Mudvayne
The Beginning of All Things to End

good

by LeviofDoom USER (1 Reviews)
June 8th, 2013 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Beginning of All Things to End showcases Mudvayne's talent as a band, but not so much as writers.

The Beginning of All Things to End is a re-release of Mudvayne’s first EP, Kill, I Oughta, released in 1997. After Mudvayne started gaining mainstream success the EP was selling for upwards of $200 on ebay and Mudvayne’s record label at the time, Epic, saw that as a great chance to make some money. The Beginning is a compilation of all the songs on Kill, I Oughta with two remixes of the single “Dig” from L.D. 50 and the seventeen-minute song “L.D. 50” which was broken up on their debut LP to produce the electronic interludes between songs.

The Beginning kicks off with the pointless and immature “Poop Loser,” a very short song with samples of a baby crying and arguing in the background, with Chad’s spoken vocals eventually progressing into a shout, leading into “Seed.” “Seed” gives us a sample of what to expect from Mudvayne, as it features Chad’s sporadic vocals, distorted guitar by Greg Tribbett and well-engineered time signature changes. “Cultivate” is much of the same, but even better, as the bass makes its presence even more apparent; strangely enough Ryan Martinie, Mudvayne’s future bassist is absent on the album. Instead Shawn Barclay takes the spotlight here, and while not as technical as Martinie, Shawn can play the bass.

“Some Assembly Required” is nothing different than the first couple tracks; Matt McDonough keeps impressing with his drumming; the guitar sticks close to the percussion while the bass roams freely, and Chad shouts in his unique style. But the quality of the songwriting and lyrical content start to go downhill here; a problem that persists throughout the entirety of the album. “Central Disposal,” “Coal,” and “Fear” were all recorded at a live show and surprisingly, it doesn't affect the quality of the music much at all. “Central Disposal” was starting to shape up as one of my favorites on the album until the chorus. Someone, it might be Shawn or Greg, starts shouting something like “What now" Someone!!” ...and it sounds like what I’d like to imagine a herd of llamas in a gas chamber might sound like.

“Coal” starts with an interesting guitar lick by Greg, shortly followed by vocals and then an equally unique bassline. After the drums come in, the song proceeds in the same vein as songs such as “I.D.I.O.T” and “Seed,” only to return to the experimentation mentioned before. “Fear” is nothing spectacular, with a borderline-annoying chorus and sub-par lyrics. The Remixes of “Dig” are well-produced but not as good as the original, which I might say I’m also not a big fan of. “L.D. 50” is a fun song to listen to bits and pieces of at a time, such as on L.D. 50, but as a seventeen-minute song it starts to drag horribly.

The Beginning of All Things to End is Mudvayne in the rawest form, and you can definitely tell that each member is a talented musician. The writing and production leave quite a bit to be desired, sadly, and that hinders the album. Songs such as “Cultivate,” “Seed,” and “Coal” show the bands potential and provide a glimpse as to what the band’s debut LP L.D. 50 could and would become in the not too distant future.

2.9
good
Maniac! (2.5)
This is the beginning. The beginning of Mudvayne that is. This is where the Peoria, Illinois met...

mudvayne_bass_player (3)

June 7th 2013

This wasn't supposed to be a huge wall of text... how do I edit in tabs?

XingKing
June 7th 2013

Just hit enter to break up the paragraphs.

The only thing I find redeeming about this release is that it shows us how borderline shitty Mudvayne were and then something magical happened and they wrote the monstrous L.D. 50 before falling into mediocrity again.

TEOATTC wasn't mediocre

June 8th 2013

I feel like a dumbass right now, but how do I edit?

Vakarian12
June 8th 2013

go to your profile, click 'edit my reviews/albums on the left side of the screen, just under your picture

June 8th 2013

"Thanks, and to whoever negged me: fuck you. Its my first review, cut me some slack. At least give me some feedback."

This is sputnik. Get used to it.

Gwyn.
June 8th 2013

"The only thing I find redeeming about this release is that it shows us how borderline shitty Mudvayne
mediocrity again. "

Kill I Oughta was their first release, and this was released after L.D. 50.

Decent review, will give feedback later too lazy atm

June 8th 2013

"and this was released after L.D. 50."

Released and recorded are two different things

The point he was making was about the previously recorded material on this and how it contrasts with
the LD50 material

Gwyn.
June 8th 2013

hmm, didn't know this was written earlier

June 8th 2013

It's a compilation of old material and remixes from LD

FadedSun
June 8th 2013

I really want Ryan Martinie to start another project other than Mudvayne. He has a lot of talent and needs to show it more out of Mudvayne.

June 8th 2013

Fadedsun, i completely agree with you. He and Matt are both extremely talented musicians.

XingKing
June 8th 2013

"hmm, didn't know this was written earlier"

Dear god, if this came out AFTER LD 50, I'd wonder what the fuck happened. Also, I will agree that The End of All Things to Come is a decent effort, but they've got more shitty albums then good ones at this point.

June 9th 2013

Maniac, i just realized the other review of this album is yours.

Gwynbliedd, whatever happened to that feedback you were gonna give me?

June 9th 2013

"Maniac, i just realized the other review of this album is yours."

It was also my first review. Now we have something in common.