Thanks man, I know the part you're referring to and it's glorious.

November 19th 2013

Al was a Bum, an elder with his dead roots stirring from within

This owns

Digging: Sugar Babe - Songs

November 19th 2013

It sure does bloc. Luv me some Gemeni.

Ye, practicing my stoner-hop

Inveigh
November 20th 2013

Nice review, def a great album

Digging: Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury

November 20th 2013

cheers bra, I wonder if these guys are jamming on new stuff.

Jips

Album is dope...

November 20th 2013

gotta be bloc approved bro

tatermashter
November 22nd 2013

I agree, the wall of sound feel to the album really makes all of the melodies, chord strums, and raw power chord riffage stand head and shoulders above a lot of the stuff I'm hearing nowadays. Kinda like how Opeth perfected that sound to make everything more crisp and significant when it was able to rise out of the maelstrom. Anyone know of more great psych sludge like this? I'm only acquainted with Sleep, Kyuss and Monster Magnet, all of those 90s jams

Tyrannic
November 22nd 2013

Gimme dat wall

November 28th 2013

gotta luv dat wall bro. \m/

burningbeard
January 10th 2014

Wall >

Mad.
April 16th 2014

This album is fucking awesome. III is probably the best track.

MisterTornado
April 16th 2014

still the best stoner rock in years