Darkstar (UK)
News From Nowhere

by Sleaper USER (3 Reviews)
March 4th, 2013 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2013 | Tracklist

Review Summary: merriweather part II? I don’t know, you decide.

I had only discovered this band a short while ago on a scorching summers day. It was 45 degrees, and i was literally melting away on my computer. So why not go on a discovery binge, drip away and listen to the new darkstar album. Man was that a good choice.

This album has a sort of vibe to it that anyone can grasp and morph into any setting they want. For me, i automatically had this winter wonderland atmosphere in my mind as soon as i hit play. And somehow it took me away from this disgusting climate and dropped me into the north pole with a sub zero mind set.
Its so dreamy and bizarre that it comes across as something you want to listen to, to get you away from reality. I feel as though any Meriwether post pavilion fan could appreciate this. Its got the same loopiness and pop sensations that made us all want to be listening addicts.

The album starts off with Light body clock starter, which to me was quite a slow start. Although Its droney and sort of ambient, its very atmospheric which allows the listener to create the setting and environment that he thinks suits the album. “wake me up” is repeated in this song, which basically creates this feeling that your waking up from a dream and the adventure is just about to begin.

As the album progresses, the songs become more uplifting and energetic. With the crazy sample loops to the quirky emotions it conveys.
Once track seven hits the play bar, (by far the strongest track on the album), the emotions change drastically. Its like youve just hit this pinata filled with energy, and upon exploding, everything around you has just been put on this psychedelic high.
The sounds that darkstar loop on the more uplifting songs are so weird that it really makes you question your physical positioning. Am i asleep on my pillow?. From train whistles to 80s synth lines, it really has it all in terms of loops. Although its not the best dreamy psych pop album out there, it is still really good.

Listening to news from nowhere is really an adventure, and an exciting one at that. Although i feel that this album kind of hits a low point from tracks three to five, and almost bores the listener. But then again if you listen all the way through it, the sound explosions from tracks six onwards are created by the lack of excitement in the three previous tracks.

The closer for the album “hold me down” works so well to end the dream. It builds up quite a bit with those quirky loops i was talking about, and just stops with this ambient noise for the last minute. Relaxing the listener and slowly dragging him back down to reality.

I feel as though this really could have been awesome if the album didn’t have those slow moments. In saying that, its still great and definitely an experience to listen to. Every listen i have of this, I realize all these new noises that ive never heard. Its almost like every listen is different. You can truly tell this album has a bunch of inspirations, Mainly m83 and Animal Collective, and its really left me intrigued as to what else they have up their sleeve for their next release.

NightmareCinema16 (4)
While it’s from nowhere, it’s good news....

March 4th 2013

note: the artist from the datebase is not the same band.

Adash
March 4th 2013

Very glad you reminded me of this, time to acquire

March 4th 2013

yeh im suprised its so unappreciated..

NeoSpaz
March 4th 2013

might need to check this, cool review man

March 4th 2013

cheers dude. still unsure of why this appears under rock but what evz

NightmareCinema16

2016 Comments

I asked the moderators to see if they could switch this album to Darkstar (UK), the correct page I made with the other album, North. I also have my own review I made a few weeks preemptive to this one. Even though you already posted one, I'll just post mine anyways.

March 4th 2013

yeh its kinda annoying that this is linked to some 80s prog metal band haha.

would be sweet if they could move this over.

kingsoby1
March 7th 2013

armonica is so good

SwayzeFaced
March 16th 2013

def in my top ten of '13 so far. great review.

Ziio
March 31st 2013

The album feels kind of hit or miss. I mean, nothing is outright bad as the stuff I do like, it is pretty enjoyable. But when it hits a lull, I feel like I'd rather just listen to M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming.

March 31st 2013