Dilute
The Gypsy Valentine Curve

by LilLioness USER (7 Reviews)
April 22nd, 2013 | 37 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Marty Anderson is bonkers.

The former band known as Dilute are as left of the dial as an indie band can get. Between the alternating cacophonous shrieks and hushed muttering of Marty Anderson, the static downtempo sections that can last up to four or five minutes and the spontaneous time signature changes in a somewhat similar vein to Mr. Bungle, Dilute are not for those who like their music accessible in the broadest sense. As if in testament to the free-flowing nature of the 2000 release, The Gypsy Valentine Curve, the album ends with one of the members saying, “I have no idea what key that was.”

The album was released on a small label and the production shows it. There are numerous points at which someone says something in the background and the quiet moments have a tendency to sound open, unlike the modern day digital practice of making music sound full and compressed. This mostly works to the band’s favor as the louder moments hit that much harder because of how hollow the quiet moments are.

Not everything on the album works, though. “Saving a Life” opens with a shrill, twinkly plucked guitar lead and a disharmoniously strummed bass. These are eventually matched to Anderson’s incomprehensible wailing and a beat that makes the drums themselves sound inebriated. Just as this track begins odd, it ends with a few minutes of stop and go blasts of random noise. The opener, “Bea”, has Anderson singing about “bees lining up” during a lullaby like rhythm punctuated by explosions of percussion.

However, as alienating as some of the odder moments can be, there are even more beautiful sections that are easy to enjoy. “Queer Dork Song” finds a strong balance between the quiet, brewing jam and the melodic heavy rock sections which culminates in an ethereal vocal outro. “Rock and or Roll” continues the prior track’s straight forward rocking and pairs it with a growing ear worm melody akin to an alt rock tune that would have been big in the late ‘90s. It is at this point of the album that lyrics transition from incomprehensible and bizarre to morbidly funny. Throughout the track, the sunny melody is accompanied by the rough chanting of “murder murder murder” and Anderson delicately singing “oh woah oh oh suicide”. In “Freedumb”, Anderson crones about how “Freedom/It’s a drag” which ignites bass-driven metal riffing.

The Gypsy Valentine Curve is an overlooked gem of turn of the century indie rock that has its own very strong personality. Some of the more oddball characteristics can work against it, depending on the listener’s tastes, but there is plenty here to space out to.

Eisbrecher SchockGeinoh Yamashirogumi Ecophony Rinne
Geinoh Yamashirogumi Symphonic Suite AkiraGeinoh Yamashirogumi Ecophony Gaia
Yamantaka // Sonic Titan UzuUlver Messe I.X-VI.X
Trebor. STAFF (2)
Sorry Potsy...

indigonowhere

Wow, a Lioness review! You're a good writer, keep it up =]

April 22nd 2013

:D Thank you. I was actively listening and re-listening to parts of the record as I was writing this even after many listens so I could be as precise as I wanted to be.

toxin.

Kman418
April 22nd 2013

heard a song off this the other day and loved it, might check out the rest at some point

April 22nd 2013

I don't know, toxin. I subbed it at 6 yesterday and it replaced Trebor's and showed up on the main page around 10. Unless someone really has it in for me.

Hellyeah, Kman.

JamieTwort
April 22nd 2013

Excellent first reivew, pos'd.

Thank you, Jamie. :D

April 22nd 2013

"good review, any chance this gets flagged? i know the other is contrib but it's also objectively awful"

[2]

Digging: Soundtrack (Film) - A Star is Born

April 22nd 2013

XD Trebor, you have several good reviews so it balances out.

Thank you, Captain.

excellent debut review!

April 29th 2013

Thank you very much. I have been working on a new one for one of my personal faves over the last few days.

April 29th 2013

:3 I am gad I managed to give this album a fairer, more in depth evaluation.

April 29th 2013

XD His rating indeed sucked. The band took several listens for me to even be able to identify what the fuck they were doing. But yeah, it is a high end 3.5 for me.

I know I know

Cygnatti

lol trebs

Digging: Mid-Air Thief - Crumbling

silentpotampon

gypsyyyyyyy

April 29th 2013

“I have no idea what key that was.”

Honestly, one of the best ever spoken comments on any album I have heard and acts as a perfect ending to the album. :D

April 29th 2013

It is a shame that Anderson hasn't been up to a whole lot in recent years (from what I could find).

Days of Future Passed
May 15th 2013

This is a really good first review. You should review more!

Tyler.
September 14th 2014

i like this more than their second release