Rishloo
Terras Fames

by Mongi123 CONTRIBUTOR (133 Reviews)
June 19th, 2013 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A promising start for a band that got immensely better with age.

There are many bands out there that are incredibly talented, but never get discovered or signed by a record company. Rishloo is one of those bands and it's a true crime. It takes a certain amount of talent and instrumental skill to tackle a genre like progressive and it's quite impressive they managed to get mostly everything right in their debut. While the band has said that Tool is not a direct influence, there is still an essence of a Tool influence because Andrew sounds very similar to Maynard James Keenan and certain instrumental arrangements like the tail end of "Seven Rings Left" sound like Tool. However, Rishloo manages to remain their own band and they stick out like a sore thumb in the progressive scene despite some flawed production and unsatisfactory vocals at key moments (these moments don't occur often).

Rishloo's vocalist Andrew Mailloux is surprisingly versatile, powerful, and talented with a stunning vocal range. He is able to hit notes that most vocalists could only dream of hitting. Examples of this would be "Narcissist Code" and "Romance Of A Dead Kingdom." On "Narcissist Code" it starts out with a very dreamy guitar riff and his very quiet vocals come in. Soon it climaxes into an angry outburst that is delivered with just the right amount of angst and aggression with Andrew hitting every note with surprising ease. "Romance Of A Dead Kingdom" has a similar outburst, but it is followed by Andrew wailing which has never suited has voice. Though the song as a whole is quite impressive and the lyrics are equally as impressive.

The band's lyrics have always been thought-provoking, metaphorical, and engrossing. In their first entry into their discography that happen to be a tad more accessible. Andrew sings about a various array of topics, but nothing is set in stone. Every song is open to your own interpretation because they can be about multiple topics. "Harlequin" is the most mesmerizing song lyrically and musically because of it's mysterious tone. The lyrics are so complex that you may think you figured out what the meaning is, but then it changes again. The song's middle section overstays it welcome and then picks up again at about the five minute mark. The even more masterful "Seven Rings Left" contains Andrew singing about what appears to be the seven deadly sins. It's an amazing song despite some lackluster production when the guitar gets a little heavier. It's all topped with a very Toolish final minutes.

As for the rest of the bands performance, they give it their all. The drumming on "Romance Of A Dead Kingdom" really showcases excellent drum rolls and the drumming intro in "The Water Is Fine" is spectacular. The vocals and guitar are the major driving force on the album, but perhaps the driving force is too big. The bass is great for what it is, but it never really gets a chance to shine as much as the rest of the band. Thankfully this is improved immensely on their later records. It's also welcome that David's guitar playing is well done.

Rishloo possesses an incredible amount of talent for a band that was so young at the time. It serves as an extremely promising start for a band that only got better with age. Progressive takes a lot of skill to play and Rishloo tackled it extremely well for a debut album. From here on out they only get better, but it's a shame Andrew left the band. All we could do now is look forward to their new project known as The Ghost Apparatus and it sounds extremely promising. Keep it up guys!

Pros:
-Powerful, versatile vocals
-Engrossing lyrics
-Great musicianship
-Narcissist Code

Cons:
-Vocals are less than perfect at key points
-Production could be better
-Vocals, guitar, and drums overshadow the bass

Caspian Dust and DisquietAlcest Kodama
Thrice To Be Everywhere Is to Be NowhereHaken The Mountain
Cult of Luna and Julie Christmas MarinerExplosions in the Sky The Wilderness

Dunpeal (4)
Terras Fames is a fine album for almost any fan of progressive rock. Fans of Tool and A Perfect Circ...

mindleviticus
June 19th 2013

Decent review. I've only heard Eidolon and it was really good; I should probably get them.

Cipieron
June 19th 2013

pretty good review, i dug it.

only error i saw was that 'this moments don't occur often' should be 'these moments...'

This is my least fav of Rishloo's.. band was a bit too derivative at this point.

i'm interested to hear how Ghost Apparatus turns out. that first track (or demo or whatever it was) sounded promising, so colour me excited

June 19th 2013

Thanks guys. Winslow was awesome. Pretty solid instrumental.

@mindleviticus Edited. For me it goes Eidolon, Feathergun, and then Terras Fames. I have sentimental

value for Eidolon, but all of their work is awesome.

June 20th 2013

Good review, I agree with most of what you said other than:

"but it is followed by Andrew wailing which has never suited has voice."

I assume that by wailing you mean the thinner notes towards the end, and while I agree that he doesn't sound as good as he normally does doing that kind of vocals on this album, he improved them later on. I love the sound he gets on stuff like "Weeble Wabble", "Eidolon Alpha" and "Shades" with them. Sidenote: you have a minor typo in the quote, so I guess you should probably fix it.

June 20th 2013

I still hate the way he hits the notes in shades that way haha but weeble wobble and eidolon alpha was amazing

June 20th 2013

good review Mongi. i need to get on this, i enjoyed Feathergun

June 20th 2013

Thanks. Have you heard eidolon? One of the most overlooked prog albums out there. Eidolon alpha is quite a song.

June 20th 2013

ehh no, Feathergun is the only one i've heard by these guys but i'll check it too when i have time. did you listen to the bands we rec'd in that PT thread?

June 20th 2013

The only one I've listened to was Riverside- Out of myself. That was pretty solid. I've kinda been hooked on Karnivool and Porcupine Tree's In Absentia lately. My dad actually really wants me to listen to Images and Words by Dream Theater so I'll try that next.

June 20th 2013

yeah i thought Riverside would suit you. Images and Words is definitely an essential prog metal album ever though i prefer Scenes from a Memory when it comes to DT

June 20th 2013

Riverside was very atmospheric. Not the best I've heard but good stuff. I'll prob stay away from Death cause I don't like my music TOO too heavy haha everything else I'll get to at some point though.

June 24th 2013

On a somewhat related note, the band released a demo EP prior to this which is in a similar vein, but it's seems to be before they decided to make their lyrics more open to interpretation. I've uploaded a couple of the songs onto youtube, but you can find what seems to be a legal download of the demo by searching for "Rishloo Feratu" on google. The demo's only three tracks, but they're all good, despite still obviously being rough around the edges.

Someone should add it to their releases. I've tried, but the update never gets approved, presumably because the demo's so obscure that staff don't find it immediately by googling the demo's title.

Cipieron
June 24th 2013

seems you only have two of those three songs uploaded... Sometimes and Feratu... what is the third one?

June 24th 2013

The third one is named "Soundtrack". Not sure why I didn't upload it, but my uploading software trial ran out so I can't really do it now. It's easy enough to download though, anyways.

June 24th 2013

That's awesome I'll have to try to get my hands on those songs

PayneTiger777
March 21st 2014

"The Water is Fine" is so damn good.

March 21st 2014

Yea that harlequin, Terras, romance of a dead kingdom. Fantastic.

emester
March 21st 2014

I really enjoy these guys.

dont they have a new album in the works?

March 21st 2014

Fuck yea they do. Everything I've heard from the recording process sounds promising

PayneTiger777
March 21st 2014

"Lovely Room" is also very good. I haven't listened to this album in a while, mostly because I usually listen to their other two.