Black Sabbath
Forbidden

by 91sam USER (3 Reviews)
January 25th, 2013 | 7 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It may not be the worst album ever created, but nothing special about it...

When it comes to music, i'm really open minded so i decided that i begin to focus more on albums that people think that they suck, so i decided to begin with this album "forbidden''. I'm a huge black sabbath fan, my favourite era is yes the tony martin's era, i even love to listen to his solo and collaborations efforts, if you ask me if Iommi focused on the martin/cozy line up they could have made an awesome job, they did so in albums like the headless cross but i don't know Iommi seemed to be focusing more on the idea of a reunion which was true according to martin fact is this album here according to some was made due to contractual and legal stuff. Ok so is this the worst album ever created?? is it bad?? Well no, but on the other hand it is not good either, it is somewhere in the middle, the album has its good moments. The album here lacks the magic that made me fall in love with the tony martin's era, tony's vocals are not as good as his efforts in tyr and the headless cross, the production was really bad, it felt as if they recorded the album in Iommi's backyard. Another thing is you could feel that some songs here are recycled you'll get the feeling that you listened to this before, for example get a grip sounds like zero the hero from the album born again, so yeah the album felt uninspired and rushed. What really made me want to scratch my head is the song that they decided to open the album with "illusion of power'' I really don't know who thought that this was a good idea to open the album with such a song, i don't say that it is bad but come on why on hell did they decided to make it the opener as for the Ice T part it felt forced, and no i'm not against the idea of using a rapper (he has a metal band though) but i think it didn't add anything to the song. Another problem is that even though i listened to this album a lot of times nothing stuck in my memories but the same 3 or 4 songs, so the album also lacks memorable or interesting moments like the ones in the other tony martin's era albums, so the album here suffers from the following: -
1) uninspired and recycled songs.
2) Bad production.
3) nothing memorable.
4) Tony Martin's singing.
5) The feeling that they wanted to wrap this thing up to shove it in the label's throat to finish the contract.
6) A bad choice for an opener.
On the other hand there are some good moments, there are some songs that made me say ''well its not that bad of an album'', for example ''kiss of death'', now this song is one of my black Sabbath's favourite songs, i really do love this song, it has this creepy and doomy feeling, the lyrics are good, tony martin does a goo job in this song, i love the led zeppelin inspired instrumental part in the middle of the song, so yes this is one of the songs that stuck in my memory after listening to the album which made me ask why didn't Iommi (since he's the head of the band) and said to himself well my hey days are behind me yes, but this line up produced some great stuff plus i've a nice group of followers especially in Europe screw a reunion and lets focus on making a good album, songs like kiss of death and the somewhat good ballad '' I won't cry for you'', moving on, i also liked Rusty Angeles its a good song but it has its problems tbh, the ***ty production ruined the song for me plus i got the feeling that tony martain was bored during the recording of this song.
so the songs that i liked: -
1) Kiss of death.
2) I won't cry for you.
3) mmm guilty as hell and rusty angles are somewhat good but damn i felt Martian was really bored during the recording of these songs, so mmm yeah 2 to 4 songs are what caught my attention, put in mind that two of these 4 songs suffer from a lot of problems.So is this a bad album hell no, its an average album that well you'll forget about after a while. This is my first ever review i hope that you like it, even if it sucks i'm a beginner.

1.7
very poor

PsychicChris
January 25th 2013

It's weird, I actually kinda like this album. It's not great but the writing is pretty decent and the ballads are some of their best.

91sam
January 25th 2013

Well yeah its not awful but not good as well i see that 2.5 (average) is fair for the album, 3 is too much and 2 is not fair, what pissed me off is the production it was bad lol, well thanks guys, as i said its my first ever review :D

facupm

pos'

album is bland though

linguist2011
January 25th 2013

Black Sabbath have had many failed line-ups after Ozzy left, but this album is almost completely embarrassing. As for the review, I won't neg but the punctuation and grammar here needs a little work. Plus divide the whole thing into separate paragraphs so it reads a little better and avoid over-using 'I'. Apart from that you raised everything that is wrong and right with this album.

Digging: Gazpacho - Fireworker

91sam

@linguist2011 that's the kind of advice that i need. Cheers mate,,,

miketunneyiscool123
March 16th 2015

I don't mind "Illusion Of Power." the rest blows

facupm
June 4th 2016

makes me wonder what you see